• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Cross link

With no experience with steam ovens, I've been directed to the CSO manual and @Okanagancook's excellent Excel spreadsheets (which are a compilation of recipes folks have posted to the CSO threads here). Because I'm new owner of an APO.

I'd like to understand the underlying rules for steam ovens in general and the CSO in particular.

In the Excel spreadsheet for CSO recipes, eG cooks chose both Bake Steam function and Broil Steam function to prepare Salmon.

• Why would you choose one function over the other? What rules govern your selection?

Bake Steam defaults to 30 minutes @ 350F (180C), can be set between 225F to 450F (62C - 230C)

Broil Steam defaults to 10 minutes @ 500F (260C), can be set between 300F to 500F (62C - 230C)

• Can one also increase or decrease cooking time in a function?
  • Do different parts of the oven come on in different function?
  • Are the cooking modes sequential or simultaneous? I.e. is there one long cooking mode using some amount of steam and the set temperature, or is there a "steam" phase and then a "dry" phase?
  • In other words, is the difference between Bake Steam and Broil Steam merely a "starting position" and, therefore, a Marketing button?

Are you aware of material (ebooks, blog posts, interviews) which discusses what the engineers were thinking about as this oven was designed? I'm looking for a description of the ACTUAL programming for the device.

Update of my status on APO thread.

TdeV

TdeV

With no experience with steam ovens, I've been directed to the CSO manual and @Okanagancook's excellent Excel spreadsheets (which are a compilation of recipes folks have posted to the CSO threads here). Because I'm new owner of an APO.

I'd like to understand the underlying rules for steam ovens in general and the CSO in particular.

In the Excel spreadsheet for CSO recipes, eG cooks chose both Bake Steam function and Broil Steam function to prepare Salmon.

• Why would you choose one function over the other? What rules govern your selection?

Bake Steam defaults to 30 minutes @ 350F (180C), can be set between 225F to 450F (62C - 230C)

Broil Steam defaults to 10 minutes @ 500F (260C), can be set between 300F to 500F (62C - 230C)

• Can one also increase or decrease cooking time in a function?
  • Do different parts of the oven come on in different function?
  • Are the cooking modes sequential or simultaneous? I.e. is there one long cooking mode using some amount of steam and the set temperature, or is there a "steam" phase and then a "dry" phase?
  • In other words, is the difference between Bake Steam and Broil Steam merely a "starting position" and, therefore, a Marketing button?

Are you aware of material (ebooks, blog posts, interviews) which discusses what the engineers were thinking about as this oven was designed? I'm looking for a description of the ACTUAL programming for the device.