• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

I made bread again tonight. I followed a recipe exactly but for my taste this bread has too much yeast and rise too rapidly. I'll adjust that another time. Also, this was not a fair comparison in terms of timing...after the first rise, I divided the dough in the two sets of molds (85 g per cavity, another time, I'll do 70 g). I brushed with egg wash and I put 1 set in the CSO, steam function at 100 F for just 5 minutes and turned off. I put a bowl with hot water in my Cadco oven and put in the second set. I took them out of the oven after about 20 minutes, it was a very quick rise. And I brushed again with egg wash. Maybe the bowl of water was more effective, the bread on the right was in the Cadco.

pane cso & cadco 1.JPG

The bread on the left went in the CSO bread function 375 for 18 minutes. Just out of the oven I put the little loaves on the  rack to cool on their sides, now standing to take a better picture.

pane cso & cadco 2.JPG

The bread in the Cadco had to wait an additional 20 minutes for the oven to preheat (next time, I'll move the hot bowl and bread somewhere else to proof, so I can preheat the oven at the same time). Because of this the 2nd batch was a little over proofed. 

Of course, the kids couldn't wait to try even if the bread was too hot. I'll wait in the morning to really judge the difference.

My Cadco has a manual steam injection function (and I pressed for steam 3 times the firsts minutes of baking) then cooked at convection at 375 F for 18 minutes.

pane cso & cadco 3.JPG

As you can see the bread in the Cadco, besides being over proofed, had that beautiful shine that was missing in the bread baked in the CSO. Also, my son, which tried far more bread than me and is my test taster found the bread in the CSO a little gummy. I'll try it again tomorrow morning and possible sacrifice myself with another trial in the next few days:D

pane cso & cadco 4.JPG

Franci

Franci

I made bread again tonight. I followed a recipe exactly but for my taste this bread has too much yeast and rise too rapidly. I'll adjust that another time. Also, this was not a fair comparison in terms of timing...after the first rise, I divided the dough in the two sets of molds (85 g per cavity, another time, I'll do 70 g). I brushed with egg wash and I put 1 set in the CSO, steam function at 100 F for just 5 minutes and turned off. I put a bowl with hot water in my Cadco oven and put in the second set. I took them out of the oven after about 20 minutes, it was a very quick rise. And I brushed again with egg wash. Maybe the bowl of water was more effective, the bread on the right was in the Cadco.

pane cso & cadco 1.JPG

The bread on the left went in the CSO bread function 375 for 18 minutes. Just out of the oven I put the little loaves on the  rack to cool on their sides, now standing to take a better picture.

pane cso & cadco 2.JPG

The bread in the Cadco had to wait an additional 20 minutes for the oven to preheat (next time, I'll move the hot bowl and bread somewhere else to proof, so I can preheat the oven at the same time). Because of this the 2nd batch was a little over proofed. 

Of course, the kids couldn't wait to try even if the bread was too hot. I'll wait in the morning to really judge the difference.

My Cadco has a manual steam injection function (and I pressed for steam 3 times the firsts minutes of baking) then cooked at convection at 375 F for 18 minutes.

pane cso & cadco 3.JPG

As you can see the bread in the Cadco, besides being over proofed, had that beautiful shine that was missing in the bread bakes in the CSO. Also, my son, which tried far more bread than me and is my test taster find the bread in the CSO a little gummy. I'll try it again tomorrow morning and possible sacrifice myself with another trial in the next few days:D

pane cso & cadco 4.JPG