• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Saci Pererê

Saci Pererê

2 hours ago, chefmd said:

I am planning to broil it before serving.  Tasted a little piece, tender and delicious, fatty part melts in the mouth

Yum! I gotta try some pig in the little oven, thanks for the inspiration.  That bit of meat looks perfect for chopping up some, sauté with tomatoes/onions/garlic, instant pasta sauce! Just to show off something in completely the opposite direction, I've been making a lot of middle eastern / mediterranean rim food lately, trying to be healthy(ish). The CSO is such a help, cooks off all kinds of veggies for me to combine into dishes later. For instance:20160830_184718-1.jpg

So this is a zuchinni, cherry tomato, and greens salad in the lower right - all stuff that I had roasted earlier in the day (tomatos collapse into a delicious mush/proto-sauce).  Orzo salad is boiled, of course. But the stuffed veggies! The red peppers I steam/baked the day before, super-easy to peel, stuff with goat cheese and convection bake for 20 mins. The stuffed zucchini (standing) was just some extra that I cored out with my veggie peeler, added goat cheese, baked with the peppers. Multiply all by two and I had a great dinner for my sweetie and me.

I'd NEVER have done this my regular oven for less than an entire dinner party. Way too much hassle - pre-heating, having to clean an entire sheet pan afterwards (yes, I use parchment paper or my sil-plat, but you still gotta clean), bending over (it's a range oven), guessing at timing. For me, that's the real convenience of the CSO, it's just so easy to do little things that otherwise would be a big production.

Along the same lines:20160917_143941_1474142860928-1-1.jpg

Clockwise from the top left - Steam-Roasted cauliflower (425/30 min) with a yogurt/herb sauce. Steam-Roasted Brussel Sprouts (425/30 min)with cherry tomatoes and feta. Store-bought pita bread toasted at 5. Ripe garden tomato with a sauce of tahini whizzed up with Steam-Roasted garlic (400/20 min).

Lastly, just experimenting:

20160908_134026_1474142955087.jpg

Whole-wheat flatbread with black sesame seeds (oops, I rolled a bit too thin). Your basic bread flour/wheat flour/water/salt/yeast dough, risen overnight in the fridge, roll out and throw in the oven. The only trick here was to ramp up the Convection bake as high as it goes (500) and to bake on the back of the roasting pan (flip it over). Preheat it till it's good and hot, then pull it out on the toaster rails (dry kitchen towel!) when you toss the bread on. Worked great!

I made a plum tart the other night - blind-baked leftover paté sucrée from the freezer (defrosted earlier), spread some strawberry jam on the bottom, cut plums in half and stuck them on top, Steam-Roast to finish (400ish/30 min, but I pulled it out when I could smell baked plums). Took maybe an hour total, most of which I spend watching Netflix. Tart was eaten faster than I could photograph it.... :) 

Suffice to say, I use the CSO every day, one of the best kitchen purchases I've ever made.

Saci Pererê

Saci Pererê

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

I am planning to broil it before serving.  Tasted a little piece, tender and delicious, fatty part melts in the mouth

Yum! I gotta try some pig in the little oven, thanks for the inspiration.  That bit of shoulder looks perfect for chopping up some, sauté with tomatoes/onions/garlic, instant pasta sauce! Just to show off something in completely the opposite direction, I've been making a lot of middle eastern / mediterranean rim food lately, trying to be healthy(ish). The CSO is such a help, cooks off all kinds of veggies for me to combine into dishes later. For instance:20160830_184718-1.jpg

So this is a zuchinni, cherry tomato, and greens salad in the lower right - all stuff that I had roasted earlier in the day (tomatos collapse into a delicious mush/proto-sauce).  Orzo salad is boiled, of course. But the stuffed veggies! The red peppers I steam/baked the day before, super-easy to peel, stuff with goat cheese and convection bake for 20 mins. The stuffed zucchini (standing) was just some extra that I cored out with my veggie peeler, added goat cheese, baked with the peppers. Multiply all by two and I had a great dinner for my sweetie and me.

I'd NEVER have done this my regular oven for less than an entire dinner party. Way too much hassle - pre-heating, having to clean an entire sheet pan afterwards (yes, I use parchment paper or my sil-plat, but you still gotta clean), bending over (it's a range oven), guessing at timing. For me, that's the real convenience of the CSO, it's just so easy to do little things that otherwise would be a big production.

Clockwise from the top left - Steam-Roasted cauliflower (425/30 min) with a yogurt/herb sauce. Steam-Roasted Brussel Sprouts (425/30 min)with cherry tomatoes and feta. Store-bought pita bread toasted at 5. Ripe garden tomato with a sauce of tahini whizzed up with Steam-Roasted garlic (400/20 min).

Whole-wheat flatbread with black sesame seeds (oops, I rolled a bit too thin). Your basic bread flour/wheat flour/water/salt/yeast dough, risen overnight in the fridge, roll out and throw in the oven. The only trick here was to ramp up the Convection bake as high as it goes (500) and to bake on the back of the roasting pan (flip it over). Preheat it till it's good and hot, then pull it out on the toaster rails (dry kitchen towel!) when you toss the bread on. Worked great!

I made a plum tart the other night - blind-baked leftover paté sucrée from the freezer (defrosted earlier), spread some strawberry jam on the bottom, cut plums in half and stuck them on top, Steam-Roast to finish (400ish/30 min, but I pulled it out when I could smell baked plums). Took maybe an hour total, most of which I spend watching Netflix. Tart was eaten faster than I could photograph it.... :) 

Suffice to say, I use the CSO every day, one of the best kitchen purchases I've ever made.

Saci Pererê

Saci Pererê

58 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Yum! I gotta try some pig in the little oven, thanks for the inspiration. Just to show off something in completely the opposite direction, I've been making a lot of middle eastern / mediterranean rim food lately, trying to be healthy(ish). The CSO is such a help, cooks off all kinds of veggies for me to combine into dishes later. For instance:20160830_184718-1.jpg

Saci Pererê

Saci Pererê

54 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Yum! I gotta try some pig in the little oven, thanks for the inspiration. Just to show off something in completely the opposite direction, I've been making a lot of middle eastern / mediterranean rim food lately, trying to be healthy(ish). The CSO is such a help, cooks off all kinds of veggies for me to combine into dishes later. For instance:20160830_184718-1.jpg

I made a plum tart the other night - blind-baked leftover paté sucrée from the freezer after I defrosted the ball of dough on low steam, spread some strawberry jam on the bottom, cut plums in half and stuck them on top, Steam-Roast to finish (400ish/30 min, but I pulled it out when I could smell baked plums). Took maybe an hour total, most of which I spend watching Netflix. Tart was eaten faster than I could photograph it.... :) 

Saci Pererê

Saci Pererê

48 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I made a plum tart the other night - blind-baked leftover paté sucre from the freezer after I defrosted the ball of dough on low steam, spread some strawberry jam on the bottom, cut plums in half and stuck them on top, Steam-Roast to finish (400ish/30 min, but I pulled it out when I could smell baked plums). Took maybe an hour total, most of which I spend watching Netflix. Tart was eaten faster than I could photograph it.... :) 

Saci Pererê

Saci Pererê

45 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Saci Pererê

Saci Pererê

17 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Whole-wheat flatbread with black sesame seeds (oops, I burnt it a bit). Your basic bread flour/wheat flour/water/salt/yeast dough, risen overnight in the fridge, roll out and throw in the oven. The only trick here was to ramp up the Convection bake as high as it goes (500) and to bake on the back of the roasting pan (flip it over). Preheat it till it's good and hot, then pull it out on the toaster rails (dry kitchen towel!) when you toss the bread on. Worked great!