• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Saci Pererê

Saci Pererê

21 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Anybody else have have some easy tips for immediate casual use?

Veggies of all sorts... break up some cauliflower florets, toss with oil, steam-bake 400ish 30 mins. Potatoes, peel, cube, ditto 40 mins. Beets..yum. Two big sweet potatoes. Steam-bake red peppers. 20 mins. Etc, etc. Basically all the stuff that you know is good roasted, just done faster and with less hassle. 

Personally, I've been using the CSO as a "robot sous-chef." Poach some eggs in a plate while I'm cooking off a steak. Roast a head of garlic for a salad dressing - normally I don't roast garlic unless I'm doing a dozen heads at once. Roast a few hot peppers for me to mash into a sauce. Make two dinner rolls. Refresh yesterday's baguette while I sautee some veggies. Keep stuff warm while I finish making dinner. Roast stuffed veggies while I grill a chicken breast. Toast some pecans. Steam that last bit of honey out of the bottom of the jar so I can pour it on waffles.

All very, very convenient! Especially for doing small things that I'd normally only do in bulk (the roast garlic, yeah I'm probably wasting tons of energy, but I'm saving on storage hassle). 

Saci Pererê

Saci Pererê

21 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Veggies of all sorts... break up some cauliflower florets, toss with oil, steam-bake 400ish 30 mins. Potatoes, peel, cube, ditto 40 mins. Beets..yum. Two big sweet potatoes. Steam-bake red peppers. 20 mins. Etc, etc. Basically all the stuff that you know is good roasted, just done faster and with less hassle. 

Personally, I've been using the CSO as a "robot sous-chef." Poach some eggs in a plate while I'm cooking off a steak. Roast a head of garlic for a salad dressing - normally I don't roast garlic unless I'm doing a dozen heads at once. Roast a few hot peppers for me to mash into a sauce. Make two dinner rolls. Refresh yesterday's baguette while I sautee some veggies. Keep stuff warm while I finish making dinner. Roast stuffed veggies whiile I grill a cicken breast. 

All very, very convenient! Especially for doing small things that I'd normally only do in bulk (the roast garlic, yeah I'm probably wasting tons of energy, but I'm saving on storage hassle). 

Saci Pererê

Saci Pererê

20 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Veggies of all sorts... break up some cauliflower florets, toss with oil, steam-bake 400ish 30 mins. Potatoes, peel, cube, ditto 40 mins. Beets..yum. Two big sweet potatoes. Steam-bake red peppers. 20 mins. Etc, etc. Basically all the stuff that you know is good roasted, just faster and with less hassle. 

Personally, I've been using the CSO as a "robot sous-chef." Poach some eggs in a plate while I'm cooking off a steak. Roast a head of garlic for a salad dressing - normally I don't roast garlic unless I'm doing a dozen heads at once. Roast a few hot peppers for me to mash into a sauce. Make two dinner rolls. Refresh yesterday's baguette while I sautee some veggies. Keep stuff warm while I finish making dinner. Roast stuffed veggies whiile I grill a cicken breast.