• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Saci Pererê

Saci Pererê

@Shelby Thank you for the welcome!

@rotutsBingo! Why didn't I think of that? Physics 101:

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

it would take more energy  i.e. time to get both pans to the state of a single pan.

Of course! When I put in twice the eggs, whether it's in one bowl or two, then I have twice the mass to cook with the same amount of energy (45 mins of 170F steam x internal volume of the oven). I have to increase the temp and/or the time and/or the steam saturation (super-steam) to cook my 6 eggs.

We don't notice this in a "regular" oven because the internal volume is so much larger and the energy loading is so much lower (no steam), i.e. if I wanted to cook scrambled eggs at 170F, I'd have to leave them in for hours at which point how many eggs I use hardly matters (and they'd dry out into rubber). 

Looks like time for more egg experimentation (eggspirements?). Fortunately, we have two dogs who eat my mistakes. During last week's Poached Egg Trials, they started following me back and forth to the CSO! For what it's worth, here is my "Perfect Poached Egg", a bit different from what was written up earlier in this thread:

-Use a small dish or large saucer, pour some water into it then out again. You want a wet plate, just enough for the egg to slide around.

-Use a fresh egg, 3-4 days at most. You want the "thick white" to still cling to the yolk, not be all watery (thin white) as it is with week-old eggs.

-Crack 1 egg into the wet dish, STEAM 10 minutes at 210F.

-Slide egg onto your serving plate, Voila!

Notes:

Depending how old your egg is, your poached egg may be lying in a pool of cooked "thin white." You can eat it, but I prefer to use a spoon to hold my poached egg back as I slide the thin white into the nearest dog (actually into a dog dish, they lap it up!).

You can crack two eggs onto the plate, just increase the time to 11 minutes. I guess that 3 eggs need 12 mins? I do know that the yolks go from perfectly runny to cooked awfully fast!

Saci Pererê

Saci Pererê

@Shelby Thank you for the welcome!

@rotutsBingo! Why didn't I think of that? Physics 101:

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

it would take more energy  i.e. time to get both pans to the state of a single pan.

Of course! When I put in twice the eggs, whether it's in one bowl or two, then I have twice the mass to cook with the same amount of energy (45 mins of 170F steam x internal volume of the oven). I have to increase the temp and/or the time and/or the steam saturation (super-steam) to cook my 6 egggs.

We don't notice this in a "regular" oven because the internal volume is so much larger and the energy loading is so much lower (no steam), i.e. if I wanted to cook an eggs at 170F, I'd have to leave them in for hours at which point how many eggs I use hardly matters (and they'd dry out into rubber). 

Looks like time for more egg experimentation (eggspirements?). Fortunately, we have two dogs who eat my mistakes. During last week's Poached Egg Trials, they started following me back and forth to the CSO! For what it's worth, here is my "Perfect Poached Egg", a bit different from what was written up earlier in this thread:

-Use a small dish or large saucer, pour some water into it then out again. You want a wet plate, just enough for the egg to slide around.

-Use a fresh egg, 3-4 days at most. You want the "thick white" to still cling to the yolk, not be all watery (thin white) as it is with week-old eggs.

-Crack 1 egg into the wet dish, STEAM 10 minutes at 210F.

-Slide egg onto your serving plate, Voila!

Notes:

Depending how old your egg is, your poached egg may be lying in a pool of cooked "thin white." You can eat it, but I prefer to use a spoon to hold my poached egg back as I slide the thin white into the nearest dog (actually into a dog dish, they lap it up!).

You can crack two eggs onto the plate, just increase the time to 11 minutes. I guess that 3 eggs need 12 mins? I do know that the yolks go from perfectly runny to cooked awfully fast!