• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

16 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thomas' English Muffins were on sale.  Hence my first experiment with toast in the CSO.  I agree there is an impressive difference.  But I'm not sure that means I like the CSO toast better -- compared to toast from my old (Braun, I think*) toaster.

I tried one muffin on a setting of 4 and it was underdone.  Another muffin I toasted on a setting of 5.  Better, though still flaccid.

Guidance would be welcome.

*I can see the toaster from the bedroom, but I cannot easily reach it to ascertain its provenance.

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No help with toasting English Muffins?  Anyone?

Edit:  I used black current preserves.

For everything I toast (e.g. bagels, muffins, breads of various provenance), I first toast at 3, turn the product over, and then add increments, starting with 2, until I get the toast browned the way I like it.  I should add most of what I toast starts out frozen, as I usually freeze breads very soon after I get them home.

Every bread product, every thickness, requires an adjustment in my opinion. 

weinoo

weinoo

15 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thomas' English Muffins were on sale.  Hence my first experiment with toast in the CSO.  I agree there is an impressive difference.  But I'm not sure that means I like the CSO toast better -- compared to toast from my old (Braun, I think*) toaster.

I tried one muffin on a setting of 4 and it was underdone.  Another muffin I toasted on a setting of 5.  Better, though still flaccid.

Guidance would be welcome.

*I can see the toaster from the bedroom, but I cannot easily reach it to ascertain its provenance.

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No help with toasting English Muffins?  Anyone?

Edit:  I used black current preserves.

For everything I toast (e.g. bagels, muffins, breads of various provenance), I first toast at 3, turn the product over, and then add increments, starting with 2, until I get the toast browned the way I like it.I should add most of what I toast starts out frozen, as I usually freeze breads very soon after I get them home.

Every bread product, every thickness, requires an adjustment in my opinion.