• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What food-related books are you reading? (2016 -)

suzilightning

John Lanchester's A Debt to Pleasure.   I realize that this book is meant to be a tease, but the protagonist is such an unlikable pompous putz that I have to keep slapping myself upside the head not to get infuriated with him and abandon it.    Almost half way through and I'm told that's about where it starts getting good.    In the meantime, swap, swap....

Furthermore...while most critiques praise his food knowledge and the breezy recipes, I have had many quibbles with descriptions of a dish, procedure and seasonings.    But it is, we have to accept, written from a British POV.  

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

I read an article about that book and her journey on Eater (I think).  It was really interesting and I'd love to read the book.  I love how she started out with this idee fixe about what she was going to find in the towns and how her perspective changed when she met the people running the restaurants.  

Some weeks back @FauxPassent a copy of Susan Musgrave’s book A Taste of Haida Gwaii to @Kerry Beal. Knowing how much of a child I am when it comes to opening parcels, Kerry brought the package containing the book over to my house so I could open it. I was just so amazed to see it was a book by Susan Musgrave. Susan was one of my very early mentors when I was learning to write for publication. I asked Kerry if I could borrow the book for a few days and a few days of turned into a few weeks, mea culpa.

Susan was married 20+ years to one of Canada’s most notorious bank robbers.  Steven Reid was a member of the Stopwatch Gang. But if she is notorious for that, she is famous for her poetry and other writings. 

This book is much more than a recipe book although it does include many recipes from the bed and breakfast, Copper Beech House, which she acquired in 2010. It is part history, part travelogue, part autobiography. It always reveals Susan‘s irreverence for anything and everything. 

I am very much reminded of The Art of Living According to Joe Beef. 

The photography is phenomenal and I’m sure the recipes are worthy although most are a bit beyond my current capabilities. Some of the ingredients are foraged. 

Now I can return the book to Kerry. I feel bad about having held onto it so long. 

Sent from my iWatch.
  • Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:
Some weeks back @FauxPassent a copy of Susan Musgrave’s book A Taste of Haida Gwaii to @Kerry Beal. Knowing how much of a child I am when it comes to opening parcels, Kerry brought the package containing the book over to my house so I could open it. I was just so amazed to see it was a book by Susan Musgrave. Susan was one of my very early mentors when I was learning to write for publication. I asked Kerry if I could borrow the book for a few days and a few days of turned into a few weeks, mea culpa.

Susan was married 20+ years to one of Canada’s most notorious bank robbers.  Steven Reid was a member of the Stopwatch Gang. But if she is notorious for that, she is famous for her poetry and other writings. 

This book is much more than a recipe book although it does include many recipes from the bed and breakfast, Copper Beech House, which she acquired in 2010. It is part history, part travelogue, part autobiography. It always reveals Susan‘s irreverence for anything and everything. 

I am very much reminded of The Art of Living According to Joe Beef. 

The photography is phenomenal and I’m sure the recipes are worthy although most are a bit beyond my current capabilities. Some of the ingredients are foraged. 

Now I can return the book to Kerry. I feel bad about having held onto it so long. 

Sent from my iWatch.

Funny - was just thinking I need to fetch that home today - in exchange for the latest book I have obtained!

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Funny - was just thinking I need to fetch that home today - in exchange for the latest book I have obtained!

OK so this latest book is already the bane of my life. It is Too Many Chiefs Only One Indian. This is not a coffee table book – – this is a dining room table book provided the dining room table is very well constructed and can take some weight.  Sheesh. It is a restaurant book and one I am most unlikely to want to cook from but I’m still interested in at least leafing through it.  It will only happen on days when I can manage a breakfast of champions to give me the strength to wrestle with it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, Anna N said:

Ha, @Kerry Beal mentioned she was going to let you check it out first! I am just so pleased that someone else was able to enjoy it! I found it a fun read and thought Kerry might enjoy it, given her time on the Queen Charlottes aka Haida Gwaii. I am even more pleased that you were also interested in it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

OK so this latest book is already the bane of my life. It is Too Many Chiefs Only One Indian. This is not a coffee table book – – this is a dining room table book provided the dining room table is very well constructed and can take some weight.  Sheesh. It is a restaurant book and one I am most unlikely to want to cook from but I’m still interested in at least leafing through it.  It will only happen on days when I can manage a breakfast of champions to give me the strength to wrestle with it. 

That's probably the best looking restaurant book ever! I have similar feelings, I bought it when it came out years ago and still haven't read it, just for the fear of ruining it. I must remember to buy a pair of white silk gloves.

Teo

• Haha 1

Teo

1 hour ago, teonzo said:

That's probably the best looking restaurant book ever! I have similar feelings, I bought it when it came out years ago and still haven't read it, just for the fear of ruining it. I must remember to buy a pair of white silk gloves.

Teo

Teo - I told her to feel free to get it dirty or let the kittens chew it if she wants. I'd like to see it looked at!

• Haha 2

For about the fourth or fifth time, "Hometown Appetites, The Story of Clementine Paddleford."  As more of the great food writers and journalists fade away, and the great food magazines of yesteryear are gone, I'm drawn more and more to these folks.  

Hometown Appetites.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, David Ross said:

For about the fourth or fifth time, "Hometown Appetites, The Story of Clementine Paddleford."  As more of the great food writers and journalists fade away, and the great food magazines of yesteryear are gone, I'm drawn more and more to these folks.  

Hometown Appetites.jpg

I love that book!  It is on my "Keeper shelf" - never to give up because I, too, re-read it every couple of years.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Teo - I told her to feel free to get it dirty or let the kittens chew it if she wants. I'd like to see it looked at!

The voice of reason! I need to get past my obsession of keeping my books in pristine conditions. Time to pick this Sat Bains book off the shelves and finally read it. I remember liking the idea of the charts about the 5 tastes for each dish, unfortunately nobody followed this idea (at least I haven't seen any other book). Maybe I'll find the courage to tear away the page with "king" Roux, I found that photo really really sad, the book can only get better without it.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

I just finished Caroline Eden's Black Sea Dispatches and Recipes Through Darkness and Light.  Was hoping for insight on the foods of Georgia; unfortunately Eden never made it quite that far.  Interesting travelogue nonetheless.  It's said Tamerlane put to death five percent of the earth's population.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, teonzo said:

The voice of reason! I need to get past my obsession of keeping my books in pristine conditions.

Yup!  My late husband, bless his soul, missed so many fantastic photography opportunities because he didn’t want to get his expensive camera wet, sandy, bumped or bruised. And a beloved aunt died with so much stuff in mint condition that she had “saved for a rainy day”.  Use your stuff. Enjoy your stuff. That’s what it’s for. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

I am on book five of a series about a French policeman, setting in the fictional town of St. Denis, in the Dordogne region of France.  Bruno Courrèges is the character and the author is Martin Walker.  There is so much about French food  and wines and the making, eating and drinking thereof woven into each book.   Quite wonderful. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Yup!  My late husband, bless his soul, missed so many fantastic photography opportunities because he didn’t want to get his expensive camera wet, sandy, bumped or bruised. And a beloved aunt died with so much stuff in mint condition that she had “saved for a rainy day”.  Use your stuff. Enjoy your stuff. That’s what it’s for. 

You are absolutely right!

I was half joking because I really wanted to tear off that page with king Roux, I can't stand people taking themselves so seriously. I recalled how much I paid for the book and put it on the shelf. Haven't touched it from then because of my backlog combined to lack of time, for example my books of elBulli 2005-11 are still in the shrink wrap and I got it more than 5 years ago. I started reading an old confectionery book about 2 months ago and am about 1/3 of it...

Teo

Teo

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

I am on book five of a series about a French policeman, setting in the fictional town of St. Denis, in the Dordogne region of France.  Bruno Courrèges is the character and the author is Martin Walker.  There is so much about French food  and wines and the making, eating and drinking thereof woven into each book.   Quite wonderful. 

I LOVE Inspector Bruno! And his basset hound!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 hours ago, teonzo said:

You are absolutely right!

I was half joking because I really wanted to tear off that page with king Roux, I can't stand people taking themselves so seriously. I recalled how much I paid for the book and put it on the shelf. Haven't touched it from then because of my backlog combined to lack of time, for example my books of elBulli 2005-11 are still in the shrink wrap and I got it more than 5 years ago. I started reading an old confectionery book about 2 months ago and am about 1/3 of it...

Teo

I am trying to find a compromise where I can leaf through the book but not let the kittens have their way with it. Right now I have it open on the table they haven’t yet discovered. And I have started reading it. And what do you know? The chef and I have something in common. We were both born in Derby!

Edited by Anna N
Repetition (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...

I am halfway through McIlhenny's Gold: How a Louisiana Family Built the Tabasco Empire.  It's well-written and the geological facts about Avery Island (one of largest salt domes on earth), as well as how the family was able to trademark the word "tabasco" (illegally through political connections) are quite interesting.

When we were moving from the east to AZ in 2003, we stayed in New Iberia but didn't take the time to tour Avery Island and I always regretted that decision.  

https://www.amazon.com/McIlhennys-Gold-Louisiana-Family-Tabasco/dp/0060721855

Edited by gulfporter
added link to Amazon (log)
  • Like 2

Mr. Kim went to grad school with one of the McIlhenny girls.  She married into a local Richmond grocery store family.  The week after the wedding, Tabasco bottles appeared on all the tables in the cafe sections of the stores! 😄

I currently trying to read Burn the Ice: The American Culinary Revolution and Its End by Kevin Alexander.  I say trying not because of any fault of the book but because I quit smoking almost 2 months ago and reading is something that I associate very closely with smoking.  I've hardly read a word since quitting.  Anyway, I'm only about 50 pages in and have lots of thoughts.  It's a library book and I'm hoping I can finish it before it has to go back!

Goodreads page for the book:  Burn the Ice.

@chromedome, do you know much about salt cod cooking? After spending a long time on a wait list, I've finally got my own copy of SALT COD CUISINE: THE INTERNATIONAL TABLE by Edward A. Jones printed in 2013 with assistance from many folks and financial assistance from a Newfoundland university and Government of Newfoundland and Labrador.

The subject has fascinated me for some time.

• Like 1

Truthfully, here where it's caught and processed we're creatures of habit. There are basically just three dishes here using salt cod*: Salt fish and potatoes; fish and brewis; and fishcakes.

For the first, the fish is soaked briefly to make it pliable and then a) cooked in the pot with the potatoes (old school), or b) simmered in one pot while the potatoes are boiled separately in another (modern style). Separately, render out diced salt pork fatback. To serve, spoon the rendered fat and crunchy brown bits (scruncheons) over the fish and potatoes. Optionally, slice an onion into a small bowl of plain white vinegar an hour ahead of time, and have the onion rings and onion-scented vinegar as a garnish/condiment for the main meal (this is also good with fresh, pan-fried mackerel).

Fish & brewis is similar, but replaces the potatoes with "hard bread," which is the lineal descendant of the "ship's biscuit" of the sailing days or "hardtack" that fed the armies of centuries gone by. It's basically just flour, water and a bit of salt, baked to a stony texture which (if kept in an airtight tin or bag) prevents spoilage for years or decades. You soak it to soften it, then simmer it with the fish to absorb some flavor, then serve the fish as before with the quivering cake of stodge in lieu of potatoes. Leftover brewis is sometimes eaten warm or cold with molasses, as dessert. There's also a variation called "fisherman's brewis," which is the leftover fish and hard bread turned into hash with a bit of fried onion.

Fishcakes are typically leftover cooked fish and potatoes, mashed up together with (ideally) an egg for binder, and some finely chopped onion. They're breaded and fried, and served as part of a larger meal. A typical Newfoundland fisherman's working-day breakfast might include eggs, two or three fishcakes, a substantial quantity of baked beans, half a loaf of bread and a pot of tea.

The Europeans have a much deeper and richer variety of dishes using our signature product, as - for that matter - do the Caribbean nations. I've had many fine salt cod dishes from Jamaican farmer's market vendors, and joked with some of the older ones about how my grandfather probably caught and cured some of the fish they grew up on. He was, to all accounts (and my memory as well) something of a jerk, but he was also famously a perfectionist and even those who disliked him conceded that his fish was first-rate.

*Note that the versions involving "brewis" are Newfoundland-only, and won't be found in Nova Scotia or the other Maritime provinces.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I know nothing about salt cod...but when we go out for fish and chips, cod is our preference.  

Added:  fish and chips is one dish which I refuse to make or we'd have nothing to eat out for in our area.  And often the restaurants will not offer cod which is very sad to me.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

@chromedome, do you know much about salt cod cooking? After spending a long time on a wait list, I've finally got my own copy of SALT COD CUISINE: THE INTERNATIONAL TABLE by Edward A. Jones printed in 2013 with assistance from many folks and financial assistance from a Newfoundland university and Government of Newfoundland and Labrador.

The subject has fascinated me for some time.

Have you perused the Salt Cod Diary topic that @LindaK started a while back?  In spite of the fact that salt cod on boiled potatoes was one of my most hated Lenten dinners, I also find the topic interesting. 

• Like 1

Chromedome, my childhood leftover fish cakes were called Bubble & Squeak which had last night's fish, vegetables and potatoes. Parents were Brits who had gone through the war, so the recipe was not Canadian in origin.

Blue_dolphin, we could commiserate for some time about how terrible were my/your childhood Friday Fish dinners! Thanks for the reminder about the Salt Cod Diary topic which I read long ago. Maybe it's what started my search for Jone's Salt Cod history/recipe book!

Darienne, the best Fish & Chips I ever tasted came from a one-man shop run by an Eastern European (Lithuania?) in Toronto's Cabbagetown. Don't know where I'd find Fish & Chips around here!

Edited by TdeV
Clarity (log)
  • Like 1

My first experience was with the box from the local mega chain. I soaked as detailed and we enjoyed. I think the recipes were from a Time Life book regarding Portugal and Spain. I would look to those countries for inspiration. Back in the day one of the banks was giving out cookbooks and the book fell apart (literally) but the recipes were excellent.and included salt cod. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1