• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

@Luis J - Time for me to re-read Like Water for Chocolate, one of my favorites, thanks for the reminder!

I recently enjoyed two food-related books that I borrowed and just returned to the library.

France is a Feast: The Photographic Journey of Paul and Julia Child.  Great photos, all by Paul Child and mostly from their time in France in the late '40s - '50s, well before Julia Child became famous.  It was co-written by Alex Prud'homme (who also co-wrote My Life in France with Julia Child) and Katie Pratt. 

The Beetlebung Farm Cookbook by Chris Fischer is subtitled, "A Year of Cooking on Martha's Vineyard" and it reads like a cross between a diary and a cookbook with stories about his own farm as well as other local farmers and fishermen.  The author came to my attention a few years ago here on egullet when @SLB mentioned a Moth Radio Hour story by Chris Fischer

There are recipes I'd like to try but mostly I wanted to eat Chris Fischer's food -  the dishes prepared with the local island ingredients that he uses.  I doubt I could do them justice with supermarket fare.  

Edited to add the very important information that Chris Fisher, author of the book mentioned above, recently married comic Amy Schumer

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

@Luis J - Time for me to re-read Like Water for Chocolate, one of my favorites, thanks for the reminder!

I recently enjoyed two food-related books that I borrowed and just returned to the library.

France is a Feast: The Photographic Journey of Paul and Julia Child.  Great photos, all by Paul Child and mostly from their time in France in the late '40s - '50s, well before Julia Child became famous.  It was co-written by Alex Prud'homme (who also co-wrote My Life in France with Julia Child) and Katie Pratt. 

The Beetlebung Farm Cookbook by Chris Fischer is subtitled, "A Year of Cooking on Martha's Vineyard" and it reads like a cross between a diary and a cookbook with stories about his own farm as well as other local farmers and fishermen.  The author came to my attention a few years ago here on egullet when @SLB mentioned a Moth Radio Hour story by Chris Fischer

There are recipes I'd like to try but mostly I wanted to eat Chris Fischer's food -  the dishes prepared with the local island ingredients that he uses.  I doubt I could do them justice with supermarket fare.  

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I recently enjoyed two food-related books that borrowed and just returned to the library.