• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

31 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

He is illustrating the antiquity of Parma ham.

I see. Still doesn't mean he isn't merely quoting a legend rather than getting his facts wrong.

Some types of prosciutto were produced in Roman times and probably before, predecessors of what we today know as Parma ham, even.

I still see no reason to take his mention of the legend as demonstrating any lack of education. If indeed Hannibal did come to what is now Italy looking for a good deli, he was 1000 years before the legend's timing, making the Parma even older.

Sorry, maybe I'm missing your point.

liuzhou

liuzhou

28 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I see. Still doesn't mean he isn't merely quoting a legend rather than getting his facts wrong.

Some types of prosciutto were produced in Roman times and probably before, predecessors of what we today know as Parma ham, even.

I still see no reason to dismiss his mention of the legend as demonstrating any lack of education. If indeed Hannibal did come to what is now Italy looking for a good deli, he was 1000 years before the legend's timing, making the Parma even older.

liuzhou

liuzhou

19 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I still see no reason to dismiss his mention of the legend as demonstrating any lack of education. If indeed Hanni

bal did come to what is now Italy looking for a good deli, he was 1000 years before the legend's timing, making the Parma even older.