• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

Today was Dime Day at the local Friends of the Library sale. For a dime, I could not resist this:

DSC01078.jpg

It focuses on cookbooks - or brochures - put out by various food companies in the 1950's. There is also a chapter on the 70's. (He barely mentions  the 60's - I remember quite a lot of regrettable food from that decade.)

Here's my favorite:

DSC01079.jpg

To properly give credit:Lileks, James,  The Gallery of Regrettable Food. Crown Publishers, New York. 2001. Page 19

The porterhouse steak smothered in ketchup, topped with hard boiled eggs that are also covered in ketchup is clearly a winner. I did think the hard boiled egg and olive penguins were kind of cute. And, perhaps luckily, there is no picture of the liver spoon cakes. 

ElainaA

ElainaA

Today was Dime Day at the local Friends of the Library sale. For a dime, I could not resist this:

DSC01078.jpg

It focuses on cookbooks - or brochures - put out by various food companies in the 1950's. There is also a chapter on the 70's. (I have no idea why he skipped the 60's - I remember quite a lot of regrettable food from that decade.)

Here's my favorite:

DSC01079.jpg

To properly give credit:Lileks, James,  The Gallery of Regrettable Food. Crown Publishers, New York. 2001. Page 19

The porterhouse steak smothered in ketchup, topped with hard boiled eggs that are also covered in ketchup is clearly a winner. I did think the hard boiled egg and olive penguins were kind of cute. And, perhaps luckily, there is no picture of the liver spoon cakes.