• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 4)

Mmmpomps

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

I think it's meant to add thickness, but I would think that heavy cream would work, also.

This recipe uses either milk or cream.  I haven't tried it, though.

It's meant to add emulsifiers so the cheese doesn't break. If you have sodium citrate, you can just use that directly. Otherwise, you can add it a bit of American cheese, velveeta or other high meltability cheese.

PS: I am a guy.

3 hours ago, Shalmanese said:

It's meant to add emulsifiers so the cheese doesn't break. If you have sodium citrate, you can just use that directly. Otherwise, you can add it a bit of American cheese, velveeta or other high meltability cheese.

The only sodium anything I have other that salt is sodium alginate which I am guessing won't work.  I usually use Imperial cheese, a processed sharp cheese in my mac and cheese so I will use that instead of  cheddar and use milk instead of the evaporated milk.  Come to think of it, I should be able to use my regular recipe following (more or less) the recipe Shelby linked to.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I want to make some mac and cheese.  All the recipes I have seen call for evaporated milk.  How crucial is evaporated milk? 

It's real easy to overthink mac and cheese. Here is how you do it:

1. Cook mac a tad before al dente.

2. Drain and put back in pot. Put over low heat.

3. Add butter, (2 tbsp to a half-stick, depending on how much mac and how buttery you want it)

4. Add milk or half and half or heavy cream, whichever your hand comes to first.

5. Add cheese. Stir until everything is melted.

either

6A. Serve, or

6B. Transfer to baking dish, top with bread crumbs/parm mixture, and broil, then serve.

Boom.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

via the IP ?

various stews have been made successfully in the IP.

consider something like that.   If you want to go to the trouble of removing the bones , use them w the Soup Fx + various 

aromatics of you choice of a light stock to cook the meat in.

Ivd browned meat outside of the pot conventionally w success.  Others have had success using the IP for all stages.

if you choose to add wine, it works best if reduced outside of the pot before hand.

love to see what you come up with.

16 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Yes, in the IP.  I have made stew in the IP but have never used beef neckbones in any way. I am wondering if I can treat them much the same as oxtails.

I was going to say something that you would make with oxtails.   Or, you could trim the meat and make broccoli beef.....I'm hooked on that stuff right now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Yes, in the IP.  I have made stew in the IP but have never used beef neckbones in any way. I am wondering if I can treat them much the same as oxtails.

I haven't used beef neckbones and I don't have an Instant Pot, but I have made many a pot of beans cooked up with pork neckbones. I would not go the trouble to remove the meat first, but add them whole to the stew. When cooked, the meat just slides off and shreds easily. The cartilage in the discs make for a rich, gelatinous broth too.

There's a recipe for stewed beef neck tacos on Serious Eats.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)

> ^ . . ^ <

I'd salt, pepper and saute them, then caramelize a whole bunch of onions, put the neckbones back in, pour a good dark beer or two over all, and let it go for a while. Sort of a carbonnades a la flamande you have to take the bones out of. The gelatin cooking out of those neckbones should be make a marvelous broth...

Of course, if they were PORK neckbones, I'd be browning then boiling the hell out of them with salt, pepper, onion and sage, then using the meat and broth to make some neckbones and dressing. You want to talk some serious soul food....

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

On 10/18/2016 at 6:40 PM, robirdstx said:

Okay, I will be giving them a go on Friday. Potatoes and carrots waiting in the wings.

Due to household schedule changes, I moved the cooking up a day to today. I decided to take most of the meat off the neck bones, which gave me almost 16 ounces of stew meat, and I put the bones in the freezer to use another day.

Beef Stew

image.jpeg

I browned the meat in the pot, then added beef broth, sweet vermouth, worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, a bay leaf, black pepper and salt and cooked on Manual at High Pressure for 15 minutes with Natural Release. Added the potatoes, carrots, onion and more broth and cooked on Manual at High Pressure for 7 minutes (will reduce to 6 minutes next time as the potatoes got a little too soft) and Quick Release. Thickened the gravy with xanthum gum, added canned green beans (drained), covered and left on Keep Warm.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 4

HB eggs :

3 min HP eggs.jpg

18 cold from the refirg in the basket, on the trivet  1 cup cold tap water.  LP 3 min LP, IR   cold tap water to cool.

very nice.   Ive noted that the eggs in the center of the baskets mask do not have any green.    the eggs on the periphery have a hint of green on the outer surface

facing the side of the pot.   this makes sense.   these are very nice.  may have less green, but its hard to keep track of which egg was where in the basket

and its not important

18 eggs ( w pouch pin hole in the air-sac ) because eggs are so cheap now that's they way some store sell them.  18 for $ 0.99

large generic supermarket eggs

Edited by rotuts
added LP : Low Pressure (log)
  • Like 6

Details on the posole mentioned on the dinner thread..

I had about a pound and a half of pulled pork in the refrigerator from the pork roast last SundayI took about 2 cups of that, chiopped, and set it to one side. Soaked a third of a pound of Rancho Gordo pintos for several hours. Sauteed a diced onion and some garlic, added the beans and a quart of chicken stock; cooked until beans were done.  Quick release, added a quart of home-canned tomatoes, two drained 15-ounce cans of hominy, and some chopped up zucchini and yellow squash. Spices were a half-tablespoon each of cumin, smoked paprika, ancho chile powder, and a teaspoon of oregano. Another 20 minutes on low pressure, quick release, softened veggies perfectly.  Added salt to taste and let it slow cook until it was time to eat. 

Lots of warm, bright flavors without being overly spicy. I really liked this soup, and I'll making it again before the winter's out.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

Getting back into the swing of things after life just tossed me a few knocks on my arse! 

Made a fine Irish dinner for family using my sister's Instant Pot at her house.Get a cottage roll, cured ham or bacon and add that to your IP cook on manual high 45 minutes with 1 cup of water.
Release and add on top of meat a lot of peeled quartered spuds, and chopped cabbage and salt. Manual High pressure for 6 minutes. Release with a towel on top. I was at my Sister's using HER IP and I made a wee bit of a mess 1f609.png;)
My tall Man wiped the tile wall for me 1f603.png:D
This is so good served with a beet and goat cheese salad, beets also made in the IP. OH and of course Keen's mustard made with Keens mustard powder and white wine!

14591609_10153915654072703_292758158918877411_n.jpg

• Like 9

@Mmmpomps

I have ordered life to immediately cease and desist from knocking you on your arse!   We miss you and need you around here.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I made a similar dish in my IP last week.  Only I used country ribs instead of the cottage roll.  And I slow cooked mine instead of PCing.  This is one of my favorite meals in cold weather. 

I was disappointed however in that my boneless ribs turned out a bit chewy.  I don't think they were fatty enough.

• Like 1

I know that @Shelby  reported a fail with a wild rice blend. Has anyone else attempted to cook a wild rice blend in the instant pot? I would be particularly interested if you used the pot in pot method. I have done some searching on the Internet but the answers seem to be all over the place as they so often are.O.o

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

I know that @Shelby  reported a fail with a wild rice blend. Has anyone else attempted to cook a wild rice blend in the instant pot? I would be particularly interested if you used the pot in pot method. I have done some searching on the Internet but the answers seem to be all over the place as they so often are.O.o

Well I had to answer my own question.  I rinsed 1 cup rice thoroughly, put it in a small stainless steel container and added 3 cups of water to the container. I put the rack into the bottom of the instant pot with one cup of water.  I set the controls to 20 minutes high-pressure and allowed the pressure to come down itself for 10 minutes.  When I opened the pressure cooker all the little rice grains were desperately looking for life vests.  3 cups of water was far too much.  I am guessing the 3 to 1 ratio is right when you are cooking the blend for 45 minutes on the stove top.   Next time I would try two cups of water to 1 cup of the rice blend. I think it was cooked properly but having never tried it before it any way I can only guess.  I used it to make a salad  with some celery, parsley, red onion and lightly toasted walnuts.

image.jpeg

I topped it with a leftover chicken leg from Swiss Chalet. My granddaughter turned 17 and chose Swiss chalet for birthday dinner with dull relatives and someplace much more interesting with the boy friend.xD

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Well I had to answer my own question.  I rinsed 1 cup rice thoroughly, put it in a small stainless steel container and added 3 cups of water to the container. I put the rack into the bottom of the instant pot with one cup of water.  I set the controls to 20 minutes high-pressure and allowed the pressure to come down itself for 10 minutes.  When I opened the pressure cooker all the little rice grains were desperately looking for life vests.  3 cups of water was far too much.  I am guessing the 3 to 1 ratio is right when you are cooking the blend for 45 minutes on the stove top.   Next time I would try two cups of water to 1 cup of the rice blend. I think it was cooked properly but having never tried it before it any way I can only guess.  I used it to make a salad  with some celery, parsley, red onion and lightly toasted walnuts.

image.jpeg

I topped it with a leftover chicken leg from Swiss Chalet. My granddaughter turned 17 and chose Swiss chalet for birthday dinner with dull relatives and someplace much more interesting with the boy friend.xD

Well, you did far better than I did on the rice.  LMAO re the life vests.