• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 4)

Mmmpomps

Three of my favorite things, right there. Alas, I have no IP and cannot advise you on that point. 

One of my favorite breakfasts is a mound of sweet dumpling or delicata with a soft-cooked egg on top and a slice of fried ham alongside. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@ElsieD

This should give you at least a starting point. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

33 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@ElsieD

This should give you at least a starting point. 

Well, son of a gun!  A whole, unpeeled squash, huh?  I'll start with the buttercup as that seems to have the toughest skin.  I'm thinking of the three of them the skin should be easiest to remove in one piece or at best several pieces.  So we will start there and see how it goes.  Thank you!

Tried the IP out tonight on some Jasmine rice, very happy with the result! Cooked via the pot-in-pot minute - 1 part rinsed rice to 1 part water - at high pressure for 1 minute & then slow release (let the pressure come down on its own).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Well, son of a gun!  A whole, unpeeled squash, huh?  I'll start with the buttercup as that seems to have the toughest skin.  I'm thinking of the three of them the skin should be easiest to remove in one piece or at best several pieces.  So we will start there and see how it goes.  Thank you!

Elsie you may want to start with less time. I did mine that long since I knew I was going to mash it and it was how long the other food was going to take in the Instant pot :) Your squashes look great :)

• Like 1

Tonight I made beef stew. The beef was chuck and the stew included potato, carrot, parsnip, peas, celery, onion and barley. Made the in Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker. The beef came out super tender.  I put everything in the pot but the carrots and parsnips and cooked on high pressure for 10 minutes, quick release, add in the carrots and parsnips and cooked for another 6 on high pressure with natural release.  

beef-stew.jpg

• Like 8

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

@mgaretz 

did you use stock to get that gravy ?

did you brown the meat first ?  

if you find the time would you share more details on the proportions ?    water might be the vital one to get unctuous gravy

The liquid in the cooker is 1 cup of chicken stock and 1/4 cup red wine.  The barley usually thickens it enough, but depending on how many veggies I put it, sometimes the gravy is too thin.  Sometimes I will thicken it by removing a few potato and carrot chunks and puree them in my BlendTec and then stir them back in.  If I am feeling lazy I will stir in a tbs or so of Ultra-Sperse.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Coarse ground grits 1:4 ratio with chicken stock pressure cooked for 15 minutes, mixed with fresh corn after that.  Topped with bacon and chanterelles.  Cross posting in Dinner thread as well.

image.jpg

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Coarse ground grits 1:4 ratio with chicken stock pressure cooked for 15 minutes, mixed with fresh corn after that.  Topped with bacon and chanterelles.  Cross posting in Dinner thread as well.

image.jpg

I literally just drooled.  That looks so good.

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

image.jpg

When you say "fresh ground corn," you're speaking of just-off-the-cob kernels? Not corn that has been left on the stalk to dry before havest?

If so, I can only marvel at how wonderful it must taste. At first glance, I thought the mushrooms and bacon were all crispy bacon bits on top, which also would have been marvelous.

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, kayb said:

When you say "fresh ground corn," you're speaking of just-off-the-cob kernels? Not corn that has been left on the stalk to dry before havest?

If so, I can only marvel at how wonderful it must taste. At first glance, I thought the mushrooms and bacon were all crispy bacon bits on top, which also would have been marvelous.

He never said fresh ground corn. He's using dried corn grits and fresh, whole corn kernels from corn on the cob. I do it all the time when I make polenta to amplify the corny flavor (although I use frozen, fire roasted corn from Trader Joes).

• Like 1

PS: I am a guy.

3 hours ago, Shalmanese said:

He never said fresh ground corn. He's using dried corn grits and fresh, whole corn kernels from corn on the cob. I do it all the time when I make polenta to amplify the corny flavor (although I use frozen, fire roasted corn from Trader Joes).

You are correct.  Fresh whole corn kernels were folded in after grits were cooked.   

• Like 1

It was 23ºF here yesterday morning and 28ºF right now.

My basil froze even though I covered it, but that wasn't a big shock.

This cold weather has me thinking about Chili in the IP.

Here's the recipe:  (it's a new one to me but it looks good.)

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/spicy-touchdown-chili

• Like 1

I made IP TurkeyMeatSauce Ragu-ish :

TurkeyMeatSauce.jpg

I sweated some generic bacon , left it a bit ' hammy ' not crisp.   1 lbs  93 % ground turkey , until just grey , added one cup of cream and let it bubble just a bit.

I used the stove not the IP.    I added 1 jar RAO marinara to the IP at that point and nothing else.

I found it tasty.   I use TJ's Fz Turkey Bolognese sauce from time to time.  this is as good if not better.

RAO is expensive , and its flavor might be lost on me :  more or less $ 7 a jar.    Ill use TJ's  @ about $ 2.oo a jar next time

I have no idea if the cream helped the meat stay tender.   Ill just use a cup of milk next time.

anyway , an easy winner for me.  the turkey was very tender and not dry  and still in small chunks.

• Like 6

PS  after emptying the contents for Tonights Dinner , and two portions to freeze :  there was a very small area on the bottom of the IP pot with 

' burned bits '  [ suprise.gif ] on it.  this is the first time i ' cooked ' in the IP rather than pressure steamed.

this cleaned up w soapy water with no more effort that washing out the pot.

I know some have had issues with this.

BTW  the timings were 20 min HP with NR.  nice tender etc.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2016 at 4:58 AM, chefmd said:

You are correct.  Fresh whole corn kernels were folded in after grits were cooked.   

My apologies. I read in a hurry. I've done that with grits (polenta), but was intrigued at the idea of "grinding" the fresh corn in a blender and adding....

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

27 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I want to make some mac and cheese.  All the recipes I have seen call for evaporated milk.  How crucial is evaporated milk? 

I think it's meant to add thickness, but I would think that heavy cream would work, also.

This recipe uses either milk or cream.  I haven't tried it, though.

• Like 1

I froze the IP Turkey meat sauce in re-usable semi-disposable pastic containers that I use all the time

a generous  1 + portion , then vac-bagged the frozen ' bricks '

works well and is easy to do:

TMSauce.jpg

• Like 4

Digging around in one of the freezers last night I found some very meaty bones from a rib roast, and the remains of a rib cap. Cut an onion in half, added to the bones and some water and cooked high pressure for an hour - then left then on keep warm overnight. This am, added the rib cap to the stock, cooked for 15 minutes on high pressure. 

Half the stock went to make baked potato soup - then other half a vegetable beef soup with the cut up cap meat, onion, potato and carrots. 

IMG_3504.jpg

Here's all I've got for pics I'm afraid. 

• Like 3