• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 4)

Mmmpomps

I would really need to kill the urge to give them a manicure. xDxD

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby  

do you use the soup setting ?

Id very much like to see how that works out.

No, I like to cook these for a really long time...until the bones actually start to break down.  I do manual/high pressure and do the max amount of time which is 240 mins on one 120 on the other (i'll have to start the 120 one again).  I also had a whole bunch of chicken wings to break down so I threw the tips of those in along with onion and carrots and bay leaf.  

• Like 2

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@Shelby  

do you chop up the feet ?  do you do them w water to cover ?

or do you do a modified 'darch where they are in a pan above the water for the 120 ?

then save the supernate and do them again in water ?

CkFeet are hard to find here , although there is a very nice ChineseMarket next to a Decent C.Take out ( same family )

they have the CkFeet fresh and Fz  I know about the gelatin.

yours were $ 1.79 / lbs ?

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby  

do you chop up the feet ?  do you do them w water to cover ?

or do you do a modified 'darch where they are in a pan above the water for the 120 ?

then save the supernate and do them again in water ?

CkFeet are hard to find here , although there is a very nice ChineseMarket next to a Decent C.Take out ( same family )

they have the CkFeet fresh and Fz  I know about the gelatin.

yours were $ 1.79 / lbs ?

I throw 'em in there whole and cover them with water.  The length of the pressure cook breaks them down so you don't have to chop them up.

They are $1.29/lb.  And, yeah, they make great gelatinous broth.  I have never seen them in the supermarket chain stores around here, we have to go to the Asian Market to find them.

Our local mainstream supermarket has them and I never get tired of pointing out the pack of "chicken paws" to my husband and cracking up.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

10 hours ago, Shelby said:

I throw 'em in there whole and cover them with water.  The length of the pressure cook breaks them down so you don't have to chop them up.

They are $1.29/lb.  And, yeah, they make great gelatinous broth.  I have never seen them in the supermarket chain stores around here, we have to go to the Asian Market to find them.

I see someone else goes to my favorite Asian Store! I have an IP now, so definitely need a trip there again. Regrettably, I dont think Chris will fall for me convincing him to stick his head into the Durian case to see what it smelled like lol.

• Like 1

On January 20, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Shelby said:

I'm out of chicken broth.  Rectifying that right now.  Got two IP's going.

photo.JPG

So, the broth is all done.  I was by myself so I had a hard time taking a picture that would show how thick and gelatin like it is.  

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Shelby. That looks amazing.  What else did you put in there besides the feet, carrot and onion?

Oh...lets see.. bay leaf,  Lawry's salt, lemon pepper (gives it a nice bright taste) and garlic.  Not fancy, but it is a good basic broth.

• Like 5

image.jpeg

Rustic mash of carrots, parsnips and potatoes. Done in the IP with milk, salt, pepper and butter.  This is the one pot method we have discussed before.  Bacon cooked separately of course.  I think if I were to attempt it again I would skip the butter initially and use some bacon fat at the end. Just a thought

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

25 minutes ago, rotuts said:

the milk went into the iP under pressure  , or was added after the HP ?

Everything went in then manual hp x 6 minutes, then quick release.  Easy peasy. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Roasted a chicken in the CSO today, and in a burst of energy, went ahead and boned it out and made stock with the carcass. This is an accidental accessory I discovered fits my IP perfectly -- the stainless colander from my set of stainless mixing bowls.  It sits down in the pot, holds the solids for the stock (in this case, chicken carcass, an onion, garlic cloves, because I cannot remember to buy bay leaves!), and when the stock is done, the handles make it easy to remove the solids for the trash.

chicken and colander.jpg

Left the stock in the IP through two rounds, so far, of the saute function to reduce it. Had almost four liters of stock, aiming for a reduction to two. Two rounds got it down to about 2 3/4, so I'm hoping this last one I just started will finish it off. Reasoning is the concentrated stock will take up less freezer room, and it's easy enough to add water back to it.

My daughter is complaining the house smells like chicken stock. This is a problem?

• Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

36 minutes ago, kayb said:

Roasted a chicken in the CSO today, and in a burst of energy, went ahead and boned it out and made stock with the carcass. This is an accidental accessory I discovered fits my IP perfectly -- the stainless colander from my set of stainless mixing bowls.  It sits down in the pot, holds the solids for the stock (in this case, chicken carcass, an onion, garlic cloves, because I cannot remember to buy bay leaves!), and when the stock is done, the handles make it easy to remove the solids for the trash.

chicken and colander.jpg

Left the stock in the IP through two rounds, so far, of the saute function to reduce it. Had almost four liters of stock, aiming for a reduction to two. Two rounds got it down to about 2 3/4, so I'm hoping this last one I just started will finish it off. Reasoning is the concentrated stock will take up less freezer room, and it's easy enough to add water back to it.

My daughter is complaining the house smells like chicken stock. This is a problem?

I wish I was your daughter ;)   Chicken stock simmering=comfort for me.

• Like 4

making stock in the iPot :  Poultry Stock     your views and experience would be appreciated.

I have two 8 - 9 lbs fz now thawed turkey breasts ..  the  meat will be cooked in the CSB  in my usual fashion.  some used now , some chilled and

bagged and back into the freezer.  Ill use the back / bones etc for iP stock.

I understand that making stock at 180 F is different than at iP temps.  its possible that 180 stock for a delicate soup might be referable to iP temp'd stock.

my stock is going to become turkey gravy at some point.

the time for Ck or Turkey stock is all over the board :  " Hip " suggests  35 min HP natural release.  on the internet the time vary from 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour.

etc.   I won't be doing the 'darch concentration technique this time , but Ill keep that in mind for the future.

I will use the liquid from batch A  ( the first turkey carcass ) for batch B  from the second.  Ill just cover the chopped up bones w water for A and B and

add water to B if needed.  Ill add the aromatics  to only batch B

so  :   any idea if over an hour matters for this sort of stock in terms of adding flavor ?  after 1 hour at iP temps  Im guessing the meat flavor profile is more or

less set.  that;s a guess and maybe there is information out there that suggests adding time may change that profile.  of course  Im using A for

B  so A  is going to get 2 hours at iP temps.

how have you worked this out for yourself.   I(m guessing the idea it more to get this done than cogitate too much over it. 

16 minutes ago, rotuts said:

making stock in the iPot :  Poultry Stock     your views and experience would be appreciated.

I have two 8 - 9 lbs fz now thawed turkey breasts ..  the  meat will be cooked in the CSB  in my usual fashion.  some used now , some chilled and

bagged and back into the freezer.  Ill use the back / bones etc for iP stock.

I understand that making stock at 180 F is different than at iP temps.  its possible that 180 stock for a delicate soup might be referable to iP temp'd stock.

my stock is going to become turkey gravy at some point.

the time for Ck or Turkey stock is all over the board :  " Hip " suggests  35 min HP natural release.  on the internet the time vary from 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour.

etc.   I won't be doing the 'darch concentration technique this time , but Ill keep that in mind for the future.

I will use the liquid from batch A  ( the first turkey carcass ) for batch B  from the second.  Ill just cover the chopped up bones w water for A and B and

add water to B if needed.  Ill add the aromatics  to only batch B

so  :   any idea if over an hour matters for this sort of stock in terms of adding flavor ?  after 1 hour at iP temps  Im guessing the meat flavor profile is more or

less set.  that;s a guess and maybe there is information out there that suggests adding time may change that profile.  of course  Im using A for

B  so A  is going to get 2 hours at iP temps.

how have you worked this out for yourself.   I(m guessing the idea it more to get this done than cogitate too much over it. 

I don't know the science behind it...or even if there is a science lol but I've done chicken stock in the IP for only 30 mins and it just doesn't taste as good as it does when I do it for the 120 or even the 240.  If you have the time, I'd definitely go at least 120 mins.

• Like 2

I did my chicken stock with a single carcass for 90 minutes, then ran it through three saute cycles (30 minutes each) with no lid to reduce it by half.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com