• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 4)

Mmmpomps

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N  

ai can see the same thing for myself eventually .....

""    and then finished off also in the Instant Pot  ""

so what did you do ?

CC of Ireland is on the way from my library

there seem to be another one from Italy

just saying

Ultimately it gets puréed.   I used my Bamix.   Then some cream is added and the seasoning checked.   After that I decanted  into a mason jar, chilled in the sink and stuck in the fridge for the next couple of days worth of meals. 

Edited to add:  You won't tempt me with the Italian book.  

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The CC of Ireland is a great book.  Especially the potato recipes!  I must haul that sucker off the shelf and have another look.  Should be able to get parsnips this time of year and I look parsnips....not a very popular vegetable and quite hard to grow in my garden I might add.  Planted some when we first started with the garden but they were quite pathetic.

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

The CC of Ireland is a great book.  Especially the potato recipes!  I must haul that sucker off the shelf and have another look.  Should be able to get parsnips this time of year and I look parsnips....not a very popular vegetable and quite hard to grow in my garden I might add.  Planted some when we first started with the garden but they were quite pathetic.

Parsnips are one of my favourite vegetables and my crisper drawers are rarely without them.   Roasted and dusted with either garam masala or curry powder they make the best snack ever.   In my opinion of course.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Finally made something new in my Instant Pot, I've pretty much been using my regular recipes and not experimenting too much.

It's cold in Alberta and I had a kilo of mussels from Costco...what to do:

Instant Pot Mussel Chowder
Saute in 2 TBS of butter (add more as needed):
1 small diced onion
8 cloves diced garlic
Salt and saute until soft
Black pepper , thyme and parsely
5 red thai chili peppers *optional but I like heat*
1 small diced orange pepper
Add 2 cups chopped swiss chard
Add 1 Kilo mussels in shell
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup water
Manual High pressure
Manual High pressure for 1 minutes
Quick release *light towel over vent*
Strain mussels into a large bowl
Add broth back to IP and saute low
Add more butter
add 5 cups of baby spinach
Stir until spinach wilts
Remove mussels from shells and add to soup
Add whole whipping cream 1/2 cup
Adjust seasoning

15977719_10154131922742703_4663845416346376953_n.jpg

16003116_10154131922747703_1369072491612405411_n.jpg

• Like 8

I am going to start reading this thread from the beginning. I am curious if anything has been talked about regarding getting the inside of the S/S liner really clean? I haven't used it yet but my daughter, who bought it, has and since I do most of the dishes I have been frustrated. I hand-wash everything before it going into the dishwasher for an express cycle, and still the liner comes out looking not quire right; no obvious food bits but a mottled look on the surface.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I clean mine by hand.  on occasion when Ive use the Warm cycle  ( for TurkeyuRagu ) before the 20 minute HP cycle, there are a few dark bits on the bottom.

I soak the pot will a little hot water on the bottom and so far they have cleaned right up with a non-scratch sponge.  once I had to use a little BarKeeperFriends

as a paste on one spot.    the color of the pot itself has not changed at all.

post a pic ?     I vaguely recall one person had a discoloration issue, perhaps from a bad batch of pots?

they are very helpful via their 800 number .

• Like 1

@Anna N  From a post of yours in part 1: " I rather doubt that I would go for the Smart version since I have found very little use for the Bluetooth capability of my Anova."  I loaded the app when I received my circulator. Never used it.

I will have to see what model my DD ordered when I get home.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Mac & cheese from the Dad Cooks Dinner site:

IMG_4328.jpg

I made a half recipe with a mix of cheddar and jalapeño jack cheese and added broccoli and red bell peppers at the end.

As I did previously, (thanks to @Anna N,s report), I adjusted the first cook to 6 min - I know this particular pasta takes a good 12+ minutes to cook conventionally.  

Panko topping broiled in the CSO.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I sometimes get that mottled look on the inside of my pot and also the stainless steel bowl when I use the bowl in a pot method.  Bar Keepers Friend removes it.

This is my experience as well.  BKF is my friend, too!  

51 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I am going to start reading this thread from the beginning. I am curious if anything has been talked about regarding getting the inside of the S/S liner really clean?

I believe it was @GlorifiedRice who had an IP cleaning problem and I believe it was resolved but I can't remember the details.

I get the mottled look and ignore it; it's common on all my stainless stuff. BKF would fix it if I were concerned.

When I have issues with anything stuck on the liner, I fill with water, add a hefty squirt of dishwasher detergent, and put it through a saute' cycle, uncovered. Rinses right out.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

This is my experience as well.  BKF is my friend, too!  

I believe it was @GlorifiedRice who had an IP cleaning problem and I believe it was resolved but I can't remember the details.

I went back, this is what I did

Cascade Deep Fryer Boil Out Powder. On Saute for 2 hours and then soaking in Lime Out limescale remover

TADA!

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

3 hours ago, kayb said:

I get the mottled look and ignore it; it's common on all my stainless stuff. BKF would fix it if I were concerned.

When I have issues with anything stuck on the liner, I fill with water, add a hefty squirt of dishwasher detergent, and put it through a saute' cycle, uncovered. Rinses right out.

I find a "used" lemon half rubbed over stainless steel and then rinsed off often does the trick. And it's food safe.:P

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I have tried three times now to cook plain old rice in the IP.   It always comes out too crunchy and too "wet".   Basmati and jasmine rice turn out just fine but not the regular plain old North American variety.   Any suggestions appreciated.   Thanks. 

23 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have tried three times now to cook plain old rice in the IP.   It always comes out too crunchy and too "wet".   Basmati and jasmine rice turn out just fine but not the regular plain old North American variety.   Any suggestions appreciated.   Thanks. 

I don't know if this will help you or not.  I use the plain Uncle Ben's white rice.  I do 1 1/2 cups of water with 1 cup of rice.  Eight minutes on high pressure.  Quick release.  

5 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I don't know if this will help you or not.  I use the plain Uncle Ben's white rice.  I do 1 1/2 cups of water with 1 cup of rice.  Eight minutes on high pressure.  Quick release.  

Thank you Shelby!  Is that pot in a pot?

@ElsieD  

I see no reason why you can't make perfect rice in the IP :

that being said , I use Basmati rice.   I follow the instructions in " Hip Pressure cooking " to the tree and get fine rice

I do keep track of the final water amounts after the soaking , as that determines the ' dente ' aspects of the rice.

If you do not have this book , PM  me and Ill send you a pager or two from the book as a PM jpg.

I sure the info in on the Hip web site.

I think @ElsieD has no difficulty with basmati or jasmine rice. She is having trouble with "plain old North American rice". I am not sure what this might be. @Shelby is suggesting it is Uncle Ben's but I was always under the impression that this is converted or par cooked rice.  I find rice varieties extremely confusing so any light anyone can shed on this would be helpful.

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I think @ElsieD has no difficulty with basmati or jasmine rice. She is having trouble with "plain old North American rice". I am not sure what this might be. @Shelby is suggesting it is Uncle Ben's but I was always under the impression that this is converted or par cooked rice.  I find rice varieties extremely confusing so any light anyone can shed on this would be helpful.

Yeah, that's why I wasn't sure if my method would help.  I get confused about rice, too.  I am out of my Uncle Ben's at the moment but I'm pretty sure it says converted on the box...and I honestly don't know what converted means in that context.  And I'm not 100% sure it says that.   Yeah, I'm helpful lol.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Here is a picture of the rice I am talking about.  For comparison, that is arborio rice in the middle, the dark one is black rice and the other one is the one I am trying to cook in the IP.  It is plain rice that I bought in bulk.  I use it when the taste of rice doesn't matter much.  I used to cook it in a lidded casserole in the microwave, 5 minutes full power, 20 minutes at 30% power.  Anna_N is correct in that jasmine and basmati I don't have a problem with.

image.jpg

12 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Here is a picture of the rice I am talking about.  For comparison, that is arborio rice in the middle, the dark one is black rice and the other one is the one I am trying to cook in the IP.  It is plain rice that I bought in bulk.  I use it when the taste of rice doesn't matter much.  I used to cook it in a lidded casserole in the microwave, 5 minutes full power, 20 minutes at 30% power.  Anna_N is correct in that jasmine and basmati I don't have a problem with.

image.jpg

Well, the rice on the right looks like my Uncle Ben's :) .  

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I do 1.75:1 water-to-rice ratio, salt the water, use the "rice" setting, and then generally leave it on "keep warm" for 15-20 minutes or so. I suspect that allows it to steam and take up the additional water. I use whatever generic variety of rice, mostly likely Riceland-produced but the store brand, is the cheapest, and, like you, use it when the taste doesn't matter much. 

FWIW, I use about the same method for brown rice, only I extend the "keep warm" time to a minimum of 30 minutes. I've left it as long as an hour, but if I do that purposely, I might go up to 1:1 on the water-rice ratio. I learned early on that when I didn't do the wait time with brown rice, it would be soupy and still crunchy.

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com