• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 4)

Mmmpomps

Host's note: this topic has been split into multiple segments to reduce the load on our servers; the previous segment may be found here: Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 3).

Last nights dinner Layered meal:

1 cup of water

2 cups chopped cabbage

2 frozen Italian sausages on top of cabbage

Trivet with frozen perogies on top (spray trivet to oil it)

Manual high pressure for 3 Minutes with a quick release.
Remove perogies to a bowl , top with butter, keep warm.

Remove sausage , keep warm.
Drain cabbage. Turn pot to Saute High, add butter/olive oil and saute half a sliced onion. Add cabbage and sausage brown.

Serve with Sour cream, top with green onion. Yummy, fast easy dinner that the Man had two servings of!!!

14203148_10153769849232703_4654795787747895629_n.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 9

Pre-soaked white beans 15 min on high, slow release.  Cooked in chicken stock and left over tomato soup.  I was a little worried about tomato soup acidity but it did not affect the creaminess of the beans.  They probably even needed a minute or two shorter cooking time, few beans were starting to break.

image.jpg

• Like 5

This is the second time I've made inside out eggrolls played off of This Old Gal's recipe...these are good! Here is how I did it:

Coconut rice played off of this recipe:http://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-thai-triple-coconut-rice/ NO sugar, No vanilla and No coconut cream (Besides what was in the can ) and I added a big handful of unsweetened coconut while cooking the basmati rice..DELISH

Played off of This Old Gals Inside out eggrolls too
Used half ground pork and half ground turkey
Saute in oil on high 1 onion diced, 5 cloves of garlic diced, 1 TBS fresh ginger grated and salt
Add meat and saute
Add 1/2 cup lite soy sauce
1 TBS Hoisin sauce
1 TBS sesame oil
1 tsp hot sauce
brown lightly
add 1/2 cup of chicken stock
1/2 bag of preshredded cabbage and carrots or do your own
Manual high pressure for 1 minute quick release
While this is happening make a three egg omelete with green onions
Cut large shrimps in half and once the release is done add them and diced omelet and the rest of the bag of shredded cabbage/carrot
Add 1/2 cup diced green onion tops
Stir until the shrimpies are no longer pink
Serve with coconut rice

THIS IS SO GOOD

14183916_10153778861332703_3066254075612538847_n (1).jpg

• Like 6

On 02/09/2016 at 8:33 PM, Okanagancook said:

Very creative.  Fall must be here!

Can't answer for Calgary, where she is, but here the overnight lows here in New Brunswick have dipped well down into single digits some nights (that's into the mid-40s, for those of you who think in Fahrenheit). The end of summer arrives much more punctually than the start. :P

Next week is looking milder, with 10 or 12C the lowest overnight temperature (50-54F)

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

If you do not already own a spare gasket for your Instant Pot perhaps I could  persuade you to order one immediately. 

I wanted to make polenta this afternoon so I put the water and the cornmeal, some seasonings and a little butter into the Instant Pot, closed the vent, chose manual and five minutes high pressure and went about my business.   I happened to look up to notice steam pouring out of the vent. I turned the pot off, removed the lid and made certain nothing was blocking the vent. I replaced it and then reprogrammed the machine.   It ran out of time without ever building any kind of pressure. Initially I was stumped. So off I went to do other things while I let it percolate in the back of my mind.. EUREKA!   Perhaps it's the gasket. When I went to check the gasket almost fell out on its own.  That was my clue to replace it.  I did so and tested the cooker with just a cup of water and it's all better again.

New gasket on order. 

But I had one hell of a mess to clean out the caked-on polenta!   It might have failed on something less obnoxious to clean!   But I threw a dishwasher tablet in there, brought it to a boil on sauté, left it for half an hour and then it was pretty easy to clean. 

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR SPARE GASKET IS?

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I ordered a spare when I ordered my machine because I had read they do wear out.  So the first sign of wear is a loose fitting gasket?

Is yours a year old AnnaN?

Yup

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N, thanks for the heads-up. Earlier this summer, I ordered spare gaskets for both the Instant Pot and my stovetop pressure cooker. Now, the challenge is to find somewhere safe to store them where they'll be ready when I need them, but not so safe that I can't remember where to find them!

• Like 5

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Natasha,

Have you had a chance to test out the flanara pan you purchased? I bought the same one - used it in my steam oven - when I opened it there were splits in 3 places on the sides. It's of course heading back to Amazon - would love to find another that will be more substantial. 

Has anyone else had this problem?  I am making yogurt today and my IP keeps beeping to say it has reached temperature when it hasn't.  I have now reset it 6 times, (yogurt, adjust) to boil and it shuts off after a few minutes.  I stir it, reset, the thing beeps, I check the temp, the milk is a bit warmer, and repeat.  It is now at about 125.  The only thing different is that I am doing 2 liters instead of the usual one. The milk came, as it always does, straight from the fridge.  Thoughts?

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Natasha,

Have you had a chance to test out the flanara pan you purchased? I bought the same one - used it in my steam oven - when I opened it there were splits in 3 places on the sides. It's of course heading back to Amazon - would love to find another that will be more substantial. 

@Kerry Beal Thanks for the warning! I have used mine twice to make flan and so far no problems. The base of mine seems to have some heft to it and is all one piece although the latches must be welded on. Were those the failures points on yours? Maybe using it for flan doesn't generate much steam pressure on the lid so it doesn't test its limits?

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Has anyone else had this problem?  I am making yogurt today and my IP keeps beeping to say it has reached temperature when it hasn't.  I have now reset it 6 times, (yogurt, adjust) to boil and it shuts off after a few minutes.  I stir it, reset, the thing beeps, I check the temp, the milk is a bit warmer, and repeat.  It is now at about 125.  The only thing different is that I am doing 2 liters instead of the usual one. The milk came, as it always does, straight from the fridge.  Thoughts?

I always just set my milk to "steam" for 0 minutes, which takes it up to temp, natural release so it doesn't spray milk-steam everywhere, then take the liner out of the pot and set it on the stove or a cutting board to cool more quickly....then add the starter, whisk and hit the yogurt button. My only quarrel is that a thin layer of milk protein sticks to the bottom of the pot, but I soak it for a bit and take my plastic scraper to it, and it cleans right up.

I did use the remaining 2/3 cup of yogurt from my last batch to start my current one, and it worked like a charm. I think perhaps I didn't use enough yogurt to "seed" it properly last time. Only other difference is using dry milk now, which I love.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

20 minutes ago, kayb said:

I always just set my milk to "steam" for 0 minutes, which takes it up to temp, natural release so it doesn't spray milk-steam everywhere, then take the liner out of the pot and set it on the stove or a cutting board to cool more quickly....then add the starter, whisk and hit the yogurt button. My only quarrel is that a thin layer of milk protein sticks to the bottom of the pot, but I soak it for a bit and take my plastic scraper to it, and it cleans right up.

I did use the remaining 2/3 cup of yogurt from my last batch to start my current one, and it worked like a charm. I think perhaps I didn't use enough yogurt to "seed" it properly last time. Only other difference is using dry milk now, which I love.

Kayb, thanks for this.  I finally gave up and heated the milk on the stove, cooled it, mixed some yogurt  into it and back into the IP it went on the yogurt setting.   I talked to the IP people and they suggested I send an email to their support team which I did.  The chap I spoke to said it would be replaced under warranty if the support people couldn't help.  He also suggested I try the boil function using water to see what happens and it worked perfectly so I'm not sure what the cause was.  Both the stainless steel insert inside and out was perfectly clean as was the inside of the IP itself.  If it has developed some sort of defect I would want it replaced before the warranty runs out in November.  I'm still using the powdered milk as well and love the yogurt.  I too get some crud on the insert after the boil function but I just empty the milk into a bowl,  clean the insert, put the milk back in and carry on.

1 hour ago, natasha1270 said:

@Kerry Beal Thanks for the warning! I have used mine twice to make flan and so far no problems. The base of mine seems to have some heft to it and is all one piece although the latches must be welded on. Were those the failures points on yours? Maybe using it for flan doesn't generate much steam pressure on the lid so it doesn't test its limits?

Nope - just random splits around the top. If you look on Amazon there are some pictures of bottoms that are practically shredded.

IMG_3029.jpg

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Kayb, thanks for this.  I finally gave up and heated the milk on the stove, cooled it, mixed some yogurt  into it and back into the IP it went on the yogurt setting.   I talked to the IP people and they suggested I send an email to their support team which I did.  The chap I spoke to said it would be replaced under warranty if the support people couldn't help.  He also suggested I try the boil function using water to see what happens and it worked perfectly so I'm not sure what the cause was.  Both the stainless steel insert inside and out was perfectly clean as was the inside of the IP itself.  If it has developed some sort of defect I would want it replaced before the warranty runs out in November.  I'm still using the powdered milk as well and love the yogurt.  I too get some crud on the insert after the boil function but I just empty the milk into a bowl,  clean the insert, put the milk back in and carry on.

Have to confess I don't even do that. It's not scorched...just kind of solidified in a very thin layer. I just clean it after I make the yogurt. Doesn't impart any kind of taste to it.:$

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Instant pot grits with a mushroom,onion and apple rosemary sauce OH and fresh tiny tomatoes just warmed in the sauce. Sauce made in my cast iron with the juices from sous vide pork chops with rosemary, butter and a hot pepper from the garden:

14264200_10153794491502703_4352913203959489598_n.jpg

14316771_10153794305557703_8465665058496128184_n.jpg

Edited by Mmmpomps (log)
  • Like 6