• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 4)

Mmmpomps

image.jpeg.023eff74c01f3dc2ee9641fa973f20d2.jpeg

Surely I made food before the arrival of the Instant Pot.   But when I thought about what I wanted for dinner tonight I somehow knew it would have to be made in the IP.  No recipe.   Removed the meat from two links of spicy Italian sausage and formed into little meat balls. Quickly browned the meat balls in the IP.  Put them aside and then browned an onion and a couple of minced garlic cloves. Added some roughly chopped baby peppers, a couple of carrots and a few baby potatoes. Opened a 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes and added them. Rinsed out the can with some water and added it to the vegetables. Returned the sausage meatballs to the IP and pressure cooked for four minutes on high with a quick release. Served with one of the no knead rolls I made a couple of days ago which I pulled out of the freezer.   I love fast food.  And there is at least one more meal in the refrigerator. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but Instant Pot has come out with two new models. Here's a review of the Instant Pot Duo PLUS and a chance to win one. 

http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/instant-pot-duo-plus-60-review/#more-21884

There's also an Ultra 60 available in June, 2017. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 2

I entered. Can't really justify buying one at this point, but free is always good. 

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Over in the Ladies who Lunch topic we have been discussing tiffen lunch carriers and their potential for use in the Instant  Pot. I had already cosidered the possibility and so had @Shelby. So tonight all being well I'm going to see what happens although I see no difficulties in what I intend to do which is cook polenta in one of the containers. 

Each container will hold 4 cups of water if filled to the brim (this is pretty impractical)  so I will consider their capacity to be about 3 1/2 cups or 875 ml. They are approximately 5 3/4" in diameter and 2 1/2" high.  They would not be practical for everything as they have a channel  which would make removing a cheesecake or anything similar rather challenging.

image.jpeg.3d095e6e6c5a7d3c12bcdb1607356a65.jpeg

Without a trivet in the inner part of the instant pot you can stack two comfortably but if you want to use the trivet that comes with the IP then I'm not sure I would be messing too much with that idea for fear of blocking the vent with rice or beans or something.  

Anyone have any recipes they are itching to try in stacks in the IP?   The idea certainly  appeals but I don't know if it has any practical application. Perhaps I need to put my thinking cap on ( if I can remember where I left it). 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Over in the Ladies who Lunch topic we have been discussing tiffen lunch carriers and their potential for use in the Instant  Pot. I had already cosidered the possibility and so had @Shelby. So tonight all being well I'm going to see what happens although I see no difficulties in what I intend to do which is cook polenta in one of the containers. 

Each container will hold 4 cups of water if filled to the brim (this is pretty impractical)  so I will consider their capacity to be about 3 1/2 cups or 875 ml. They are approximately 5 3/4" in diameter and 2 1/2" high.  They would not be practical for everything as they have a channel  which would make removing a cheesecake or anything similar rather challenging.

image.jpeg.3d095e6e6c5a7d3c12bcdb1607356a65.jpeg

Without a trivet in the inner part of the instant pot you can stack two comfortably but if you want to use the trivet that comes with the IP then I'm not sure I would be messing too much with that idea for fear of blocking the vent with rice or beans or something.  

Anyone have any recipes they are itching to try in stacks in the IP?   The idea certainly  appeals but I don't know if it has any practical application. Perhaps I need to put my thinking cap on ( if I can remember where I left it). 

I know that more creative ideas will be thought of...today is not a good day to ask me to think lol.  But, I came across this link that has several ideas such as stacking beans, rice and chicken to make a rice bowl or burrito.  That got me to thinking about @sartoric's wonderful Indian food that she's been making lately.....I bet something like that would be awesome in the IP and you could do it all at once......

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shelby said:

One of these sponge brushes is perfect for cleaning the lip around the IP.  I was using a paper towel and a chopstick.  This is much better.

58fe15d9d8e6e_photo89.JPG.128cf84cfd1c8e0f3eaf4cf4336ccaa6.JPG

Where did you buy this?  At a paint store?  I have been using Q-tips and that doesn't work all that well.

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

Where did you buy this?  At a paint store?  I have been using Q-tips and that doesn't work all that well.

Yes, hardware store in the paint section.  I'm sure even Wal-Mart has them.  And places like Hobby Lobby.  I tried q-tips too and this sponge thing works much better.

• Like 3

On 4/15/2017 at 5:03 PM, ElsieD said:

@kayb. I put 1 quart worth of reconstituted dry milk and 1/3 cup Greek yogurt in my IP before bed and set it on the yogurt setting for 9 hours, which is what I usually do.   This morning I let it drain for a couple of hours and measured 1 1/2 cups whey which is what I usually get.  I whisked the yogurt to smooth it out and stuck it in the fridge.  When I got home this afternoon I checked it and I have wonderful yogurt.  No more preheating the milk for me!

On 4/15/2017 at 6:07 PM, kayb said:

Elsie, I am SO happy to hear this! It cuts the time, stops the film of milk protein that always sticks to the bottom of the pot, and is just easier! I remain entranced with how much simpler it is to make yogurt with dry milk, another one for which I'm indebted to you. Thank you!

Those of you using reconstituted dry milk to make yogurt: do you mix the powder and water and immediately put it in the pot? Or do you reconstitute the day before, and then let it sit in the fridge before turning it into yogurt? Do you use cold or hot water for the reconstitution?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

7 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Those of you using reconstituted dry milk to make yogurt: do you mix the powder and water and immediately put it in the pot? Or do you reconstitute the day before, and then let it sit in the fridge before turning it into yogurt? Do you use cold or hot water for the reconstitution?

I do the yogurt overnight.  A few hours before that, I mix cold water with the milk powder in the IP.  I then whisk it every now and again to get rid of any lumps.  I just leave this on the counter until I start up the pot.  I now just use the yogurt setting, no need to heat the milk first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

One of these sponge brushes is perfect for cleaning the lip around the IP.  I was using a paper towel and a

Brilliant. I think there are a pile of these  in hubby's workshop.  But they are a dull  gray not a pretty blue. Sigh. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Brilliant. I think there are a pile of these  in hubby's workshop.  But they are a dull  gray not a pretty blue. Sigh. 

It's trick photography lol.  Mine is a dull black.  Your gray ones are much better.

• Like 1

Bingo!  Picked one up today at the paint store.  Also bought paint as we are getting the living room, foyer and hall painted this week.  The paint was considerable more expensive.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

On 4/24/2017 at 2:30 PM, ElsieD said:

Bingo!  Picked one up today at the paint store.  Also bought paint as we are getting the living room, foyer and hall painted this week.  The paint was considerable more expensive.

image.jpeg

Perfect!

On 4/24/2017 at 11:01 AM, MelissaH said:

I made yogurt yesterday. I used 2 quarts hot tap water, 2 cups milk powder (Nestle Nido Fortificada, which is full-fat), and what yogurt I had left from last time, about a third of a cup. Whisked the milk powder into the water, then whisked in the starter yogurt, popped the top on, punched the button and walked away. Came back eight hours later, dumped it in the strainer, stuck the strainer in the fridge, and went to bed. This morning: Marvelous, thick, creamy yogurt. About a quart plus a serving (about half a cup). That's the longest I've ever strained it.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I'm thinking I'll give the water, milk powder, and starter yogurt a whirl in the blender. From there, it can go into the Instant Pot overnight. Maybe tonight?

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I did a couple of artichokes in the IP last night.  After almost needing a chainsaw to hack the tops off I decided that I better go a lot longer than what I found online.  Online people cooked theirs for 20 mins.  I went 30.  Came out perfect :)

5900aaa57daf0_photo91.JPG.3ce468ae306ab4f0ec64d68c3249ee8b.JPG

5900aab0286e6_photo94.JPG.2b33d3b58ebaea75f1c66223c185262e.JPG

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I did a couple of artichokes in the IP last night.  After almost needing a chainsaw to hack the tops off I decided that I better go a lot longer than what I found online.  Online people cooked theirs for 20 mins.  I went 30.  Came out perfect :)

5900aaa57daf0_photo91.JPG.3ce468ae306ab4f0ec64d68c3249ee8b.JPG

5900aab0286e6_photo94.JPG.2b33d3b58ebaea75f1c66223c185262e.JPG

Okay, artichokes have just been added to the grocery list! And I love my IP but I like to cook them in the microwave.

• Like 1

I usually steam them conventionally, unless I stuff them in which case they're baked. 

Artichokes were something I introduced my GF to last summer. If we succeed in buying a house, I'll try to grow some. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Finally I'm a member of the IP community. I have been reading up on the"pot"on these super informative threads and suddenly have the urge to try a pressure cooked goose egg, well as soon as I take the soup out of the IP that is.

Has any of my learned friends an idea of a time and pressure. My eggs are ≈ 150gms or around 3 medium hens eggs. Would I just treble the suggested cooking times used up thread, or is there a formula? TIA. 

Artichokes are now on my list.

D

On 4/26/2017 at 10:12 AM, chromedome said:

I usually steam them conventionally, unless I stuff them in which case they're baked. 

Artichokes were something I introduced my GF to last summer. If we succeed in buying a house, I'll try to grow some. 

Oh how exciting!  Fingers crossed on your new house!  Artichokes are the new thing I'm trying to grow this year--I always pick something each year.  They are VERY slow to germinate and I didn't know that so we will see how they do.

2 hours ago, Doofa said:

Finally I'm a member of the IP community. I have been reading up on the"pot"on these super informative threads and suddenly have the urge to try a pressure cooked goose egg, well as soon as I take the soup out of the IP that is.

Has any of my learned friends an idea of a time and pressure. My eggs are ≈ 150gms or around 3 medium hens eggs. Would I just treble the suggested cooking times used up thread, or is there a formula? TIA. 

Artichokes are now on my list.

D

Congratulations on your new IP!

I am assuming you are going for hard boiled on your goose eggs?  I'd start with one egg ....doubling the time on my method would be 10 mins and that seems like too long.....so I would do one egg at 8 mins, low pressure, natural release and into cold water.  Let us know how it goes, I'm curious.  I have some duck eggs at the moment.

• Like 1

After months of not having access to my Instant Pot, I was glad to have it for a curried vegetable and pork dinner last night.  We had a bag of mixed vegetables (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower) that needed a bit of trimming to cut into smaller pieces, several tomatoes getting ready to go south, and a surfeit of potatoes.  We had a single large pork steak.  ("What do you plan to eat?" asked my darling, who is of the meat-centric persuasion.) I cut the potatoes into bite-sized chunks and pressure-cooked them for 8 minutes using the bowl-within-a-bowl method.  During that time I cut the tomatoes and pork into bite-sized chunks, finely diced an onion, and seasoned the meat with a mixture of Madras curry powder and additional turmeric, cumin and ground ginger.

After the potatoes came out, it was time to saute. Half the onions went in to sweat, and then the meat went in.  (I suppose I needed to review the directions better: only after the saute was midway did I re-learn that "HOT" means it's ready, not that it's overheating. I'd have preferred for the meat to be more brown.) After the meat had begun to to warm and lose its pink edges, I added the mixed vegetables, tomatoes, potatoes and remaining onions, along with a can of coconut milk and about 1/3 of that can's worth of water. I locked the lid, and set the pot to a short soup/stew cycle.

The soup/stew setting took forever to begin counting: some 10 to 15 minutes, I think, but after that it went on its merry 20 minute way as I went mine - setting the table, giving a countdown to dinner, and cleaning the few prep dishes. Here's the result. The top view is in the Instant Pot; the bottom is one serving.

20170501_135556.jpg

This was pretty good for winging it with unfamiliar equipment.  It was too watery - that 1/3 can of water was unnecessary - and even the 20-minute soup/stew cycle overcooked the vegetables a bit.  Iraqi flat bread did a fine job of soaking up the juices.  Nobody felt deprived over the small amount of meat. Everyone was delighted at the small number of dishes that needed to be cleaned up. I'll be refining this idea.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown