• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 4)

Mmmpomps

Just now, ElsieD said:

I ordered it and all that showed up was the intro and the index.  That's it.  I reversed the purchase.  I have not had that happen with kindle editions of other books.

I would contact Amazon customer service they are extremely helpful when you have difficulty with kindle purchases..

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

First asparagus pick yesterday so I thought I'd try cooking in the IP.  I put a cup of water in the bottom and placed the trivet in.  On top of that I made a foil "boat" and put the asparagus in along with some garlic, Lawry's salt and Lemon Pepper.  4 mins on high and QR.  Came out crisp/tender.  Tasted SO fresh.  I like my asparagus a tad more done so next time I'll go 6 mins and see what I get.

58ef724fbc1a2_photo70.JPG.b74c02313487a932ae53c4e4f2471193.JPG

58ef72412ab43_photo71.JPG.63797d07d1112697c9f5adb35f4972b2.JPG

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Shelby said:

First asparagus pick yesterday so I thought I'd try cooking in the IP.  I put a cup of water in the bottom and placed the trivet in.  On top of that I made a foil "boat" and put the asparagus in along with some garlic, Lawry's salt and Lemon Pepper.  4 mins on high and QR.  Came out crisp/tender.  Tasted SO fresh.  I like my asparagus a tad more done so next time I'll go 6 mins and see what I get.

58ef724fbc1a2_photo70.JPG.b74c02313487a932ae53c4e4f2471193.JPG

58ef72412ab43_photo71.JPG.63797d07d1112697c9f5adb35f4972b2.JPG

@ShelbyI tried this tonight and keeping in mind what you said, I gave it 5 minutes on high.  It was cooked through but tender crisp, perhaps a bit too crisp in a couple of spots.   Let us know what 6 minutes gives you.  I have a feeling that 6 minutes is the magic number.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@ShelbyI tried this tonight and keeping in mind what you said, I gave it 5 minutes on high.  It was cooked through but tender crisp, perhaps a bit too crisp in a couple of spots.   Let us know what 6 minutes gives you.  I have a feeling that 6 minutes is the magic number.

Ok!  I think I have enough for dinner tonight so I'll report back :) 

• Like 1

On April 12, 2017 at 11:24 AM, kayb said:

Which brings me to another question. On the Instant Pot forum on Facebook, which I don't trust as much as I do this one, several people have noted that if you use reconstituted dry milk for yogurt, you can skip the bring-to-180F step, because the milk proteins are already denatured. Anyone care to weigh in on that?

@kayb  I see there have been no responses to your question and since I have a ton of dry milk which I bought on sale for half price, I'll try it overnight and see what happens.  Check back tomorrow.

@kayb. I put 1 quart worth of reconstituted dry milk and 1/3 cup Greek yogurt in my IP before bed and set it on the yogurt setting for 9 hours, which is what I usually do.   This morning I let it drain for a couple of hours and measured 1 1/2 cups whey which is what I usually get.  I whisked the yogurt to smooth it out and stuck it in the fridge.  When I got home this afternoon I checked it and I have wonderful yogurt.  No more preheating the milk for me!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

@kayb. I put 1 quart worth of reconstituted dry milk and 1/3 cup Greek yogurt in my IP before bed and set it on the yogurt setting for 9 hours, which is what I usually do.   This morning I let it drain for a couple of hours and measured 1 1/2 cups whey which is what I usually get.  I whisked the yogurt to smooth it out and stuck it in the fridge.  When I got home this afternoon I checked it and I have wonderful yogurt.  No more preheating the milk for me!

Elsie, I am SO happy to hear this! It cuts the time, stops the film of milk protein that always sticks to the bottom of the pot, and is just easier! I remain entranced with how much simpler it is to make yogurt with dry milk, another one for which I'm indebted to you. Thank you!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

23 minutes ago, kayb said:

Elsie, I am SO happy to hear this! It cuts the time, stops the film of milk protein that always sticks to the bottom of the pot, and is just easier! I remain entranced with how much simpler it is to make yogurt with dry milk, another one for which I'm indebted to you. Thank you!

Yes, I forgot to add that the pot is a lot easier to clean.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

When you say "dry milk" do you mean dry skim milk or are you using dry "whole" milk?

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

When you say "dry milk" do you mean dry skim milk or are you using dry "whole" milk?

I use non-instant skim milk powder which I bought at Bulk Barn.      I got the recipe from the Internet somewhere and it  very specifically said to use non-instant.  @kayb is that what you use?

• Like 1

If there's a difference in instant and non-instant, I don't know what it is. I bought non-fat dry milk from Amazon, a five pound bag, the first time, and now I'm using a two-pound tin of Nestle's that I got at WalMart. I had previously used the grocery store packages which come with several 1-quart envelopes of dry milk, and they're labeled instant as well.

Don't ask. Eat it.

10 hours ago, kayb said:

If there's a difference in instant and non-instant, I don't know what it is. I bought non-fat dry milk from Amazon, a five pound bag, the first time, and now I'm using a two-pound tin of Nestle's that I got at WalMart. I had previously used the grocery store packages which come with several 1-quart envelopes of dry milk, and they're labeled instant as well.

A quick Google search suggests that instant skim milk powder will work perfectly fine to make yoghurt.   With Google of course the proof is always in the pudding (or the yoghurt).  I am tempted to give it a try just for the hell of it.  

My 2004 eG Blog

I can't remember where I got the recipe from and googling this morning didn't turn up the source either.  I found a passing reference that suggested non-instant made a thicker yogurt but I strain mine anyway so that likely isn't an issue.

I would make make a batch for comparison purposes using instant skim milk powder but I have non-instant galore from when it was on sale for half price.  Anyway, per @kayb the instant works and is probably easier to find.

I strain mine as well. I mix two cups of instant dry milk, two quarts of water, and a third to a half-cup of yogurt from the last batch, or a single-serve portion of Fage if I run out and start over. I get a bit more than a quart, but not quite a quart plus a full cup, out of that after I strain it for 3 or 4 hours.

I find the full-fat dry milk makes a creamier yogurt than does the non-fat, but there's little, if any, difference in taste.

I'm just excited I don't have to heat the milk any more.

Don't ask. Eat it.

Ok, so I made asparagus again last night.  Same method except this time I did 7 minutes.  I know I said I was going to do 6 but a lot of my spears were big fat ones so I felt like 7 was better.  Success!  Not mush, but not crisp.  Just how we like it.

• Like 2

I love asparagus too.  This time of year I like to say I could eat my weight in it.  Well, seems I try.

For me the fat spears are so much tastier than the thin ones.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Has anyone cooked this in their IP?  Shelby?  If yes, how did you do it?

image.jpeg

I have not but I think someone here has done a mix like that?  I'm curious too.......   Or maybe I did and it was a fail a long time ago?  My old brain can't remember.  @Anna N did you make wild rice at one point?  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shelby said:

have not but I think someone here has done a mix like that?  I'm curious too.......   Or maybe I did and it was a fail a long time ago?  My old brain can't remember.  @Anna N did you make wild rice at one point?  

Not me but I'm quite sure somebody did!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Apparently my memory is even worse than I thought.

Click. Not that it is seriously helpful!

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

Apparently my memory is even worse than I thought.

Click. Not that it is seriously helpful!

Oh good job!  I thought I had a murky memory of something like this. 

Sorry I wasn't any help @ElsieD  I do need to experiment.  I have a bag of wild rice from Rancho Gordo that I've had forever that I would like to try.

• Like 1