• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 4)

Mmmpomps

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

I have a rice cooker and would get the crusty mess every single time I tried to use it.  The IP has improved my rice 100%.  I, too, am no rice expert and am not picky about it.  I just want the rice to not be gummy or on the flip side too al dente.  I use plain ole Uncle Ben's.  1 cup of rice to 1 1/2 cups of water.  Manual, high pressure, 8 minutes, quick release.  Works every time.

The crust at the bottom is desired in some cultures (Iranian, for example) so some brands of rice cooker are designed specifically to create a generous "ta deeg."

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I want to cook rice in the IP but want to use the bowl in a pot method as I want to use coconut milk and have read that milk makes the rice stick to the bottom of the pot.  Do I have to adjust the time to take this into account?  

41 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I want to cook rice in the IP but want to use the bowl in a pot method as I want to use coconut milk and have read that milk makes the rice stick to the bottom of the pot.  Do I have to adjust the time to take this into account?  

Using that method, with a pyrex bowl inside the IP, I have had good success using the midpoint of the guidelines in this article.  I always wash and drain the rice first but don't otherwise adjust the time.  Caveat - I'm usually cooking 1 cup or less of raw rice, and more often than not using brown rice or a wild rice mix so I'm using a longer cooking time.  

I have used this recipe for coconut rice in the IP, pot in pot.  I believe I followed the 7 min cooking time but let the natural pressure drop go for 10 min (rather than the 7 min stated in that recipe) before releasing the remaining pressure.  

Edited to add that I've done a coconut brown rice with that recipe, 25 min high pressure, 10 min natural release.

Edited by blue_dolphin
cooking time = 7 min, not 7 in! (log)
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I made the most wonderful Minestrone soup in my IP yesterday.  It's so much easier to brown the meat, the veg. and then add the other ingredients rather than having to use two or more pots.

I then slow cooked it for seven hours.

Has anyone tested the slow cook temperature in their IP?  Mine seems to run somewhat hotter than my other slow cookers.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, lindag said:

I made the most wonderful Minestrone soup in my IP yesterday.  It's so much easier to brown the meat, the veg. and then add the other ingredients rather than having to use two or more pots.

I then slow cooked it for seven hours.

Has anyone tested the slow cook temperature in their IP?  Mine seems to run somewhat hotter than my other slow cookers.

Good question.  I was wondering about this as well.  I have not yet used the IP as a slow cooker but am planning on doing so today as I am making Dakdoritang (Korean Spicy Chicken Stew) from the koreanbapsang.com site.  It calls for cooking the stuff for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.  

The slow cook function has three setting - less, normal and more.  I just put some water in the pot and set it to slow cooker "less".  When the temperature stabilizes, I will repeat this little exercise on the "normal" and "more" settings.  I'll post the results.

• Like 2

I mentioned on the dinner thread that I've felt like we've been in an eating rut.

I ran across this recipe for shrimp and pork dumplings or Shurmai.  I've never eaten it or even heard of it, but it looked so good, and fun to make to boot.  AND it was done in the IP.  

So, I ordered one of these steamers from Amazon

58bc2d3a3f02f_photo16.JPG.80eb521580df7575566cf83191106a20.JPG

58bc2f34c9f65_photo19.JPG.49ef7f64e35a811d962e9a2673df5571.JPG

It fits perfectly in my IP.  Only one layer, though.  Two steamer levels make it too tall.  

I didn't take pictures of every step....the recipe is very straight forward and easy to follow...but here's a little sampling :) .

At the big grocery store I found these dumpling wrappers in the freezer section.

58bc2fdae9e4f_photo14.JPG.7bf81a157b869f0b924cce175efdc634.JPG

After thawing them they seemed exactly like the wonton wrappers that I usually buy......so maybe dumpling wrappers and wonton wrappers are the same thing?  Anyway, I much preferred these frozen ones because I never used up a whole package of them before they got all moldy.  It never crossed my mind to freeze them.  Anyway, I digress.  

I thawed out some shrimp and some ground pork and proceeded to make the "paste".  

I started with the shrimp first.  Diced it all up really small, added the cornstarch and salt and proceeded to squish it all up with my hands and occasionally balling it up and throwing it against the bowl.  

Quote from the recipe "Chinese people believe that mixing by hand will create the best texture. Throwing the paste against the mixing bowl will increase the bounciness of the Shumai."

Did I mention that this is super fun to make???

Anyway, here is the shrimp "paste"

58bc3163f1fa1_photo18.JPG.d7e7b0ae9902a323a7278a6d6ca524a5.JPG

Pork "paste"

58bc316e8c5b9_photo10.JPG.f0d4dd270afc3aa968522254ced5a355.JPG

Before mixing together after adding other ingredients

58bc3187b1d1f_photo11.JPG.941fee5bf381faa68dc44a6a8374586a.JPG

I used round parchment paper that I had poked holes in on the bottom of the steamer.  The recipe also says that lettuce leaves will work.  

I used a butter knife to scoop up about a tablespoon of the paste mixture into the dumpling wrapper.  Then you just kind of crimp it around.  Very easy to make.

All ready to go into the IP

58bc31c63afd5_photo12.JPG.2304eb48009520553eab5e2f00dcfa3b.JPG

I put a cup of water in the liner of the IP and then put my trivet in and set the steamer on top of that.  

Put the lid on the steamer basket and the secure the lid on the IP

Manual, high pressure, three minutes.  Natural release for five minutes and then quick release.

All done!

58bc31cfdae5d_photo8.JPG.0607435e6674eacc7e84e734e4d0ed1e.JPG

Seriously these were so good.  And easy and fun.  And, the recipe says they freeze well.  These won't make it to the freezer.  The leftovers will be my breakfast in a bit :)

ALSO,  in my other IP I had these going:

58bc33927cbd9_photo15.JPG.b215e21ca2c91c3dd3a96757a18b8597.JPG

Also found in the freezer section of the big grocery store.  

I was winging it on this.  The package said to steam from frozen for 8-10 mins.  So, again, I put a cup of water and my trivet in the IP liner pot.  Then I put the parchment covered steamer basket in with the buns.  Lid on the steamer.  Lid on the IP.  Four minutes using the steam setting and quick release.  Came out perfect.  There will be an after picture on the dinner thread in a bit.

58bc33eea6a9e_photo13.JPG.6028c45b985595411d5e64731eb71720.JPG

• Like 8

@Shelby  

wow.  Ive never thought of that  in the iP

thank you for spending my money !

should you get the chance , would you take a pic of the baskets in the iP on the rack Im assuming ?

i don't have Prime , but a friend lets me use theirs as " gift to ME " then I re imbrues them

yikes

if Ive missed this , think of the BaZillion other things Im missing  right now !

suprise.gif.02c141e9fc10f5c6953bfef1e3468e7b.gif

• Like 1

@Shelby

You are putting me to shame in terms of using my IP. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby  

wow.  Ive never thought of that  in the iP

thank you for spending my money !

should you get the chance , would you take a pic of the baskets in the iP on the rack Im assuming ?

i don't have Prime , but a friend lets me use theirs as " gift to ME " then I re imbrues them

yikes

if Ive missed this , think of the BaZillion other things Im missing  right now !

suprise.gif.02c141e9fc10f5c6953bfef1e3468e7b.gif

No problem :)

Yes, the basket is placed on the trivet/rack.

58bc3a5a659bc_photo21.JPG.3f78f030a623c4045539b129f7edaf09.JPG

58bc3a6316406_photo22.JPG.ddea84ac953ce9b74fe449560168f905.JPG

I need to shine my pot up a bit with some Barkeeper's Friend so excuse it's dullness lol.

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@Shelby

You are putting me to shame in terms of using my IP. 

Never!!!  You and Rotuts and others were the flag ship experimenters with the IP here!  I'm eternally grateful to you guys!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

so , @Shelby 

how many more iP's are you going to get at Amazon either at BlackFriday , or AmazonDay  

@ 79 $$  / pot ?

I don't know if I can resist if they go on sale again lol.  

Very nice Shelby.  Did you make a dipping sauce for the dumplings?

I use 2 parts soy sauce to 1 part white vinegar with some chili oil and chili flakes mixed in for some heat.  I love this sauce and have been known to drink any left after the dumplings are gone.xD

• Like 2

Just now, Okanagancook said:

I use 2 parts soy sauce to 1 part white vinegar with some chili oil and chili flakes mixed in for some heat.  I love this sauce and have been known to drink any left after the dumplings are gone.xD

I just had a little bowl of soy sauce.  I should have added some chili oil though. 

please also consider Ginger :  if you are able to , get fresh whole ginger , the heaviest you can find w no wrinkles 

w = old.

then just wash it off , dry , and freeze

grate w a microplane coarsely after the bit at the preciously grated area that has frost on it.

keep the skin on.  it protects the ginger and well , its fiber !

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

please also consider Ginger :  if you are able to , get fresh whole ginger , the heaviest you can find w no wrinkles 

w = old.

then just wash it off , dry , and freeze

grate w a microplane coarsely after the bit at the preciously grated area that has frost on it.

keep the skin on.  it protects the ginger and well , its fiber !

Yes, ginger in the sauce is a nice addition.

59 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Even better is to use black Chinese vinegar.  Delicious.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

That little experiment didn't work out too well.  The low setting was clocking in at 203F while the normal and high both registered at 216F.  That is when John reminded me that water doesn't get above 212F (duh!) so I then pulled out my Taylor to see what it was registering.  Long story short, the battery was dead.  I will try again tomorrow and test both of my pots.  They are different models and I will use both the Thermapen and the Taylor to see what I get.

• Like 1

I think I've only made spaghetti squash twice in my life.  The first time, I really don't remember lol.  I wanted to try again last night.  I've read glowing reports about doing one in the IP.  

The instructions that I read said it was best to cut it in half before cooking it in the IP.  Well, hell, that defeats the easiness of doing it the IP, IMO.  Also, I did try to cut it in half.  Wasn't gonna happen without me losing at least one finger.  Anyway, I'd also read plenty of reports of doing it whole with no problems.  So, a cup of water or so, trivet in, squash on top.  8 mins, high pressure, quick release.  Was able to easily slice it in half and remove the seeds.  But, I tested a strand and it was super "al dente".  Back in it went for 4 mins.  Took it out....still too al dente for me ( Ronnie loved it) , but we were hungry so I ate it.  I don't know if I would have done it more if it would have turned too mushy?  Anyone else done a spag squash in the IP?

58bd6705bd58b_photo23.JPG.e518b8e10e5dd9b7f5c612c00395c20e.JPG

Nope, however, I did buy a Spag squash a couple days ago so I will be eagerly watching here to see how it goes with others.  I've only done my squash in the oven (halving it beforehand) and it's always been really, really good.  So i'm not sure that I want to risk not getting my former results.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lindag said:

Nope, however, I did buy a Spag squash a couple days ago so I will be eagerly watching here to see how it goes with others.  I've only done my squash in the oven (halving it beforehand) and it's always been really, really good.  So i'm not sure that I want to risk not getting my former results.

I don't want to scare you from doing it in the IP--it's SO easy that way....and maybe the texture just isn't something that I'll ever like.  I am going to do another one if/when I can get to the store to get one.