• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions please for dark & white-meat chicken dinner dishes. Using Sous Vide chicken.

jaymer

I have large amounts of SV chicken, both white (boneless, skinless breast) & dark (boneless, skinless thighs).

I already use it for LOTS of stuff... from chicken to go in kids' lunches to quickly toss onto salad.

Its super quick to stir fry/saute some onions/brocc and toss in chicken.

Had chicken tacos last night - use a griddle and toast up strips of meat and tortillas.  

If we leave the thighs whole, my boy likes to toast buns & eat plain chicken sandwiches.  Loves the thighs much more than breasts.

Easy italian is a pan of hot sauce with tossed in cold white meat to warm in the sauce (flame off). Serve over pasta.  Easy!

Or I'll make a curry base and after ALL the veg/liquid is done, simply add a few lbs. of diced chicken and voila!

But I'm running out of ideas... we don't need to be eating Pasta every meal and a lot of rice with the Indian.

I'd like to find other flavor profiles to make where I can simply "add chicken at the end" and I've got a family meal.

Remember the chicken is already cooked and stored cold.

Thanks for [hopefully] some great ideas!!!

Jaymer...

Edited by jaymer (log)

Off the top of my head go Mexican… Quesadillas, enchiladas, tacos.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Brush on some glaze flavouring and use on pizzas.

Chicken pot pies, just put pre-cooked puff pastry on top.

Chicken fried rice.

Chicken and shrimp gumbo adding the chicken at the end with the shrimp.

Finely chopped or ground, mixed with mashed potatoes and dipped in flour, egg, bread crumbs and then fried...rissoles!

Calsones.

Chili.

Make a stuffing for veggies.....peppers,  eggplant, zucchini.....top with cheese.

Hearty soups.

• Like 2

chicken hash for breakfast with fried potatoes and red onions

chicken salad sandwiches, or on a bed of greens (there are some deluxe versions out there including Coronation Chicken )

terrine

frittata (and a vegetable like some chopped fresh tomato to brighten it a bit) these are good hot or cold: breakfast, brunch, lunch

cold asian sesame noodles

• Like 1

i think you've cover what i do with my SV chicken :

Patak jar'd curriy flavors , several thai jared pasted etc.

I heat the paste du j jut  w some water and perhaps cornstarch  for the proper amount and consistency

lower the heat to the SV temp and add the diced chicken that's just out the the SV bag.   keep the temp at or lower than the SV'd

bag's cooking temp or the chicken will get tough.

• Like 1

Chicken Divan

Chicken Tetrazzini

Fettucine Alfredo with chicken

Chicken chilaquiles

Chicken Florentine

Chicken burritos

Chicken empanadas

Chicken tostadas

BBQ or Buffalo chicken pizza*

Club sandwiches

Chef's Salad

Chicken A La King (I love this over fluffy biscuits)

*I am personally not a fan of chicken pizzas, because the meat is usually dried out. With perfectly cooked sous vide chix, if you sauced it and added in the last few minutes of cooking, it might come out moist and tasty.

> ^ . . ^ <

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Really, you are just looking for suggestions for leftover chicken. The cooking method seems irrelevant. A simple search on Google for leftover chicken will give you many ideas in addition to those given here.

Here I have to disagree.  I would not use sous vide chicken for chicken Divan, for example.  To my taste the dish requires sliced roast chicken breast.  On the other hand chicken Tetrazzini is the reason I cook chicken breast sous vide.

Speaking as one who cooked twelve chicken thighs last night.  Two in the Cuisinart Steam oven, ten of them anovaed.  The anovaed thighs keep for weeks in the refrigerator and I use them in any recipe for braised chicken parts:  Moroccan tagines, chicken cacciatore, chicken Marsala, etc.  This time I even wrote a date on them.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I appreciate all the ideas.   I'm NOT interested in using "leftover chicken"... as stated in the first post.  I'll have to look up a lot of these recipes, but I definitely have plenty to go on.

BTW, Using this chicken on a pizza works fine.  

I have to say the easiest and really yummy option is to toss on salad - I'm finding I make a huge salad a lot more since I have a large supply of protein to add to it.  Mostly I use cold, but sometimes I'll dice up dark meat and nuke for 1 min while I prepare the salad, then drain it and toss in.  Easy, cheap, fast.