• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

downside

17 hours ago, Bentley said:

That's the hard part- you have to pipe in the exact amount

Practice.  And you can always make the hole in the piping bag bigger (start small)

2 hours ago, Jim D. said:

it worked perfectly, piping without any mess at all. But I need to make sure this will set up and also be able to replicate this with a larger batch of marshmallow--the small amount allowed the mixture to cool down to 90F rather quickly, and this won't happen with more marshmallow.

Do you know that  trick of putting warm fillings in a piping bag and mushing it around on the cool table?  You get more surface area so it cools quickly.  Works with ganache, could help with marshmallow too.

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

True - cookies have low water content.

Yeah, I can't really think of a cookie that would mold.  I'd avoid moister cake and brownie layers, but shortbread, sable, graham crackers etc should be safe for a long time.

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

mixing melted cocoa butter and melted chocolate with crushed feuilletine, then rolling this very thin between plastic sheets. When it is firm, you cut it into pieces that will fit into the mold you are using. It is very tricky

For layers like these, I temper the chocolate and pipe the mix in while still liquid.  Yes, you have to temper one more thing, but you avoid some of the other issues.  Harder to get a super thin layer, though.   I just posted a raspberry pie bonbon over on confections! what did we make?.  The pie dough layer was puff pastry scraps, baked until golden brown and mixed with white chocolate and browned butter.

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

17 hours ago, Bentley said:

That's the hard part- you have to pipe in the exact amount

Practice.  And you can always make the hole in the piping bag bigger (start small)

2 hours ago, Jim D. said:

it worked perfectly, piping without any mess at all. But I need to make sure this will set up and also be able to replicate this with a larger batch of marshmallow--the small amount allowed the mixture to cool down to 90F rather quickly, and this won't happen with more marshmallow.

Do you know that  trick of putting warm fillings in a piping bag and mushing it around on the cool table?  You get more surface area so it cools quickly.  Works with ganache, could help with marshmallow too.

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

True - cookies have low water content.

Yeah, I can't really think of a cookie that would mold.  I'd avoid moister cake and brownie layers, but shortbread, sable, graham crackers etc should be safe for a long time.

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

mixing melted cocoa butter and melted chocolate with crushed feuilletine, then rolling this very thin between plastic sheets. When it is firm, you cut it into pieces that will fit into the mold you are using. It is very tricky

For layers like these, I temper the chocolate and pipe the mix in while still liquid.  Yes, you have to temper one more thing, but you avoid some of the other issues.  I just posted a raspberry pie bonbon over on confections! what did we make?.  The pie dough layer was puff pastry scraps, baked until golden brown and mixed with white chocolate and browned butter.