• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickled Red Onions

CNance

54 minutes ago, CNance said:

Does anyone have a good recipe for Pickled Red Onions?

These from Zuni Cafe are great. 

Click

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks for the info, I have to try that one. Sounds awesome. I'mma make some carnitas today, so I will try out the recipe and see . I'll let you know how it comes out.

Edited by CNance
Forgot sentence (log)

I pickle in vinegar, sugar, salt and water. Boil the onions in the pickle briefly, then store in the fridge for a few hours  to a day.

Because everything is decided at the  last minute I'll do often yellow onions and add a few drops of red food coloring to the pickle.

• Like 1

I can vouch for the Zuni Café recipe that @Anna N mentioned.  I tried it on her recommendation a while back and I really liked the crisp texture of the onions and the sweet-sour flavor.  It's a bit fiddly (plan your work-flow better than I did to avoid dripping sweet brine all over your kitchen :D), but the end result is worth it.  

For something a bit quicker, I made this recipe for Yucatán-Style Pickled Red Onions in Sour-Orange Juice when it appeared on Serious Eats a few months ago and I really enjoyed the citrus flavors in pulled pork sandwiches and quesadillas.

• Like 1

Not sure it is necessary to go through all the work in the zuni recipe listed above.

We have been making variations for years - the basic is the same however:

- Slice onions, sprinkle with coarse salt & let sit for an hour.

- Drain onions

- Create a vinegar/water mixture that is to your liking (we prefer it more tart) - I also prefer white wine vinegar and a bit of apple.

- Add in seasonings, hot pepper, coriander seed, you name it.

Let sit for a few hours and its ready to enjoy.

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Not sure it is necessary to go through all the work in the zuni recipe listed above.

Have you tried them, and compared taste and texture to yours and other recipes?  Personally, I like them better than other recipes I've tried.  YMMV

Whatever little extra work is involved is, IMHO, worth it.

... Shel

I am also not a fan of boiling them.  Part of why I prefer my preparation, a part from the ease factor, is the onion flavour which is still present.  Boiling inevitably reduces that.  Salting does as well, but less so.

For context, I have tried the method of preparation but not their spice mixture or perhaps quantities.

Edited by TicTac (log)

I use Rick Bayless' recipe. It has apple cider vinegar, garlic, Mexican oregano, and something I can't remember right now, cloves? No that's not it and I'm not home to check the cookbook. Seemed odd to me when I read the recipe, but they come out tasty. They are briefly boiled, couple minutes tops. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.