• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The marketing of his own cookbook, and beyond

Dave the Cook

Those of us that have been following Rob Connoley's (aka gfron1) trek from home cook to down-and-literally-dirty locavore James Beard-semi-finalist chef are justifiably proud of his well-deserved transformation to a published author, which he has faithfully detailed in an earlier topic. If you're not familiar with his story, I urge you to catch up, then come back here, because we're ready to move on to the next step.

Rob's book, Acorns & Cattails: A Modern Foraging Cookbook of Forest, Farm & Field, is finally, officially available. This alone is awesome news, and you should totally order your copy today. Or . . . 

. . . we want to continue the conversation about Rob, his book and his future plans in this topic. And just to up the awesomeness, Rob is offering a free book to a randomly selected participant here.

Simply post a question or comment in this topic between now and 11:59 p.m. CST (US), 13 September 2016 and you'll be eligible to "win," based on a random drawing to be conducted, with each participant getting one chance, not including Society volunteers (and Rob himself. Multiple posts will not improve your chances, so don't get overheated.)  The winner will be announced on 14 September.

Rob will be along shortly to add his encouragement and whatever late-breaking news he has -- he's busy guy these days, so be patient -- but there's no need to wait to post questions or comments.

P.S. And if you don't win, you should still get this book.

• Like 12

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

When I first met Rob on eGullet, I was a restaurant cook and half-owner of a catering business and he was running a gourmet grocery that he made desserts for and doing some really nice home cooking. A few years later Rob is a James Beard semi-finalist, restaurant chef/owner and now a published author working on opening his next restaurant adventure... and I'm still a restaurant cook. Just goes to show what hard work, dedication and motivation (along with a healthy dose of talent) can do. I think it's awesome and I'm looking forward to the book. But you don't have to put my name in the hat for the free copy, I'm fine with buying this one.

• Like 10

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Since I already own the book, I don't feel the need to enter the contest.

But, I do know Rob has moved to St. Louis, so my question is this:

Are you going to become a Cardinals' fan, because that may cause a rift?!

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Of course he will become a Cardinal fan.  I think there may even be a law that you can't own property if you're not a rabid fan:D

Has it been mentioned when those of us who preordered from Rob will be getting our copies?  I ordered back in December and am so ready to have a copy in my own hands.  

• Like 1

Thanks to Dave and the team for setting up this Q&A. It seems a bit odd since many of you have known me for a long time now, and I'm certainly not short on words, so I think many of you know what I'm thinking at times. I would like to start off by sharing two pictures from the cookbook:

14238079_10154319680444845_634288714709214202750_10154319680389845_1600644678081

Acorns & Cattails is bookended with my appreciation to eGullet for a reason. As Tri2Cook mentioned, when I first found the forum back in 2005 I was a foodie to be sure, but not hard core, and with zero formal training. I had never consciously foraged. I had never taken other people's money for food. In fact, I was just a guy who ate out a lot for work. My degree is in the Social Psychology of Sport and Exercise, and most of my pre-food career was running non-profits which resulted in my taking people out to lunch to beg for money. 

But when I found eGullet I was surrounded by experts. Some known, like Grant Achatz and Dorie Greenspan, and the vast majority unknown to the larger culinary world. I remember how I learned to properly use a knife from Chad Ward, who ultimately put out a fantastic book. And I remember when I was the recipient of a giveaway for Ann Amernick's book, which I ultimately baked my way through doing every recipe. I had so much fun baking the book, that next I baked my way through Pierre Herme's books. I can't remember who recommended those books, but someone on eG suggested them to me. Those two books were also when I met Dorie Greenspan here in the forum, and was surprised how willing a famous author was to engage with this community. And then somewhere in this mix of events was the moment that I know launched me into a new paradigm of cooking, and bolstered me previously shaky confidence - the moment that Ling picked me to do a pastry challenge.

Fast forwarding a decade, I have had some success with my restaurant and career, and am preparing to start all over now that I've moved to St. Louis and enter this major market with a slew of amazing chefs with serious creds. Acorns & Cattails will be the closing of my previous New Mexico life and the launch of my return to the city where I am born and raised. I am starting at square one (well, maybe two) learning new plants to forage, and studying how to invest serious money in a serious restaurant in a city with serious restaurant reviewers. Scary and daunting, so my attention to details and planning are crucial.

But back to the giveaway. I'm writing all of this the day after I met Elliot, a 13-year old self professed foodie who has already held his own pop-up dinner. I mentioned the name Flynn McGarry and he bristled at the comparison (ironically he later compared me to Michael Gallina to which I bristled). I guess we all want our own spotlight. Once we both put our egos aside, I invited him to cook with me at my first pop-up coming right after the book tour. I remember how important it was for me to have the eGullet forum root me on, educate me, and critique me to improve. I have always tried to pass that along to aspiring cooks that I have worked with in the past. And so this book giveaway comes because much of my career is owed to that Amernick book, but moreso this community.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Are you going to become a Cardinals' fan, because that may cause a rift?!

My spouse is splitting his time between StL and KC for his job, so he keeps both teams ball caps in his car for use depending on the audience. 

Even though my degree is in sport and exercise I'm not a big fan of team sports anymore, but if I have to have a team there is no doubt it will be the Cardinals (baseball) and Blues. I gave up on team sports in early 90s when teams decided that they could move to whatever city built them the best stadium. Football Cardinals are dead to me. Rams were never my team when they were here - dead to me! But the baseball Cardinals are owned by a family that is firmly rooted in St. Louis and I appreciate that. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IowaDee said:

Has it been mentioned when those of us who preordered from Rob will be getting our copies?  I ordered back in December and am so ready to have a copy in my own hands.  

I touched on the bigger picture of distribution and Amazon dominance in the Making of topic. My publisher doesn't even have their copies yet. The printer ships them to Perseus Distribution, who shipped Amazon their batch while EVERYONE else (me, the publisher, Amazon's competitors) waits until the 20th. I've been told that the publisher will get theirs on the 17th. They will then ship to me. I'll inscribe until my hand cramps, then I'll ship them out immediately. I'm also working on the extras like the food photo tutorial from my photographer, and the bonus recipes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

What was the first edible that spurred your desire to forage, or what did you see in the woods that you learned was edible and ignited your foraging desires?

As a child I would bring back a small bucket of crawfish from time to time, which my mom lovingly worked into dinners, but my formal foraging happened at the Curious Kumquat. It just made sense there. Pristine wilderness. Vast amounts of diverse environment. In the book I have an essay about Doug Simons, who mentored me in foraging. More importantly, he mentored me in ethical foraging which is so often lacking. 

Sec1Doug05552.jpg

As I am struggling to learn new plants right now I remember how learning to forage is like building steam bking up a hill. It takes a while to get the wheels moving, and once you do you get stronger and faster, and then finally you can zip along and enjoy the ride. Back in the Gila Wilderness finding super sweet and juicy juniper berries did that for me. That moment that you're asking about is realizing how amazing nature's food could be if you struggled along for a bit (eating a lot of nasty juniper berries and getting legs covered in chigger bites). 

• Like 6

CONGRATS, Rob! One heck of a journey finally released into the world. Be sure to pause and celebrate this success.

I was, as Rob told me, the very first purchaser of his book. I look forward to receiving my copy! It will hold a special place in my culinary collection.

(Since I own the book (and look forward to receiving it, I don't want to be included in the contest. Share the wealth!)

Edited by vogelap (log)
  • Like 2

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

That's awesome, gfron, thank you.

I grew up picking edibles and enjoying what nature had to offer, but only recently did I get more involved as I learned about wild mushrooms (Elm Oysters to be specific - nothing as amazing as a FRESH wild mushroom) and edible greens like garlic mustard, wood sorrel, wild grape leaves, and many other edibles that Southern Ontario has to offer.

Keep doing what you are doing!

• Like 2

Thanks for clearing that up for me.  I can't imagine how full your plate must be right now.

Hee, hee as a kid I went to many Ram's games when they were in Los Angeles.  It was kind of a special deal to go with my Dad.  Never liked the game itself and still don't  Football is just brutal and dumb to me. Lumpy men bashing into each other.....

But St.  Louis folks are such huge supporters of the Cards that it is a whole different thing.  

You're living in a very cool city, from the fantastic zoo to the beautiful botanical center and everything inbetween

• Like 2

So very cool to see your book become a real thing! It was so exciting to be able to share some of this journey with you, thank you! 

Any idea of what date the St Louis restaurant will open? (Not the pop-up, but the more permanent one.) Or when will there be more details?  

• Like 2

Just popping in to say a well deserved congratulations. Don't enter me in the draw, it should go to someone who can actually forage for the stuff in the recipes :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Any idea of what date the St Louis restaurant will open? (Not the pop-up, but the more permanent one.) Or when will there be more details?  

Not yet. I am shopping for buildings already but I'm still hoping to sell my building in NM before I open up so I have a stronger operating cash reserve.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, demiglace said:

It's been very exciting to watch your journey from afar. I thank you for sharing it. What are you most looking forward to?

I loathe downtime whether it's a daily moment or a longer life period, so right now I'm most looking forward to getting into my new building and serving food again. As far as the book goes, I'm looking forward to Terry Gross calling me for an interview :)

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

I loathe downtime whether it's a daily moment or a longer life period, so right now I'm most looking forward to getting into my new building and serving food again. As far as the book goes, I'm looking forward to Terry Gross calling me for an interview :)

I assume you are saying that this is already is something already set.  If it is a wish at this moment, I hope it comes true! 

Whenever that is going to air, please give us a heads up.  I would love to hear it!

• Like 1

How much of your foraging knowledge will transfer? And how, other than a mentor, will you learn about the foraging opportunities available in your new location?

(No need to enter me in the book drawing, as I ordered mine from you back in May and am eagerly awaiting its arrival!)

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2