• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The marketing of his own cookbook, and beyond

Dave the Cook

19 hours ago, Smithy said:

A lot of cities now have edible plants as ornamentation; fruit trees and herbs line the sidewalks and walkways of places I've visited.  @Wayne, might that be an option for you?  @gfron1, is that a possibility for you in St. Louis, or are you looking for wilder areas? If I recall correctly, you were recently in the Los Angeles area taking a course related to this.

Unfortunately the city I live in is firmly rooted in the 1960's with respect to policy concerning horticulture. It's got to be weed free grass. Species of trees on municipal property is very limited (likely a result of not creating a disease reservoir with potential for damaging the area's commercial orchards). There are fruit trees on private property and indeed I have an arrangement with two of my neighbours to pick their unwanted cherries and apples.

• Like 1

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

This particular topic is supposed to be more about the giveaway and Q&A, but since it was titled the Marketing of...last night I shared another YouTube video. There are 4 that are released and 7 total coming. Of course you can subscribe if you want to not miss one thrilling moment. My favorite part of this video is when my old girl Lexi stands on her hind legs at about :45. I didn't know she had done this until we edited the video.

• Like 15

10 hours ago, gfron1 said:

My favorite part of this video is when my old girl Lexi stands on her hind legs at about :45. I didn't know she had done this until we edited the video.

Lexi looks like such a good dog! 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Lexi looks like such a good dog! 

She's the best ever. Getting achey and old, but I have never done a hike/forage without her since she was born 13 years ago- and that's 5-6 hikes a week year round.

• Like 8

Rob, good luck with the launch of your book and with your new beginnings in St.L. Foraging, where I live, is seen slightly differently to what it is in the US of A and not many of our restaurants appear to consider it as a means of supplementing a menu.

Our best foraging experts are the nomadic San people, a fast declining population of hunter - gatherers (aka Bushman), who survived centuries until the Europeans arrived! They left a wealth of information in the form of rock paintings in their shelters.

image.jpeg

A fat steak for dinner - about 2500 years ago!

• Like 9

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

On 9/8/2016 at 6:45 PM, gfron1 said:

Still not looking :) Too scary.

Good judgement. Nothing to be gained from reading them and there is something to be lost.

Read a pro's review...maybe. The Yelpers on Amazon...no

• Like 1

After following along the painstaking journey towards completion of this book I was delighted to come across this topic and learn that it is now on sale.  If the book explains things even half as clearly as @gfron1 kindly did for me here on eGullet when I wanted to learn how to make pâte de fruits I'm sure it will become indispensable to many.

During childhood late summers were characterised by collecting wild blackberries and similar but more recently my interest in what wild places might offer us to eat was awakened when living in France.  There it was (is) common go see cars parked next to a verge with a healthy stock of dandelion leaves or nettles.  In Autumn every pharmacy will show a sign inviting people to bring in their foraged mushrooms for identification.  Pity this service service isn't common in England, I would really like a definitive ID of those mushrooms that just keep coming in our garden (photo on gardening thread).

We are just back from Paris where some of the summer displays along the riverside are still in place.  These included raised beds filled with plants that can be foraged for food, each clearly labelled.  First time I've seen nettles as a part of a plant display but they were huge and very beautiful, probably the soil was much better than anything they grow on in the wild.  

I really enjoyed the nettles video and will certainly subscribe on YouTube.

Very best wishes for every success with your book.

• Like 7

I heard today that Barnes & Noble now has the book in stock. Amazon controls the universe. Barnes & Noble controls the planet. My publisher controls me. I control nobody. 

That, my friends, is the pecking order of who gets books first.

• Like 9

As promised, tonight a member participating in this topic was randomly selected to receive a free copy of the book, courtesy of @gfron1.

Drum roll please....

The winner of the free book is @Mmmpomps! Congratulations! Rob will be in touch with you shortly to arrange the details.

• Like 18

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

18 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

As promised, tonight a member participating in this topic was randomly selected to receive a free copy of the book, courtesy of @gfron1.

Drum roll please....

The winner of the free book is @Mmmpomps! Congratulations! Rob will be in touch with you shortly to arrange the details.

Thank you so much! I'm so looking forward to this! What a wonderful surprise :)))

Mmmpomps

• Like 13

Cs4p20LWgAA8KGd.jpg

Today's St. Louis Post-Dispatch did a full page full color spread on the book, me, my future plans and a recipe! Yesterday I was on our local NPR  HERE (you can read it or listen to the archive audio) A good send off for my tour which starts next week.

• Like 16

The book arrived at my library on Monday; I picked it up today. Lovely.

Apropos the picture just above, we already have the ingredients for bacon jam (the bacon is from these good folks at Crane Dance Farm), so that'll be first up. We're fresh out of ground elk, but we do have ground beef (also from Crane Dance). What else, if anything, did you put on the burger? Did you use any seasonings in the meat besides salt and, I assume, black pepper?

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My world in Silver City seems like years ago (according to my memory), but I think our burgers were: elk, salt, smoked paprika, then topped with bacon jam and mont jack cheese. I tend to season simply to keep purer flavors.

• Like 2

Thanks, Rob. I'm pretty sure I seriously overcooked the jam -- after it cooled, it was dark, thick, sticky, and pretty much unspreadable unless heated for a bit in the microwave. Still delicious, though. I made six(ish)-ounce burgers seasoned with just salt and black pepper, dividing each into two three-oz patties then dotting some jam between them before smushing them back together. That was it for my burger; Ms. Alex got a bit of ketchup and mustard because, well, some things just aren't worth arguing about.

When I return the book to the library, I'll ask if they could put it on the "new non-fiction" display rack for a while. There's already one hold on it, awaiting my return. There's a second copy in the system, at a different library, but its status is "unknown," which means it's probably on order.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't claim that Duluth, Minnesota is "hitting the big time", but I was pleased to see an article about Rob's book in yesterday's paper:  Acclaimed foraging chef Rob Conneley releases cookbook. (The original was from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, and our paper picked it up.) It's a nice little writeup, with a picture of that gorgeous cover. 

• Like 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 weeks later...

My copy is here!  It's here!  It's hereit'shereit'shere! and with a lovely inscription (thank you, Rob) that makes the wait worthwhile.

I already have it festooned with markers for recipes I want to try out.  I'd already been messing with mesquite and the book has enticing recipes for using it, but now I have Pork Belly Poppers, Papas Rellenos, Rolled Roasted Roots, Curried Kumquat Chutney (which looks like a great Christmas gift) and numerous desserts marked.  The instructions for bonbons (Lemon Poppy Seed, Cassis Poppy Seed) look clear and non-intimidating. In a few weeks I expect to be in a position to try the Crawfish Samosas and Curry Rice Balls using local ingredients.

This book is even more beautiful in print than in the electronic copies I'd seen.  Well done, Rob. :)

• Like 8

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

My book arrived yesterday.  Unfortunately the flap was completely  open and all I had to do was reach in  pull it out . The book got banged up a bit so I suspect it fell out at some time on the journey,  Can you tell me what the extras were so I'll know if everything was there?  On the plus side, yes it is just beautiful and looks very intriguing.  Damn post office anyway.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2016 at 2:41 PM, IowaDee said:

My book arrived yesterday.  Unfortunately the flap was completely  open and all I had to do was reach in  pull it out . The book got banged up a bit so I suspect it fell out at some time on the journey,  Can you tell me what the extras were so I'll know if everything was there?  On the plus side, yes it is just beautiful and looks very intriguing.  Damn post office anyway.

One is a discussion about the book's photographs.  It begins by telling cover image and how it was shot: equipment, settings and software.  From there it broadens out to discuss the equipment and lighting used throughout the book, and how the images were processed.  This handout is 1 sheet of 81/2 x 11 paper, both sides.

The second 'extra' is additional recipes that evidently didn't make it into the book: Gluten-free Flatbread, Green Chile Corn Chowder, Fish Tacos, Gyro, Southwest Burgers, Key Lime Pies and Brownie.  They take up 2 more sheets of 81/2 x 11 paper, both sides.

Edit: I had to go back to Page 1 of this topic to find the description of the extras.  Maybe it's redundant, given what I wrote above, but here's the reference.

On 9/6/2016 at 10:18 AM, gfron1 said:

.... I'm also working on the extras like the food photo tutorial from my photographer, and the bonus recipes.

Edited by Smithy
Added original reference (log)
  • Like 1

I shall get my husband to take a couple of photographs as soon as he has time .  He has yet to master shooting a close-up.  Since the book is for my own use and not a gift, the damage isn't critical but you should be aware for future mailings.  

Just looking through it, has made me look around the place with different eyes.  I remember my daughter having a friend spend the night here many years ago.. She was so excited to gather some purslane from out yard.   She was a real cutting edge little kid.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IowaDee said:

I shall get my husband to take a couple of photographs as soon as he has time .  He has yet to master shooting a close-up.  Since the book is for my own use and not a gift, the damage isn't critical but you should be aware for future mailings.  

No need for pics, just let me know if you need a replacement.