• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Factory Visits

DianaB

A few weeks ago we visited a couple of food related companies close to where we live.  I'm sure I've read other posts about Wensleydale cheese but not certain of the thread, hence starting a new topic.  Perhaps others might have visited different food production companies?  

The Wensleydale creamery almost disappeared a few years ago, the popularity of Wallace and Gromit films has helped the new owners make a real success of what might otherwise have been a risky venture.  We first visited years ago, just after the place was in new ownership.  I recall a much smaller scale operation where visitors could really get close to the cheese making process.  

image.jpeg

The venture has grown hugely, as have hygiene regulations.  Now visitors can only see the production area through a glass partition, the photos I took through the less than clear glass are blurred and hard to make out so not used here.

There is a small 'museum' display, also a shop, coffee place and restaurant.  

Below, some bits and pieces from the museum:

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Pride of place of course for Wallace and Gromit:

image.jpeg

The shop is now much larger than I remember, when we walked through before visiting the rest of the place there were few people around, should have taken a photo then.  When we returned it was packed and this was the best I could do without including other visitors:

image.jpeg

The shop is layed out for efficiency,, visitors enter at the right and work their way round to exit left.  Hand sanitation on entry and tasting plates arranged all around the central u shaped counter.  They had bits and pieces of overpriced herbs, coffee etc also for sale in here.

We also visited a local brewery, Black Sheep.  I'm sure I took photos but no idea what happened to them.

We enjoyed coffee and scones at the end of both visits.  

image.jpeg

One day I'll get a decent photo, in focus without shadows...

Looking forward to any reports after your visits to commercial food production companies!  

(Edited to try to get photos where they should be)

Edited by DianaB (log)
  • Like 8