• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ safety

Okanagancook

Interesting report here http://bc.ctvnews.ca/brushing-up-on-barbecue-cleaning-safety-1.3053352

i just checked my old brushes and they were quite crushed with little wires in all directions.  They are in the bin.

Does anyone know what else to use?

CI had a procedure for burning off food residue on grills.  Put a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil on the grill and let is rip on high until you have ashes on the grill.  This works well.  Then I suppose instead of the brush one could use an oiled paper towel.

Get it hot, burn off last residue and use a wad of crumpled old newspaper. Be very wary off wetting the newspaper as it will generate steam and you do not want steam burns!

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

For the last ten years or so, I've been using a refillable grill brush (like this one -- here are the refills).  Here in SoCal, the Land of Year-Round Grillin', I go through about two pads per year.  And to attack the really baked-on junk, I use a pumice stone from the dollar store.

Works for me...

• Like 1

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.