• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm just in.....

michaelt

Hi;  I've just started reading through some of the posts, and topics here, and I hope to post something beneficial to contribute when the time comes. I am fairly new to baking, having just finished a year of Culinary school (s). I am 62 yrs old now,and having retired from the building trades (Cabinetmaker / Finish Carpenter), I needed something to challenge me, and spend some time out of my comfort zone. I started with a 6 months of Cooking school here in Vermont, learning the basics / and science connected with that, with a little experience working the line (wow !). After graduating with a certificate from that school (Community Kitchen Academy / Vermont Food Bank), I applied to NECI (New England Culinary Institute), and began the Baking and Pastry certificate program there. Having just graduated from there, in good standing, I need to keep studying the science and practices...keep the passion alive , and see where it leads next. I was looking on the web seeking a used / affordable dough sheeter, when I came across this fine forum. Thanks for having me.

Michael

• Like 9

Welcome. I have an acquaintance that is a retired emergency room physician that went to culinary school to learn baking and pastry. I also found this forum while searching the web for an answer to a question and am glad I did.

• Like 3

Welcome Michaelt and the first thing I have to say to you is that I am green with jealousy.  If only we had  a cooking school of ANY kind in my area. 

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.