• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Top with champagne"

garnishgirl

Hi there,

This is my first post here at eGullet, but I figured you guys would be the ones to ask! I'm a big fan of sparkling wine cocktails, and I just made my first one out of the Death & Co cocktail book (Bitter French). In the recipe it just lists "champagne" without giving a quantity, and I feel like this is pretty common. But after reading all the careful discussion of various spirits and techniques in the book, it struck me as odd that they'd leave this so vague. Is there a standard amount of sparkling wine you're meant to add in these recipes? Maybe a certain level the flute should be filled to?

Thanks for your input!

• Like 1

"Top" and "splash" are hideously-vague instructions. You are left to your own to interpret. Generally, I think about the typical glass that would be used and the volume of the other ingredients, plus any ice.

For sparkling wine cocktails, you might differentiate between something like a Kir Royale, where a small amount of flavoring/sweetening (cassis) is used with a large volume of wine versus a cocktail where the wine is just used to add a effervescence (including mouth feel) and a small amount of acidity and wine aroma.

The best bet would be to add a small amount of sparkling wine, taste, and add more until you are happy. Your pleasure is what really matters most after all.

• Like 4

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Thanks guys! Glad I'm not the only one who feels like it's a bit too vague. I also tend to add about 2 oz. and taste, but sometimes that doesn't fill the flute and I wonder if the recipe is meant to contain more. But like Dan said, all that matters is that you like it!

• Like 1

Long been a particular annoyance to me with various cocktail recipes. If it is based on the "typical" glass used by a particular person or bar then we aren't all going to have the same thing. Elucidation of the quantity recommended, whatever the ingredient is, is always my preference!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2