• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nougat using powdered egg whites

pastryani

Can powdered egg whites be used to make nougat/torrone?  Has anyone had experience with this and been successful?  I tried it once with a "3 musketeers" recipe and it was extremely chewy (you could've used it as a doggie pull toy). :D  I'd prefer to use powdered whites but am hesitant to try unless there's a good (and tested) recipe out there (would hate to toss out all that honey, nuts, and fruit if it doesn't turn out well).

I came here to open a new post on powdered egg whites and coincidence I find this message.

Can powdered egg whites being whipped? If not I don't think you have a good result. I was looking for an organic source of powdered egg whites and the one I found cannot be whipped.

• Like 1

Hi Franci - yes you can whip powdered egg whites (just reconstitute the powder with water).  I've done it a handful of times for a variety of things (like buttercream and meringue cookies), but the consistency of the finished product (particularly with the cookies) was off.  For example the meringue cookies were cracked on the outside and had liquid on the inside seeping out.  Either I haven't figured out the correct proportion of egg white powder to liquid yet (highly likely), OR powdered egg whites just play very differently than their fresh white counterparts (or both). xD

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RobertM said:

I've used them successfully on several occasions, merely reconstituting them prior to use - worked wonderfully!

What do you use them for, and what are the proportions you use to reconstitute?  Also what brand do you use?

11 hours ago, curls said:

The So Good website recently posted an article/snippet about using powdered egg whites to make marshmallow -- may help with your nougat making... http://www.sogoodmagazine.com/pastry-blog/pastry-chef-articles/marshmallows-made-with-albumin-powder-by-jordi-puigvert-in-evolution/

I so gotta do this - I've got albumin in the house.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, curls said:

The So Good website recently posted an article/snippet about using powdered egg whites to make marshmallow -- may help with your nougat making... http://www.sogoodmagazine.com/pastry-blog/pastry-chef-articles/marshmallows-made-with-albumin-powder-by-jordi-puigvert-in-evolution/

Were there recipes on this link or do you have to buy the Evolution book?!