• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superfoods are bollocks

gfweb

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

My girlfriend says watermelon is a superfood, and I choose to believe.

xDxD. Right on. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

About fifty years ago, well I guess not "about" -- let me begin again -- fifty years ago I was in a program of biochemistry.  One of my co-students was named "girl with a gallon" because of the scientifically measured effect of this superfood in a controlled study of human physiology.

Not wishing to be obtuse, watermelon makes you pee.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

And here I opened this thread thinking that it was going to be about the amazing health-enhancing properties of Rocky Mountain Oysters.

• Like 3

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

14 hours ago, paulraphael said:

My girlfriend says watermelon is a superfood, and I choose to believe.

Watermelon is delicious, refreshing, especially on a hot summer day, and very rich per calorie in Vitamins A and C. Not so much in everything else, but I choose to believe in its superfood properties too. :D

> ^ . . ^ <