• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guest Demographics

fresh_a: For your guests who dine more than once at a three-star restaurant during a trip, what are their typical demographics with respect to (1) number of people traveling together (e.g., a couple versus a family with children), (2) age, and (3) business versus leisure travelers. What is the typical length of stay in Paris for that type of guest?

The answer to this questions is: it depends. But, in general, we get a lot of couples, well-educated, widely travelled married couples , who know fine dining, and like a mix of starred-restaurants, bistros, and trendy places... These are mostly people on vacation, but, that also depends, for example, at this moment, everyone is related to the fashion industry, as it is the Haute Couture week....

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Do you find waves of guests with absolutely no interest in food? Are there show and events in Paris that attract people whose interest in food is rather limited? In the opposite vein, we checked in to our hotel one January and the young woman at the desk, making small talk, asked if were there for the sales. At the time, I wasn't even aware that store are only allowed to run major sales in January and August. My wife and I looked at each a bit puzzled and then said "no, we're here to eat."

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

The clients I have love what you'd call the "good life", they like to eat,drink and be merry..although some like the vegetarian specials, and not much red meat, most of them love food....

This is one of the main reasons, apart from shopping and museums , that people come for

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

What is the general age range of clients visiting two- and three-star restaurants, and do young children receive baby-sitting services? At what age do children begin attending themselves? What two- or three-star restaurants have special meal arrangements for children?

Do older-age clients have health considerations which cause them to have to limit their restaurant going?

Edited by cabrales (log)

The general age range is probably from the mid-to-late 20's to the late 60's ... although we have had older and younger.... Most of the time the starred-ones frown on children coming to dine as they are not particularly appreciative or able to appreciate top level gastronomic cuisine (although I have seen some that are!), and also because they can't sit still for three hours!

We arrange babysitting often.

Again, concerning old aged people, each case is different....If you're a multi-billionaire who have your bodyguard and driver following you everywhere, you never have too much discomfort

Edited by fresh_a (log)

blog