• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deconstructed lemon tart

smitties009

I don't see crumble as part of lemon meringue pie.

Also, the cream quenelle, what does that represent? -Meringue does not contain cream, it's just egg white and sugar. The curd is also cream-free. (although it does contain a small amount of butter)

I see the following components in the pie slice: crust (with vanilla flavor), custard (with lemon juice flavor), and meringue (sometimes has vanilla). Fire would be a potential extra.

The beauty of lemon meringue pie, to me, is in the eggs. The genius here is the balance of using egg yolks for the curd and whites for the meringue. Essentially, I would look at some sort of sweetened egg yolk preparation (plain, very yolk-y sabayon?) and some egg white foam. Then, you have lemon supremes. And, maybe, some shards of glass-like hard candy made with vanilla extract.

I might add meringues, the cookie, to represent the topping, maybe.

I would add a shortbread cookie to represent the crust. I can't imagine deconstructing this further, as you just get butter, flour, and sugar.

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)
  • Like 1

Great thanks lisa, I was intending on using the cream as a quenelle garnish sorry rather than in the meringue itself.  Yes the crust i was intending on using shortbread I just didn't word it properly.  Just thinking of structuring different garnishes on the plate now, rather than just serving a sliced piece of tart.  Thanks again.

Hmmm.  When I read the topic title, all I thought of was the simplicity of a well made tart crust and a wonderful lemon curd filling.  And maybe some blueberries on the plate for color.  Then I read Lisa's take on it, and thought, why not put a quenelle of meringue on the plate and torch that.  And then my mind wandered (ok, it's a big leap)  to Jim Dodge's whole fresh raspberries in creme brulee (at least, I think it was he who did that, while he was at the Stanford Court?) and I thought why not hide a few perfect blueberries or raspberries under the lemon curd....

• Like 1

He didn't actually ask about a lemon meringue pie specifically. In my mind, a lemon tart and a lemon meringue pie are two different critters. The difference being, to be a lemon meringue pie, it has to include meringue, to be a lemon tart, it can, but does not have to, include meringue. So I don't see a problem with the whipped cream quenelle or a need for it to represent anything. To me, the crumble was standing in for the crust. So it both represents and fits. I think you were doing fine covering the basic components and flavors but if you want more you could bring in a little contrast through textures, temperatures, flavors, etc. since you're doing it as a plated deconstructed dessert rather than a slice of pie. Sticking with the basic flavors will keep the idea of a lemon tart front and center (probably the route I would go if you want people to "get" lemon tart without it being a lemon tart) but contrasts work if you aren't worried about being completely literal with your translation. I did a deconstructed lemon meringue pie years ago and kept it obvious that that's what I was going for and it was good. A nice slice of the pie would have been much less trouble and just as good but sometimes that's irrelevant because it's also fun to do what you want to do. And if it's not fun, what's the point?

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

If you are thinking of deconstructing a tarte au citron, then you would not want to add meringue ... that would be appropriate for a decon of a lemon meringue pie. The cream quenelle is not a direct component of tarte au citron, but it could be argued to be appropriate. The shortbread or sablé cookie or crumble fits, too. Perhaps a candied lemon slice or even candied lemon peel would be an appropriate addition here? Also, you could play around with Maghrebi salt-preserved lemon peel to add a lemon note with an unexpected twist? The saltiness and texture of the peel would fit and contrast nicely at the same time. And perhaps if they are available lemon flowers, brushed with egg white and rolled in sugar, à la candied violets??

• Like 1

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Thanks everyone for your input, initially i did only intend on making the components for a lemon curd tart, not lemon meringue pie.  So far for this dish Im having the following.

Lemon curd, shortbread crumble with a hint of fresh thyme, chantilly, raspberries, edible flowers perhaps a granita, and for some height was thinking of doing a tuile.  Arrange it somehow over the plate to look naturally inviting.  Thanks again

• Like 2