• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Waxy potatoes

ninagluck

This is my 2nd round in the US and this time I'm having more difficulties finding good potatoes. Farmers markets if are around give you more choices. I had better luck with TJ's small golden potatoes than Whole foods for potatoes for salads.

Don't talk about looking for good potatoes for gnocchi or dumpling filling. Miss France or UK.

• Like 1

Fingerlings (there are many varieties) are good waxy potatoes here in the US.  They are sometimes available in supermarkets (depending on location), but should definitely be available at farmers markets.

• Like 1

Are SMALL Yukon Golds or similar or small red ones that inadequate? They are almost always available in 1-2 lb bags in most well-stocked supermarkets and cook up nicely waxy and firm, not at all powdery or mealy or fluffy – to my taste, anyway; and are even better (and waxier) after leaving them alone to cool and standing overnight.

As KennethT says, fingerlings are also good ones to use as firm, waxy potatoes, some denser than others some a little "fluffier" than others.

Speaking of which, I picked up more Ozette fingerlings just this morning from my local Farmers' Market (shown below). These are dense, excellent-tasting, nutty, creamy & waxy.

DSCN0901a_600.jpg

• Like 3

Has she tried Klondike Rose?

With the fingerlings, two that are probably easier to find (than Ozette) are Russian Banana and Rose Finn Apple, both of which are also firm, waxy, good tasting. There are others.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, huiray said:

Has she tried Klondike Rose?

With the fingerlings, two that are probably easier to find (than Ozette) are Russian Banana and Rose Finn Apple, both of which are also firm, waxy, good tasting. There are others.

2 hours ago, huiray said:

I really like Russian Banana. And Red Bliss and Yukon Gold are plenty firm if you are careful to not over cook them

You can also add a little vinegar to the cooking water to preserve the pectin and maintain firmness.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2