• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 8)

ElainaA

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Last night.

kebab800.jpg

Stuff on sticks.

Pork marinated in olive oil, lemon juice and zest, s+p  for 24 hours. Cherry tomatoes, red and yellow bell peppers, shallots. marinated in the same marinade for about an hour. Grilled. With rice and a green salad on the side.

I ate six sticks.

Beautiful photograph @liuzhou

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Husband coming home last Tuesday with BIL and SIL in tow for the Black Sabbath concert.  Thinly sliced chicken breast alla pizziola, spinach and ground bison meatballs(gluten and lactose free), salad, both bucatini and a rice linguine.  Ham and cheese and turkey sandwiches for after the concert on the drive home.

Went to heat up some of the meatballs for John yesterday for dinner but SURPRISE!!!! None to be found anywhere.  John then informed me that when they got back from the concert BIL AKA "The Cookie Monster" turned into an eating machine.  Seems he went through about a dozen and a half of the meatballs and wiped out 2 half containers of ice cream.

More bison thawing...now just need to get more spinach.

• Like 9

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Tonight.

First made a sort of a salad. Cherry tomatoes, yellow bell pepper, scallions, cape gooseberries and mint. Lemon and olive oil dressing was added later.

salad.jpg

Pan fried mackerel fillet. Served with couscous.

mackerel.jpg

I'm quite disappointed with the meal. The mackerel was not as fresh as it could have been. When I filleted it, I immediately noticed the flesh was a bit mushy. I bought it in a fish place I hadn't tried before and it looked OK at the time. Won't be going back there.

Also, wish I had some real English gooseberries. I love them, especially with mackerel, but haven't had any for about 30 years.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

21 hours ago, gfweb said:

Looks more like a NY strip  ; - )

Several years ago I was with some friends in Seattle. One of them ordered a NY strip steak. It was much bigger than any KC strip I'd ever seen.  

For all I know, this one might have been a Dodge City strip but it was definitely eaten in Kansas City. :)

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 4

A Porterhouse is a large T-bone. It is cut from the same part of the beef but higher up on the larger side.  If you cut the two sides off the bone, it is still a strip and tenderloin whether it is from a T-bone or Porterhouse end. :)

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

@Shelby

Please tell me you did. xD

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A couple of dinners from the past week.

Salad of cherry plum tomatoes, scallions, sirene cheese, hot green chili, olive oil, zaatar. Dollops of labaneh cheese on the side, with more zaatar. Eaten with soft warm pita breads to reap pieces from, make mini wraps and soak up juices.

20160813_122823.jpg20160813_122843.jpg

Purple cabbage, sauteed with onion, tart apples, caraway and parsley.

20160813_123403.jpg20160813_123411.jpg

Edited by shain
typo (log)
  • Like 20

~ Shai N.

Korean mushroom soup, shitake, oyster, white and brown shimeji and enoki mushrooms and beef soup

image.jpeg

Kahlua pork and cabbage 

image.jpeg

and three types of homemade kimchi, Napa cabbage, cubed radish and cucumber respectively 

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 18

On 8/25/2016 at 11:54 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Beautiful photograph @liuzhou

On 8/26/2016 at 8:33 AM, liuzhou said:

Tonight.

First made a sort of a salad. Cherry tomatoes, yellow bell pepper, scallions, cape gooseberries and mint. Lemon and olive oil dressing was added later.

salad.jpg

Pan fried mackerel fillet. Served with couscous.

mackerel.jpg

I'm quite disappointed with the meal. The mackerel was not as fresh as it could have been. When I filleted it, I immediately noticed the flesh was a bit mushy. I bought it in a fish place I hadn't tried before and it looked OK at the time. Won't be going back there.

Also, wish I had some real English gooseberries. I love them, especially with mackerel, but haven't had any for about 30 years.

I have noticed. Many beautiful plating recently.

dcarch

• Like 3

What I think of as Kitchen Sink Salmon cakes - because they seem to have everything else in them - red and green peppers, red onion, scallions, jalapeno, bread crumbs, mayo, mustard, egg, basil - the list is very long. They are very good but I rarely make them except when there is local sweet corn because the accompaniment is a fresh corn relish - also with lots of ingredients - corn kernels, chopped onion and garlic briefly simmered in a vinegar and sugar mixture then cooled and mixed with  chopped reed onion, green and red pepper, scallions and basil. This is from a torn out page from a 2002 Food and Wine (i think - the page doesn't name the magazine but i believe that is what I was getting then. Could be Bon Appetite.) Served with boiled small potatoes with parsley and butter and a salad.

DSC01590.jpg

• Like 20

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Tri-tip, cooked SV at 127F for 8 hours then seared with a torch.  Rubbed with a blend of salt, turbinado sugar and dill seeds.  Served with mashed cauliflower with chives, homemade wheat bread and salad.

tt826.jpg

• Like 15

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@mgaretz  

very very nice.    do you feel @ 6 H the TriTip was  tender to your liking ?

TT are hard to find in my area  ( BOS ) and having grown up in CA  I do understand their claim to fame.

for me  I can get nice  carefully trimmed whole  Sirloin "Tips" what re-Tips.

in your area  have you ever seen a Blade Roast ?  perf.  in sale ?

in spite of the central tendon on the blade roast. separating the two muscles , its

exceptionally flavorful   

if you ever see it    consider giving it a try.

Cheats cassoulet. Chicken drumsticks, Toulouse style sausages and pork belly all dusted in flour and browned in duck fat. Onions, garlic, celery, carrots and speck sautéed until soft. image.jpegTipped in a can of cannellini beans, tomato paste, chicken stock and a bouquet garni. 

Finished with fried fresh breadcrumbs.

With a rocket salad and toasted sourdough.

image.jpeg

• Like 21