Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 8)


ElainaA
 Share

Recommended Posts

Everyone's dinners look so good. As I have a sick one in the house recovering from a migraine, and cooking smells often bother her when she has "migraine tummy," I'm enjoying takeout from the local barbecue establishment. Particularly good as I did not have lunch today.

 

bbq.jpg

This is about half the chopped pork, and I'd already dug into the beans. Their slaw is only tolerable.

 

Beyond that, I've not been in the kitchen for a week, as I've been gone and then trying to catch up on work since I got back. Managed to clean up a week's worth of coffee cups and silverware, go to the grocery, and get a pork loin brined in cure to make Canadian bacon, earlier today. 

  • Like 15

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kayb said:

Everyone's dinners look so good. As I have a sick one in the house recovering from a migraine, and cooking smells often bother her when she has "migraine tummy," I'm enjoying takeout from the local barbecue establishment. Particularly good as I did not have lunch today.

 

bbq.jpg

This is about half the chopped pork, and I'd already dug into the beans. Their slaw is only tolerable.

 

Beyond that, I've not been in the kitchen for a week, as I've been gone and then trying to catch up on work since I got back. Managed to clean up a week's worth of coffee cups and silverware, go to the grocery, and get a pork loin brined in cure to make Canadian bacon, earlier today. 

Kay, I hope your patient gets well soon.

 

I'm very interested in your Canadian bacon method.  Have you posted it somewhere here before?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Kay, I hope your patient gets well soon.

 

I'm very interested in your Canadian bacon method.  Have you posted it somewhere here before?

No, because I've never done it before. It's the recipe/process from Ruhlman and Polcyn's "Charcuterie." Recipe's here. I put it in about noon today; I'll pull it from the brine Sunday, let it dry out in the fridge overnight, and smoke it on Monday.

  • Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, kayb said:

No, because I've never done it before. It's the recipe/process from Ruhlman and Polcyn's "Charcuterie." Recipe's here. I put it in about noon today; I'll pull it from the brine Sunday, let it dry out in the fridge overnight, and smoke it on Monday.

Ok thanks.  I have that book.  I look forward to seeing your results :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pulled out all the stops tonight. A 3-course dinner for one. 

 

image.jpeg

 

Dessert first. Peach clafoutis (details on the Air Fryer topic).

 

image.jpeg

 

Sous vide corn for mains. Corn, tablespoon or so of butter 83C x 30 minutes. Amazing. 

 

image.jpeg

 

Dessert after too!  Life can be so uncertain. More peach clafoutis with a drizzle of cream. 

  • Like 18

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Kay, I hope your patient gets well soon.

 

I'm very interested in your Canadian bacon method.  Have you posted it somewhere here before?

second that about your patient....

when Johnnybird was going through his treatment smells bothered him horribly....and sometimes something he could tolerate in the morning would not fly in the afternoon.  I used to eat a lot out of the house.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

 

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 spice pork medallions, minced pork scented with Chinese five spice then wrapped in beancurd skin, steamed and then fried. Also called Ngo Hiong or Kikiam in SE Asia depending on which country you're at lol. image.jpeg Traditionally accompanied by sweet chili dipping sauce and pickled radish and carrots. 

  • Like 22
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Wild_Yeast said:

5 spice pork medallions, minced pork scented with Chinese five spice then wrapped in beancurd skin, steamed and then fried. Also called Ngo Hiong or Kikiam in SE Asia depending on which country you're at lol. https://forums.egullet.org/uploads/monthly_2016_09/image.jpeg.b78852a596f21a7835c58babd088e0b6.jpeg  

Traditionally accompanied by sweet chili dipping sauce and pickled radish and carrots. 

 

Looks good.

I know it more as Loh Bak or Lor Bak (with Ngoh Hiang as an alternative which I would have to blink a bit about before summoning the image of the dish)(Technically, Ngoh Hiang literally means "five fragrance", alluding to the five spice powder used; while Loh/Lor Bak means "stewed (or braised) meat")

Have you done this with the more traditional (Penang Nyonya) thin narrow strips of loin pork rather than minced pork?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

S-i-l brought me a lovely piece of pork belly with skin on! Made my first siu yook a la TP's method. TP is a member (from Malaysia) of this forum but hasn't been posting either?
Her method was simple: dry the meat well, poke holes on the ski, rub with baking soda, and roast in the oven. Broil for a few minutes at the end, and voila!
Next time, I need to lower the roasting temp and increase the roasting time. It would have produced a more tender pork, but overall, VERY happy!
1 Siu Yook2479.jpg2 Siu Yook Slabs2477.jpg

 

Ziplock Bag Strawberry Ice-cream0004.jpg

 

For dessert, I made Ziplock Bag Ice-Cream with fresh strawberries/ Added salted almonds 'cos I love salty, sweet, and crunchy together.:)

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 20

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

@sartoric 

 

how do you do your C.S. ?  and what cut do you use ?

 

looks just like something from Chinatown , BOS.

 

I use pork belly rashers cut to fit in a ziplock bag, with Lee Kum Kee char siu sauce, a crushed clove of garlic, soy and oyster sauce.  These guys had been in the freezer a few weeks. I cook them in a 200 C oven on a rack over water, basting a few times, for about an hour :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Impending nasty weather, so cooking indoors this weekend. Made another batch of Bittman's corn chowder (to be eaten tomorrow) this time with 5 ears instead of 4 and it was markedly better. Bought a steamed lobster and picked the meat to use as garnish. Sending summer off in style. Mexican zucchini casserole for dinner, it was supposed to be stuffed zucchini but I decided to slice them into planks instead. Corn, brown rice, black beans, salsa...topped with shredded cheese and baked. Zukes exuded a LOT of water, that was the only negative.

  • Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, huiray said:

 

Looks good.

I know it more as Loh Bak or Lor Bak (with Ngoh Hiang as an alternative which I would have to blink a bit about before summoning the image of the dish)(Technically, Ngoh Hiang literally means "five fragrance", alluding to the five spice powder used; while Loh/Lor Bak means "stewed (or braised) meat")

Have you done this with the more traditional (Penang Nyonya) thin narrow strips of loin pork rather than minced pork?

Thank huiray, I've made it both ways. The strips of pork loin was the original recipe, but the lack of fat in the loin sometimes makes it seem dry. So I've tweaked it using lean pork shoulder butt that I've chopped into small cubes while semi frozen and ground fatty pork with a ratio of 2:1 respectively. My customers prefer this over the original recipe, since then I've stuck to this recipe.  I pack them in rolls of 6, but there's always extra, so that becomes a quick dinner. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dinner tonight was knoshing a bit of BBQ prepped for Labor Day.  A choice beef brisket that was kind of like me - thick through the mid section.  The point and unusually plump mid-section lead to a very moist flat.  

 

rP1050056.jpg

 

rP1050068.jpg

 

rP1050080.jpg

 

 

Dinner a few nights ago was eggplant and okra (!) Parmesan.  

 

RP1050051.jpg

rP1050052.jpg

 

 

 

  • Like 21
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Star of the show for me--okra.  

 

Yesterday, I was in the market and saw some red okra. Like an idiot, I didn't buy it. The vendor wasn't there today.

I know it turns green when cooked, but it would have made a nice photograph. Hope she comes back some day.

  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...