• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 8)

ElainaA

Host's note: this topic is divided into multiple segments to reduce the load on our servers; the previous installment is here: Dinner 2016 (Part 7).

I owe parts of both these dinners to various postings here - thanks to you all!

Hamburgers with hamburger relish from the recipe linked to by @FauxPas, local corn microwaved, thanks to several posts here (this is a timely technique - our drought level has just been raised to 'extreme') and, in the background, the requisite tomato and cucumber salad. We really, REALLY liked the relish- and it is supposed to be better in 3 months.

DSC01547.jpg

A grilled shoulder lamb chop with Julia Child's mustard marinade, the potato and zucchini torte that was also linked to here a while ago ( I just looked up the link and see it was again @FauxPas:D) and, of course, a plate of cukes and tomatoes.

DSC01544.jpgDSC01545.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 19

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

2 minutes ago, ElainaA said:

Hamburgers with hamburger relish from the recipe linked to by @FauxPas, local corn microwaved, thanks to several posts here (this is a timely technique - our drought level has just been raised to 'extreme') and, in the background, the requisite tomato and cucumber salad. We really, REALLY liked the relish- and it is supposed to be better in 3 months.

I'm really pleased that this relish turned out so well for you! We really like it, also. :P   (Sometimes, I choose to interpret this emoji as 'licking one's "chops".' Why don't we have a built-in emoji for that useful expression???  Ha. 

We missed the old Bick's red relish until this one came into our lives, and now I always want to make my own. Do you remember which recipe you used? Was it the Canadian Living one (without the cauliflower)? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I'm really pleased that this relish turned out so well for you! We really like it, also. :P   (Sometimes, I choose to interpret this emoji as 'licking one's "chops".' Why don't we have a built-in emoji for that useful expression???  Ha. 

We missed the old Bick's red relish until this one came into our lives, and now I always want to make my own. Do you remember which recipe you used? Was it the Canadian Living one (without the cauliflower)? 

It was the Canadian Living one - I had all the ingredients for that (and I don't grow cauliflower). Having no experience with Bick's relish I can't compare - but this one is definitely a keeper.

And I now realize I have to thank you for the Summer Squash and Potato torte recipe also!

• Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Made the trek up to Brighton in Northumberland County yesterday to demo my EZtemper to a chocolatier there. After business was concluded she invited me to dinner at Dougalls on the Bay. Lovely weather, lovely view! It's a pleasure to eat outside at a restaurant where it is quiet. Somehow tables outside on a busy street just aren't the same!

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2949.jpg

• Like 23

Chicken with sage wrapped in prosciutto on a creamy potato puree. Served with mushrooms sautéed with garlic and thyme, plus a rocket salad from the garden.

More pics on the "create my meal" thread.

image.jpeg

• Like 19

Local Maryland rockfish with tomato rice made in CSO.  Fish was mostly cooked on the skin side with a little kiss of the heat on the flesh side.  DH who usually gives me his share of fish skin ate iit this time which is the greatest compliment he can give as a cook but is also a bummer since I did not get any extra skin this time.

image.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 25

I told my husband that dinner tonight was going to be an experiment. I had a couple of leftover grilled chicken thighs, some button mushrooms that needed to be used, a rice cooker and a craving, so I did an internet search for rice cooker risotto and discovered a Wolfgang Puck recipe for Mushroom Risotto. I used his recipe for guidance. My husband said I could make this again!

image.jpeg

"Rice Cooker" Grilled Chicken and Mushroom Risotto

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 19

On 8/19/2016 at 9:34 PM, huiray said:

Linguine with smoked salmon belly.

DSCN0752a_600.jpg

Linguine was Rustichella d'Abruzzo stuff.

Most of the ingredients:

Salina salted capers [Mongetto] being soaked, lemon juice, smoked salmon bellies [Wild Alaska Salmon & Seafood] stripped of skin & fins & picked over, lemon zest.  Cocozelle zucchini [Full Hand Farm], garlic (Siberian Red), parsley [my deck], Vidalia onion, Japanese Black Trifele tomatoes [Fields Farm Fresh].  Sage & thyme [my deck].

DSCN0740a_400.jpgDSCN0745a_400.jpg

DSCN0749a_400.jpg

That is one beautiful dish.  

• Like 6

We had BBQ shrimp the other night and had some left-overs.  Thinking ahead to the next meal I tired to extract that last little bit of goodness from the shrimp heads.  I have a juicer that I inherited from my mom  and I used it to squeeze the fat emulsion from the carapace.  Definitely liquid gold. 

rP1040967.jpg

rP1040973.jpg

More seafood last night.  A southern fritto misto.  Shrimp, oysters, squash, and vidalia onions.

rP1040980.jpg

rP1040990.jpg

• Like 21

4 hours ago, robirdstx said:

I told my husband that dinner tonight was going to be an experiment. I had a couple of leftover grilled chicken thighs, some button mushrooms that needed to be used, a rice cooker and a craving, so I did an internet search for rice cooker risotto and discovered a Wolfgang Puck recipe for Mushroom Risotto. I used his recipe for guidance. My husband said I could make this again!

I just read that recipe and it's going onto my to do list. Thanks. All I got to do now is get some risotto rice.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Hiyayakko.

DSCN0769a_600.jpg

Cold soft tofu, grated daikon, katsuobushi, scallions; mixture of Takara hon-mirin, Higeta Honzen soy sauce, water, and hon-dashi granules zapped in the microwave then cooled before pouring around the tofu.

Lotus root soup.

DSCN0775a_600.jpg

Water, sliced fresh lotus root, black jujubes, honey jujubes, dried sliced Solomon's Seal rhizome, dried goji berries, dried longan flesh, raw peanuts, couple of dried cuttlefish, sea salt, oil.

• Like 11

22 hours ago, ninagluck said:

thank you Okanagancook, I had the lamb for 1,5 h at 58°C under water and for me it was perfect

Tried sous-vide lamb for the first time on Friday (pics to come) and 60 degrees was a bit too much. Nice to get the corroboration. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ninagluck said:

it was raining all day, so I needed some comfort food. potato salad, pimped with rocket, hardboiled egg and some crispy speck

IMG_2122.JPG

Another stunning plate.  At first I thought the mini potatoes were grapes.

10 hours ago, huiray said:

Hiyayakko.

DSCN0769a_600.jpg

Cold soft tofu, grated daikon, katsuobushi, scallions; mixture of Takara hon-mirin, Higeta Honzen soy sauce, water, and hon-dashi granules zapped in the microwave then cooled before pouring around the tofu.

That looks so good! I love tofu in a broth like that. Sounds like a great hot-weather dinner.

Roast pork loin in apple/balsamic glaze with baked apples, sauteed yellow squash and onions, and cucumber salad.

pork loin and apples.jpg

Pork slow-roasted in the CSO, 300F steam bake for an hour. Too done. Won't do that again.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Yesterday I made briami, which is a dish that I really like.

20160805_141434.jpg20160805_141451.jpg20160805_141457.jpg

A Greek dish, it's simply baked vegetables, but when making it you bake all the regular "rules " for grilling veggies - everything is mixed and baked closely together, so the vegetables are all quite soft, the flavors join together, and the plate is lines with a thin layer of delicious juices and olive oil.

The vegetables used are eggplants, tomatoes, peppers, onion, potatoes, okra, green beans, and my nontraditional addition of sweet potato. Everything is flavored, with oregano, cumin, anis seeds, fennel seeds, chili, plenty of dill, parsley and black pepper. Drizzled generously with olive oil, and baked until softened. Then topped with some feta cheese and broiled until it is all browned and charred on top (after taking those photos, I've decided to put it back from further browning).

Lemon juice an more fresh herbs to finish, then everything is eaten with a good crusty bread, which you let soak all of the juices. 

• Like 17

~ Shai N.