• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 8)

ElainaA

I use Dorot's  ( at TJ's ) frozen garlic and basil with my pasta dishes        I forgot for my first  tomato / linguini dish above

Ive mentioned that in the TJ's thread.   I love the stuff.    garlic is very constant in flavor as is the basil :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/151391-trader-joes-products-2015–/?page=15

scroll down to the bottom.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

@liuzhou,

Your fiddleheads do not resemble anything that I would consider fiddleheads.  I only mean that I would not recognize them as fiddleheads,not they are not, but they are different from what I see here.   That still sounds rude but it's not meant to be.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Just pizza tonight. Italian sausage and caramelized onions

Oh, and red wine.

That's not "just" pizza - that's PIZZA - and a beautiful specimen too. :D

• Like 4

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Thanks.  AnnT's pizza dough recipe:  63% hydration; 2 g yeast for 500 g flour; a little salt.  Mix water and yeast and let sit 10 minutes.  Mix into flour.  Knead. In the fridge overnight.  Out of fridge 1 hour before making.  Pizza metal plate preheated one hour on highest oven setting.  Bake pizza for five minutes then switch to broil until nice and brown on top.  Not too much topping.  Red wine.

Thanks AnnT

• Like 3

On September 14, 2016 at 1:11 PM, huiray said:

Soup & Salad.

Tomato soup.

DSCN1128a_600.jpg

EV olive oil, chopped-up onion, chopped-up celery, tomato flesh w/ juices, sea salt, water, fresh basil, simmer, break up w/ a stick blender, simmer.

Served w/ a generous dollop of basil pesto & basil sprigs.

That soup looks really delicious.  I love tomato soup.

Last night was clean out the fridge sandwich night.  For my husband, the leftover steak from Saturday with baby spinach, parmesan cheese, and truffle butter

steakwich.jpg

For me, the Thai-flavored omelet banh mi sandwich from Andrea Ngyuen's book

thai omelet.jpg

• Like 13

I  had left overs of dinner from last night.   Braised cubes of lamb shoulder seasoned with Greek oregano, onions and garlic, yogurt and lamb stock.  Riced added as it was cooking down.  Simple stuff that I find very tasty and comforting.  Left overs tonight got more yogurt on top to moisten and give it that bright kick and some mint from the garden

image.jpeg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhou,

Your fiddleheads do not resemble anything that I would consider fiddleheads.  I only mean that I would not recognize them as fiddleheads,not they are not, but they are different from what I see here.   That still sounds rude but it's not meant to be.

I didn't find your comment rude in the slightest.

Let me clarify. I am guessing you consider these to be fiddleheads (and I would agree).

fiddleheads.jpg

What is pictured in my post is the stems of the same plant. Brake or bracken are alternative names.

fiddleheads.jpg

Here is another dish of the stems as a sort of salad.

Fiddlehead Salad.jpg

I should have been more clear and captioned my picture as "fiddlehead stems", "brake" or "bracken", but followed the translation which was on the restaurant's  bi-lingual menu. . Apologies.

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Lovely meals everyone. This thread is such an inspiration/aspiration to me.

We had one my husband's favorites tonight: kielbasa sausage. I don't like it nearly as much as he does, but not to worry, I had plenty of other dishes to enjoy. We had the rest of that old-fashioned crookneck yellow squash casserole, and it was even better after melding in the fridge for a couple days. I also roasted nectarines in a little olive oil, and made sure it was a whole one each this time, as a mere half leaves me wanting another. I boiled a little fresh broccoli in plenty of water too.

Much later, as in second meal of the day later, I had a large serving of homemade banana pudding, more commonly known around these parts as nanner puddin'. :)

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

@liuzhou

I wondered if that was the explanation, i.e., that they were the stems of the same (or similar) plant.   Thank you for clearing that up.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

First dinner for Johnnybird last night was rice noodles with steamed veg, some thinly sliced duck breast and some hoisin sauce.   Second dinner was an avocado and some chicken salad.

Mine was a reheated burger - nacked - and a salad of tomatoes sent from John's friend, some basil and parsley, ricotta salata and a basalmic vinaigrette.

Dinner tonight will be roasted chicken sausages with red pepper, onions and red sauce over some sort of pasta.

Smooch made for John to take with him for the weekend.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I really don't know why I do these things. I know they are going to be bad, but I have to check.

Lately, a number of the local supermarkets have been stocking these vacuum packed and frozen "steaks" in boxes. Sirloin, fillet etc.

box.jpg

Now, please remember, this is not a country that does steaks. Anyway, like a fool I pick one up. That one!

I open the package to find

contents.jpg

A round meaty looking thing, a portion of unsalted butter and a sachet of the dreaded pepper sauce. China is convinced that it is morally reprehensible, sacrilegious and medically dangerous to eat any kind of western food without smothering it in badly cooked black pepper sauce. My sachet goes straight into the waste bin.

Closer inspection of the round thing reveals that it resembles a form of beef, cut from a badly deformed example of a bovine.

steak.jpg

It certainly looks like no sirloin steak I've ever seen before. But undaunted I press on. I prepare some chips (fries), some shiitake mushrooms etc and set to cooking. The steak is so thin it is cooked almost as soon as it sees the pan. But I manage to get it to the degree of pinkness I prefer.

dinner.jpg

Dinner is served. The beef is incredible, but not in a good way. It looks beefy if somewhat anorexic, yet manages to taste of absolutely nothing. It also has a peculiar mealy texture. It is inoffensive but takes bland to a whole new low.

Never again (he says again!)

Host's note: this ever-popular topic has again grown too large for our servers to handle efficiently; the next installment may be found here: Dinner 2016 (Part 9)

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto