• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 8)

ElainaA

2 hours ago, sartoric said:

@rotuts, thank you, and down under is perfectly okay.

I have a self imposed ban on new kitchen equipment, too much stuff in there already. Although, the anova has been tempting me lately :)

I'd have an Anova just to defrost stuff from the freezer in half the time.  The fact it can cook food is a plus ;)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Sorry, rotuts, that's the wrong one.  The right one has "crisp" in the title.

Better?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've made this several times and we always like it. It's a small chuck roast with Cuban seasoning,  grilled like a big thick steak with chimichurri sauce on the side, tossed salad and bolillo rolls.

DSCN3740.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 11

WOW. I look away for just a couple of days and I'm 4 pages behind! What amazing meals. Life has been very busy here but I do take pictures.

On Satueday we spent the day at a (relatively - an hour drive. When you live out in the country that is "relatively near") art and music festival. (Colorscape , at Norwich, NY - if you live anywhere near I recommend it.) 

After a sun soaked day I didn't want to cook so dinner was left overs and stuff hanging around.  Some left over steak, a few spears of left over asparagus, the usual tomatoes ( I have about a bushel on the kitchen counter) with some cucumbers and some potatoes that I boiled and tossed with a vinaigrette. Bitter greens (endive and chicory and some fennel) from the garden.

DSC01652.jpg

Monday: slow roasted cherry tomato sauce with penne. Probably the last of this year as the cherry tomatoes are almost done. i guess I could make this with purchased cherry tomatoes but I never have.

DSC01653.jpg

Tonight- Grilled lamb tossed with a dressing of pureed tomatoes, roasted mustard seeds, ginger, basil and a little vinegar (the vinegar was not in the recipe but I thought it was needed) over bitter greens, roasted potatoes and a tomato and cucumber salad.

DSC01654.jpg

If you notice that Sunday is missing - we went out for pizza. Our favorite local place where somehow everyone there (and the place was full) connected somehow to each other. That's Cortland.

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 17

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

image.jpeg

Two tiny pieces of sirloin with a side of carrot and pea sabzi. 

• Like 17

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Chicken cooked with masala sambar blend from WorldSpice, homemade preserved kumquat  and onion.  Served over rice with carrots, peas and a dab of mixed pickle and sour cream since we were a little short in the raita department.   Not even close in the authentic department but quite tasty.

rP1050096.jpg

• Like 12

cooler weather , time for the pasta :

Mise pasta.jpg

you remember the FastaPasta ?   its on the R    the bacon is Benton's

http://shop.bentonscountryham.com

and there is a beaten egg missing that goes on the hot pasta for some silky mouth feel

bacon.jpg

bacon crisped.   I use about 1/2 of the bacon fat and save the rest.  Benton's bacon is very smoky   

Pasta.jpg

• Like 21

@rotuts

That looks delicious and I love the way you  plated it.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

back when I grew my own tomatoes  , as soon as the EarlyGirls were ripe   I had this dish more often than not all summer long.

never got tired of it.   these tomatoes are  " on the vine '  but ripened a bit at home in a brown paper bag w a few apples in that bag.

didn't have the FastaPasta then though.  big fan of the FP.

• Like 3

@rotuts  I agree with Anna - really delicious looking. Hmmm - I just bought a package of bacon, I still have LOTS of tomatoes and the scallions are just about ready.........

• Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Sous vide lamb loin; grits from the IP; reduced lamb stock/wine/sauce (too much of it) and tomato/green beans/garlic and sauted button mushrooms drizzled with some lemon juice and truffle oil at the end.

The grits took 15 minutes HP with Natural Release.  Cooked in a bowl.  Could have done with another 5 minutes I think.

DSC01658.jpg

• Like 17

Soup & Salad.

Tomato soup.

DSCN1128a_600.jpg

EV olive oil, chopped-up onion, chopped-up celery, tomato flesh w/ juices, sea salt, water, fresh basil, simmer, break up w/ a stick blender, simmer.

Served w/ a generous dollop of basil pesto & basil sprigs.

On the way there: tomatoes [Van Antwerp Farm] after de-skinning and de-seeding.

DSCN1107a_500.jpg

Salad.

DSCN1129a_600.jpg

Red-leaf lettuce hearts, cooked (fresh) soybeans; sugar snap peas & peeled baby potatoes both just-barely cooked (separately, though) in salted simmering water; golden beets cooked to crunchy tenderness & de-skinned; hard-boiled eggs; chopped parsley.

ETA: ...and sliced wong nga pak (Napa cabbage) leaves.

Vinaigrette made w/ whole-grain Dijon mustard [Maille], EV olive oil [Alziari], Agrodolce Bianco Delizia Estense, Maldon salt, turbinado sugar.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 15

image.jpeg

Lamb mince over a baked potato. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

It's been a crazy few days, getting ready for new students for this fall term! Our university is not huge, and the English program I teach in with international students (prepping for regular classes) usually runs about 45 students. This term, we have 80! Took a lot of time doing placement tests, placing them into various levels and classes, setting up timetables, finding extra classrooms, scouting for more teachers. BUT, one must still eat! Here are a few of the meals:
First time making low-carb Beef Bourguignon. Turned out quite good!
Beef Bourguignon0002.jpg

One of our favourites: Thai Lemongrass Salmon in Foil.

Lemongrass Salmon0005.jpg

Caramelized Onion & Bacon Pork Chop with No Pasta Mac'n'Cheese

Caramelized Onion Bacon Pork Chops0003.jpg

Chicken Cordon Bleu

Chicken Cordon Bleu0001.jpg

Trying to find different ways to have cauliflower. We DO like the "mock fried rice" and faux mashed taters"
Cauli Fried Rice0006.jpg

• Like 19

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Just me for dinner tonight, so I made a sirloin steak SV (127F for 1 hour from frozen), seared with a torch then seasoned with salt, pepper and dill seeds.  Served with white corn on the cob, salad and a few glasses of Old Soul Old Vine 2013 Zinfandel.

sirloin-corn.jpg

• Like 12

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Today, especially tonight, China celebrates Mid-Autumn Festival (中秋节). For most people, this is a stay-at-home event, so my dear friend and I went out! The restaurants were relatively quiet. Here is what the two of us ate.

bread salad.jpg

This was described on the menu as 'bread salad'. It was basically just croutons with a bit of lettuce, tomato, red onion and cucumber,. No dressing, but a dip on the side.

roast pigeon.jpg

Roast Pigeon

char siu.jpg

Char Siu

fiddleheads.jpg

Fiddleheads

foie gras.jpg

Foie Gras

nasi.jpg

Nasi Goreng

And, it being Mid-Autumn Festival, she brought me a mooncake. This is happily admitted someone else had given to her, but she thought its origins it might amuse me. Very traditional Chinese cake!

mooncake.jpg

• Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I have been at the bottom of a landslide of work and (work-related) travel for two weeks, and just climbed out today with a visit to catch up on two weeks of the Dinner thread. Too many lovely dinners to mention, although Shelby's teal breasts and livers are calling my name.

I have cooked exactly once in two weeks; that was eggplant lasagna, with sliced eggplant in place of pasta. Very good, if not overly attractive.

eggplant parm.jpg

And as the business travel took me to Dallas, I splurged on an Al Biernat steak. Filet, medium rare, sweet potato puree, potatos au gratin and asparagus lingering in the background, half a bottle of Orin Swift "Prisoner" red blend. Best dinner I've had in ages.

steak 0913.jpg

A friend and I split the 12-oz filet, and the resulting serving was just about perfect.

• Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com