• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 8)

ElainaA

2 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I have had my mandolin for quite a few years and have only slightly cut myself once.  The key is your UNDIVIDED ATTENTION !  I also use a small bar towel to put on top of the object being sliced if it is large, like potatoes when slicing for frites.  I love my mandolin.  I just picked the last of the zucchini so will make your sala for lunch tomorrow.  Thanks for sharing.

Good idea about the towel.  Adopting that for next time.  You will love the salad....just let it sit for a bit...I let mine sit for about an hour and drain it along the way.  I think I drain 2-3 times.

• Like 2

@Steve Irby I would love to have your dinner at the moment!  Would that I could find skin-on boneless thighs to purchase.  I can scarcely get thighs with skin attached in any form -- save when buying a whole chicken.

Do you bone the thighs yourself or does your store sell them deboned that way?

My actual dinner tonight is a @Wolfert lamb tagine with spinach, lemons, and olives, served with her beet and cinnamon salad.  Since these are Paula Wolfert recipes I expect to sit down to the table around 1:00 am.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Earlier in the day...

Soft boiled eggs.

DSCN1103a_500.jpg

Drunk straight from the bowl. Slurp, chew, gulp.

Then...

Boiled edamame w/ Maldon salt.

DSCN1105a_500.jpg

Later on...

Chinese take-out from a local place.**

Hot & sour soup. Added some chopped scallions.

DSCN1116b_600.jpg

Quite good, actually.

General Tso's Chicken (左宗棠雞; Jyutping zo2 zung1 tong4 gai1). With rice.

DSCN1119a_600.jpg

There was more of both. :-) 

**ETA: From this place.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 15

I came back from the grocery store with some deli roast beef that I made cold subs out of that night. The beef was, to put it kindly, disappointing. I hate wasting food, so a couple days later tried to rescue the second half pound by making a cheese steak of sorts. First I caramelized onions, and cremini mushrooms, removed from the pan, and added in the beef which I had cut into strips about an inch and a half long by a quarter inch wide. I added garlic powder, black pepper, a little soy sauce, and a little Worcestershire sauce and stir fried over high heat very briefly. I piled the meat and veggies into deli French bread that had been hollowed out some in the middle and then grilled. I topped it with provolone cheese and popped into the hot oven for a few minutes and served alongside cantaloupe.

These were far from the best cheese steaks I've ever had or made, but let me tell you, they were a lot better than the first time out with the sad beef.

The next night we had hot Italian sausage with onions and peppers. The original plan was to serve it on buns, but I was getting tired of sandwiches and didn't want pasta either. I just served the sauteed veggies over the browned and beer braised sausage. The star of this meal to the point that I had to rack my brain to recall the protein I served with it yesterday, was a yellow crookneck squash casserole. It's an old-fashioned one with caramelized onions, canned cream of mushroom soup, mayonnaise, and topped with a layer of cheddar cheese. The recipe given to me by an elderly church lady called for a whole cup of mayo and Stove Top stuffing on top of the casserole. I liked her version enough to ask for the recipe, but I'm not putting a cup of mayo in anything unless I am serving a small army. I also used some of the French bread cubes and crumbs with melted butter, Knorr Caldo con sabor de Pollo chicken bouillon powder, parsley and sage instead of the Stove Top. This was really, really good. I think we had more cantaloupe, banana, muscadine grapes and garden tomatoes, but again, my memory is focused on the squash casserole.

Tonight was a broiled pork blade steak with rosemary, salt and black pepper, baked sweet potatoes served in their split jacket with butter and salt, and I made two stir fry veggie side dishes. I caramelized some onion in butter first to split between the two dishes, and removed half from the pan to reserve for the second dish. Then, to the onion still in the hot pan, I added white corn that had been cut off its cob and some diced red bell pepper along with mo buttah. All this needed was a little salt. When that was done, I plated it on the plates I had heating on the hot stove top, which gets really hot when the top element electric broiler is going.

I rinsed and wiped out the same skillet, added a little oil, and stir fried some thin sliced cremini mushrooms until they gave up their moisture and began to brown. Then I threw in about a quart of counter grown mung bean sprouts, the reserved onion, a half teaspoon of brown sugar, a little splash of white wine, a bigger splash of soy sauce and some black pepper. I stir fried like crazy for just a minute or two, and plated this.

As usual, in my rush to get hot food to the table the garnish of toasted sesame oil was added to the bean sprout dish at the table, and I had temporarily forgotten the small but very flavorful sliced garden tomato on the cutting board on the counter.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

Happy shopping this morning. I needed rice and, after being unavailable of several months, my favourite brand of Thai hom mali rice was back in stock. 10kg was lugged home. That'll last me about a year. 

I also picked up some chicken legs (bone-in and skin-on as ever) and a few other essentials.

Dinner: Chicken legs (I skinned them first - I hate skin unless it is crisply roasted) braised with shallots, garlic, chilli pepper, black olives, lemon juice and zest and a shed-load of coriander leaf/cilantro. Served with afore-mentioned rice.

dinner1.jpg

(The Thermapen wasn't used with this dish. I was baking bread at the same time.)

dinner2.jpg

Followed by reheated peach crumble I made earlier in the day.

crumble.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Steve Irby I would love to have your dinner at the moment!  Would that I could find skin-on boneless thighs to purchase.  I can scarcely get thighs with skin attached in any form -- save when buying a whole chicken.

Do you bone the thighs yourself or does your store sell them deboned that way?

My actual dinner tonight is a @Wolfert lamb tagine with spinach, lemons, and olives, served with her beet and cinnamon salad.  Since these are Paula Wolfert recipes I expect to sit down to the table around 1:00 am.

I debone the thighs myself.  I usually pay between $0.99 to $1.09 # for thighs versus $2.50 for skinless.  The skin gets nuked for cracklings and fat gets used for matzo balls, confit, top dressing for the dogs, etc.  I vacuum bag the bones and freeze until  I accumulate enough for stock.  A  little trick that I saw on a food program years ago was to make a quick slit length wise along the back of the thigh  then pinch the meat away from the bone in the center.   You then slice/scrap toward the either end.  

• Like 6

Tried our a new recipe last night  called "Chicken with Chanterelles, Raspberries,  Laliberté cheese and Lemon Thyme".  After the chicken was cooked, it was sliced into three pieces and the cheese inserted between them.  Didn't have raspberries for the garnish so used strawberries.  Served with potatoes mashed with sour cream and chives, carrots and a cucumber and tomato salad.

20160912_201431.jpg

• Like 14

@sartoric  

I enjoy all yours posts.  not just because your DownUnder  [ed.:  Ok to say that ? ]

and your dishes are a bit out of sink  ( sic ) for up up here ....

they just look so tasty   

now that Ive buttered you Up  ..

you probably see the Breville folks  " At the Club "  etc

next time you have a drink with them     

and they get a bit Lubed      ask them why they don't have a SteamOven

1/4 sheet pan +   60 % higher    for   lets drop the price a bit  :  $ 349  USD  ( 20 % off w BB$B's coupon )

just asking ....

• Like 1

I did see the other day that Breville has come out with something called the Breville Quick Touch Crisp Microwave.  In addition to the microwave functions,  it will also crisp and brown foods such as pizza.  List price $600 Canadian.

• Like 2