• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 8)

ElainaA

Hubby, visiting houseguest and I just got back from the bars and got peckish. I guess you can consider this dinner again lol. Pork and cabbage dumplings(above), Chiuchow style dumplings, pork, peanuts, mushroom and Chinese celery. image.jpeg

• Like 24

Ligurian-type-inspired pasta w/ pesto.

DSCN1085a_600.jpg

Fresh basil pesto made w/ a French-Italian inflection (basil, garlic (Music), pine nuts, Pecorino Romano, Parmigiana Reggiano, Maussane-les-Alpilles olive oil, plus some Arbequina olive oil). French filet beans (both yellow & green) cooked in simmering salted water. Ozette fingerlings cooked similarly. Torcetti pasta [The Fresh Market] cooked in the same pot of water. All assembled & tossed in large bowl. Plated, dressed w/ fresh basil & additional Parmigiano Reggiano.

• Like 17

Teal season opened yesterday.  A big group of guys went.  I think they got around 40 of them....Ronnie brought home 3.  If these would have been mallards or anything other than teal, I bet we'd have a lot more lol.  Everyone loves teal.  Very mild...like a rich steak.  I SV'd these at 125F for about an hour and then seared.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.JPG

• Like 26

Rosemary sage and garlic chicken, sage potatoes cooked in an

aluminum foil package on the grill and a fresh salad with vinaigrette.

sage chicken.png

We are staying in an agriturismo in Tuscany. We have been here before. It is very pleasant.

One of the things I discovered the second night of our first visit, is the rosemary and sage plantings by the pool.

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPGIMG_0006.JPG

I like to infuse olive oil with a combination of those two and some garlic to use as a marinade. Yesterday it was for chicken, which I cooked on the charcoal grill last night.

We ate outside and the lighting was poor. We were both hungry, so I didn't mess around with the camera.

HC

• Like 23

3 Pizzas:

Spicy tomato sauce with chili, oregano and thyme, aged mozzarella, creamy goat cheese, cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives.

DSCF5253.JPGDSCF5252.JPG

I ran out of semolina, so I had to use more flour for rolling the dough, as a result I overly dusted the first pie, hence the pale color.
Also, I sprinkled salt over the rim of all 3 pizzas.

Pesto, ricotta (big chunks, lightly salted), mozzarella (diced), cherry tomatoes, black pepper.

DSCF5260.JPGDSCF5259.JPGDSCF5258.JPG

Ricotta, mozzarella (mixed, sprinkled with sea salt), figs, a little anise and fennel seeds, black pepper (also a few chopped basil leaves that wilted and lost all flavor...)

DSCF5268.JPGDSCF5269.JPG

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 21

~ Shai N.

A stew of chicken sausage, summer squash, tomatoes, and spinach, with garlic and tomato rubbed bread

sausage stew.jpg

Yesterday my niece tried her hand at making sushi.  It came out a little messy but not too bad for a first attempt

sushi.jpg

The carnivores dined on grilled Pat LaFrieda ribeyes, cooked to a perfect medium rare

steak.jpg

• Like 23

image.jpegx

Vegetarian mushroom "stroganoff". A little parsley would've been nice. 

• Like 22

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Those mushers look lovely.  It is hard to find button mushrooms but yesterday I scored some from a very unlikely source, our local 'Club' store.  Simply fried in a hot, hot pan with thyme, pepper, butter and finished with Maderia and lemon juice!  Yum.  Ours were on pasta but as a side for our steak.

• Like 5

That stroganoff looks so good, Anna.  I've been craving that for a while but every time I think I want to make it, I'm out of mushrooms...or sour cream...or both ( I like the version with sour cream in it).

• Like 3

I hosted my niece's 15th birthday celebration this afternoon.  I was not able to get pictures of everything but we had an Italian-esque spread.  Antipasto of meats, cheeses, and two types of frittata. One is peppers and basil. the other is made out of the leftover sausage-spinach stew from the other day.  All meats, olives, and cheeses and are from Salumeria Italiana in Boston's North End.

antipasto.jpg

A caprese salad

caprese.jpg

I also made bruschetta, meatballs, and there was a big platter of burrata with good olive oil and maldon salt since my niece loves that.

A very non-Italian, non-cake birthday dessert, chosen by my niece, blueberry pie.  My sister baked this, as my pie crust is abominably bad.

blueberry pie.jpg

• Like 26

General Tso's Chicken with Steamed Rice and a Side Salad

I had never had General Tso's Chicken before, so can not compare it, but I found the breading to be very heavy and the sauce quite bland. My husband said it was okay and ate it, but I don't think I will go to the trouble to make it again.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 17

24 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

General Tso's Chicken with Steamed Rice and a Side Salad

I had never had General Tso's Chicken before, so can not compare it, but I found the breading to be very heavy and the sauce quite bland. My husband said it was okay and ate it, but I don't think I will go to the trouble to make it again.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Whatever it tasted like @robirdstx it sure looks lovely!  I wish I had some at the moment.

I can't imagine anyone not having had General Tso's chicken unless perhaps they live in China.  Some years ago when I was in business my company had a customer in Texas whose name was Tso.  He always complained that people mispronounced his and the good general's name.

For some reason I am tired of red meat at the moment and my dinner (after the peanuts) is about to be a mess of RG  pinquitos beans.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have strong opinions about Gen Tso. Most have too thick breading and are kind of gross.

Having said that , I love a Gen Tso that 's made well.

To me . the Ideal General is not as crusty as Col Sanders, but is lightly floured, cooked fast , and lightly sauced.

Not in a deep fryer but in a wok.

And needs more soy than the time-honored Gen T allows.

Yes, I know it isn't authentic chinese. Neither is chicken tikka masala indian.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Whatever it tasted like @robirdstx it sure looks lovely!  I wish I had some at the moment.

I can't imagine anyone not having had General Tso's chicken unless perhaps they live in China.  Some years ago when I was in business my company had a customer in Texas whose name was Tso.  He always complained that people mispronounced his and the good general's name.

For some reason I am tired of red meat at the moment and my dinner (after the peanuts) is about to be a mess of RG  pinquitos beans.

I've never had General Tso's chicken, and I don't live in China....Agree that it looks great :)

How do you pronounce Tso ?

• Like 3