• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 8)

ElainaA

1 hour ago, Mmmpomps said:

I can't remember what our waitress said the meat was!

Mortadella?

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

The curry plate looks wonderful.  Did you use mung Dahl?  Is the cabbage sauté and then cooked with the Dahl?  How much cabbage to Dahl do you use?  I love Dahl.

I used 1/2 cup of yellow split peas, the cabbage (about a quarter of a small one) sits on top of the dal to cook in the steam. The recipe is loosely from the great Tess Mallos book "The Bean Cookbook".

Details are on my "What's for dinner ?" page on FB. I used to know how to put the link in here, but since the last FB upgrade I can't figure it out ....

• Like 2

image.jpeg

Braised chicken over basmati rice (rice cooked in Instant Pot). It was an open braise so the chicken skin stayed crispy.

• Like 17

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

32 minutes ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Braised chicken over basmati rice (rice cooked in Instant Pot). It was an open braise so the chicken skin stayed crispy.

That looks delicious. Can you explain the open braise bit please ?

• Like 2

@sartoric

it simply means braising without a lid.  I usually do it for duck legs but it works equally well for chicken legs. So you brown the chicken legs, these were drenched with seasoned flour. Put them in an oven-proof dish  and add just enough liquid to come up to about the halfway point.  You then braise them, uncovered, in the oven.  You may need to top up the liquid  to ensure the chicken doesn't burn.   You are looking for a gentle simmer.  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

I used 1/2 cup of yellow split peas, the cabbage (about a quarter of a small one) sits on top of the dal to cook in the steam. The recipe is loosely from the great Tess Mallos book "The Bean Cookbook".

Details are on my "What's for dinner ?" page on FB. I used to know how to put the link in here, but since the last FB upgrade I can't figure it out ....

Oh, I figured out the link thingy.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1642902662689112&id=1427021760943871

• Like 1

Nice, thank you.  I have added spinach to Dahl but not cabbage.  Will have to try that.

i noticed in your curry making process you were adding the yoghurt slowly, likely to prevent it separating?  If so, have you tried whisking in 1 teaspoon of cornstarch per 1 cup yogurt to stabilize it for adding to hot sauces....works well for me.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Nice, thank you.  I have added spinach to Dahl but not cabbage.  Will have to try that.

i noticed in your curry making process you were adding the yoghurt slowly, likely to prevent it separating?  If so, have you tried whisking in 1 teaspoon of cornstarch per 1 cup yogurt to stabilize it for adding to hot sauces....works well for me.

I watched Madhur Jaffrey do it this way (on TV, can't remember the series) and it works well. The reasoning was you fry between each addition thereby increasing the depth of flavour. Yesterday was raining, cold and windy, so time in front of the stove was a pleasure. Good to know about the cornflour ! 

Edited by sartoric
Add details (log)
  • Like 2

I'm keepin it simple tonight, no pots and pans were harmed in tonight's dinner lol. A little antipasti, mixed olives and honeycrisp apples wrapped in prosciutto and the fragrance of a bruised sprig of rosemary to complete the assault on all 5 senses. 

image.jpeg

• Like 19

Swordfish cooked indoors on grill pan, looked very pro with nice grill marks. Unfortunately my quinoa didn't fare as well, I added some green tea powder and chopped up blueberries (other things also, but these were the culprits)...wound up with an unappetizing gray color. Will need to add some chopped up colorful veggies and salvage the leftovers into a salad.

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I seldom dine upon the same meal two nights in a row except in the event of leftovers.  Howbeit I did not feel up to baking bread tonight so I grilled another of those strangely boned "rib" pork chops.  This time with wild rice.  Rather than blanched, tonight's Brussels sprouts were super steamed in the CSO, 400 deg F. for twenty minutes, per the Cuisinart recipe booklet.

As I grilled the pork I was monitoring the temperature.  The Thermapen hit 70 deg C. and I quickly pulled the pork.  As it happens I must have measured in an inconvenient spot since once rested the pork was barely rare.  So rare that my younger self would have pitched it then and there.  But I succumbed.  So succulent and so good.

At 25 minutes the wild rice was overdone.  Nothing stopped me from eating it.  The CSO super steamed Brussels sprouts were quite OK but I still prefer my Brussels sprouts simply blanched.

Dessert is a well deserved glass of Colonel E. H. Taylor straight rye to cut through the unctuousness dripping down my chinny chin chin.

• Like 10

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 9/8/2016 at 9:50 AM, Spork said:

An open face sandwich.

i-cMqZzZj-L.jpg

A toasted slice of Italian topped with Swiss, corned beef, banana pepper, and gravy. Fried zucchini.

That a smoke ring on the corned beef?

• Like 1