• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 8)

ElainaA

Mexican night at my house. My husband had a beef burrito with refried beans and cheese, and I had a couple of tostadas.

I cooked up the ground chuck with diced onion, jalapenos, chili powder, Goya Adobo, and black pepper. There was grated colby jack cheese, shredded iceberg, thinly sliced garden cherry tomatoes, and Daisy sour cream. I briefly grilled a large flour tortilla for him, spread a little hot refried beans down the center, and the rest of the filling was just the hot seasoned ground beef topped with cheese, the way he likes it, with a small salad of shredded lettuce, tomato, cheese and sour cream, topped with a sprinkle of more of the mild chili powder. He also had a side of beans topped with the co-jack.

My first tostada was the beef mixture piled on top of an oven heated, commercial thin corn tostada, then topped with lettuce, and tomato. For the second one, I heated another tostada shell, and served it with a dish of beans and cheese and a salad of lettuce, tomato and sour cream with a sprinkle of chili powder also on the side. Then I build bites, as I'm ready to eat them, because the tostada stays crisper and the lettuce doesn't wilt that way. As usual, my beans had a healthy dose of Taco Bell hot sauce under the melted cheese.

• Like 9

> ^ . . ^ <

I get one cheat day a week, went to a Korean BBQ for dinner, had a decent amount of protein and salad, still skipped the rice. I didn't stuff my face like I used to Lol, went home and had dessert, normally on non-cheat days it's a fruit, but today I traded it for Tangyuen, its Mochi filled with ground black sesame seeds and sugar, boiled in a tangerine peel infusion slightly sweetened with rock sugar. Totally hit the spot for my sweet cravings. 

image.jpeg

• Like 14

On 9/4/2016 at 6:56 AM, Ashen said:

Just spot on , on those meatballs 

beef , veal and pork or just beef and pork?   

if you don't mind my asking , what kind of tomato did you use in that?   I am in a perpetual search for good passata. 

Ashen --

On Facebook, someone in a group devoted to Italian cooking just mentioned that her nonna makes polpette by dropping them directly into a pot of simmering tomato sauce.  She skips the frying step...and now I am intrigued.

It's too soon to make meatballs since we just had them last weekend.  This is on my "to-do" list sometime in the next month.

• Like 1

Pretty wet Sunday on the gulf coast so I cooked a couple of butts in the oven instead of the grill..  They became the main course last night with a few appetizers.

rP1050083.jpg

Shashito peppers, compressed melon with feta and fried green tomatoes with shrimp and remoulade.

rP1050084.jpg

Edited by Steve Irby (log)
  • Like 22

5 hours ago, sartoric said:

Comfort food - pan fried porterhouse, baked potato with cheese, roasted corn and garlic spinach.

image.jpeg

@sartoric I liked your post, I really did, but it looked to be an awful lot of food for one person! 

Today I wanted corn but, here, close to the peak of the corn season in the northern hemisphere, there was no corn to be had.  None.  Is your corn local?

I did, however, purchase an organic Australian rib eye steak and a russet potato...though no spinach.  I read something recently -- I'm forgetting where, perhaps in the Economist -- that spinach is the favorite vegetable of school aged children when prepared properly.

Finishing now my mai tai and almond course I am about to go dine on cucumber and tomatoes.  Perchance a bit of lettuce if the lettuce hasn't rotted.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

35 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@sartoric I liked your post, I really did, but it looked to be an awful lot of food for one person! 

Today I wanted corn but, here, close to the peak of the corn season in the northern hemisphere, there was no corn to be had.  None.  Is your corn local?

I did, however, purchase an organic Australian rib eye steak and a russet potato...though no spinach.  I read something recently -- I'm forgetting where, perhaps in the Economist -- that spinach is the favorite vegetable of school aged children when prepared properly.

Finishing now my mai tai and almond course I am about to go dine on cucumber and tomatoes.  Perchance a bit of lettuce if the lettuce hasn't rotted.

I readily admit that he who must be fed ate at least half of my steak (it was only 200 g).

The corn is sort of local, grown about 150 kms west of here.

We are very lucky to enjoy a subtropical climate and fertile farmlands close by.

Enjoy that steak ! 

As for spinach, I love it now. It had a bad rep for so long, was probably way over cooked. Lots of butter, salt, pepper and minimal cooking make it  a treat for me. 

Wishing you stable lettuce :)

• Like 2

Thanks!  The lettuce was indeed OK.  I finished all of it.  Tonight's cucumber was large and seedy but it was a gift, and who am I to refuse free food?  I did not count the tomatoes.  As I believe I've said, at the moment, they are infinite and most probably will be until frost.

Recovering now with a generous glass of Bolivian Singani.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I liked your post, I really did, but it looked to be an awful lot of food for one person!

Just because one's eyes motivate one to put it on the plate does not mandate that it all must be eaten in one sitting. :)

We frequently have leftovers, which rarely get wasted. We both ate a lot more when we were younger, but have been eating on a pound of ground beef cooked up with Mexican treatment for two days for dinner, and the husband got a lunch out of it as well. Meat goes a really long way sometimes in Mexican applications, supplemented with lots of veggies, cheese, and tonight's reprise included some very ripe mango (with a very nice low-salt chili powder from Dollar General of all places) and (leftover) chickpea salad sides.

I'm getting a little tired of looking at the leftover beef mixture, so I think I will mix the remaining 4 ounces or so up with some chili con carne fixin's, including fresh garden tomatoes, and serve it over spaghetti for our next dinner to provide some variety.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

Monday

Grilled Bison Burgers

Bison was sourced from Fresh Thyme  --Charr grilled eggplant, grilled onions/ garlic, fresh sage, parsley and picked ramps.

Finished with Whole grain mustard and home made pickles  ( too tired for a finished shot!!  )

29418706651_12745dff73_k.jpg

• Like 16

Its good to have Morels

image.jpeg

Lamb chops with Mexican corn salad.

• Like 19

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Various meals.

Another round of phở. (see here for the prep)

DSCN1027a_600.jpg

Ran out of normal limes so grabbed some fresh calamansi limes from the plant on the deck.

Raw shaved ribeye, tendon, tripe, raw onion slices, chopped scallions, broth augmented by simmering more w/ the oxtail meat + recovered fatty marrow & etc from the bones.

Calamansi limes, sawtooth coriander, Thai basil, coriander, bean sprouts.

Pad woon sen, the night's version.

DSCN1042a_600.jpg

Hot peanut oil, garlic, dark meat chicken, some of a sauce mixture, poblano pepper, sweet red Carmen pepper, white onion, eggs, presoaked glass noodles, rest of the sauce mixture, Thai basil, bean sprouts.

Sauce mixture: Fish sauce, oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, sang chau, sesame oil, white pepper, Shaohsing wine.

Soup.

DSCN1048a_500.jpg

Shaved ribeye & tong ho (茼蒿) in some of the Phở broth/stock diluted down w/ water.

A tofu & mince rice plate.

DSCN1052a_600.jpg

Hot peanut oil, chopped smashed garlic, sliced young ginger (season's fresh crop), minced sirloin, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, Bulldog tonkatsu sauce, soft tofu block crumbled by hand into the pan, lots and lots of chopped scallions.

White rice.

• Like 19

Everyone's meals are so enticing.  I am so hungry right now!

Look!  A couple of tomatoes from my garden!

photo 1.JPG

Along with steak

photo 2.JPG

I was exhausted last night so I thawed out more venison chili and had it over zoodles.  I must have been more hungry because I liked them this time lol.  

photo 3.JPG

• Like 22

23 hours ago, ProfessionalHobbit said:

Ashen --

On Facebook, someone in a group devoted to Italian cooking just mentioned that her nonna makes polpette by dropping them directly into a pot of simmering tomato sauce.  She skips the frying step...and now I am intrigued.

It's too soon to make meatballs since we just had them last weekend.  This is on my "to-do" list sometime in the next month.

Try it,  you lose that nice browned meat flavour of the sear but it does have a more tender texture  when just braised.   I personally prefer seared first but meatballs made properly taste great either way. 

• Like 6

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Tuesday: Grilled kielbasa, potato salad and red cabbage and grated apples braised in apple juice with some caraway and allspice.

DSC01635.jpg

Yesterday: Tomato soup, using up some of the plethora of tomatoes from my garden and a salad plate with steak, some red and golden beets (also from the garden) and the requisite cukes and cherry tomatoes. I liked the soup a lot - I'll be making a couple more batches to freeze.

DSC01642.jpg

DSC01640.jpg

• Like 26

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Coleslaw made with broccoli and cauliflower stalks shredded, mixed with basil and red peppers, dressed with Duke mayo.  Also left over roasted chicken and potatoes ( not pictured to avoid terminal boredome).

image.jpg

• Like 15

Garden dinner: Tongue of Fire Beans cooked with tomatoes, garlic, onion, sage and parsley, a salad of bitter greens and lettuce (endive,chicory, romaine) and red onion, bruschetta with seasoned ricotta, oven roasted tomatoes, red onion and oregano and a salad of fennel and apples.  The beans,tomatoes, garlic, onions, endive, chicory, onion, fennel and sage all picked just before they were cooked.

DSC01645.jpg

DSC01644.jpg

• Like 17

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

22 hours ago, Mmmpomps said:

Sick day, pulled out the Instant pot and had warming chicken noodle soup in about 20 minutes. Toasted garden fresh tomato and mayo sandwich on toasted squishy white bread and a hot pickled pepper to cure what ails me :)

Get well soon, @Mmmpomps! That meal looks like the perfect thing to help you along. 

• Like 3