• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 8)

ElainaA

carrot rice sounds interesting....

don't hate me but everything got bolloxed up ....

ended up reheating some wheat pasta then adding butter and ketchup.....had a tomato and red onion salad with blue cheese and vinaigrette earlier.  Johnnybird's stomach was a bit uneasy so before he went off to the concert some boiled potatoes and leftover Cornish hen with gravy NO veg.   chicken breast sandwiches for after as he can't seem to go more than 30 minutes in the car without SOMETHING to eat.  Ask me to tell you about the supplies I need for a roadtrip.  Tomorrow will be different ......maybe.

still have a bit of steak to work with....

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

29 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Carrot rice?  How is that made, please?

It's rice, carrot, salted butter and water in a eletric rice cooker.

I mix 1 cup of rice, half carrot, and a table spoon of butter, 2 cups of water, and the eletric rice cooker make all the job.

Learning

22 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

carrot rice sounds interesting....

don't hate me but everything got bolloxed up ....

It's only my dinner hehehe 

Learning

Korean BBQ country style pork ribs, bruschetta and butter and sugar corn. I love silver queen, but my timing has been off. I seem to get there just as the last of it is gone. Next time those ribs (many of their brethren are in the freezer) will go into the IP or SV before the grill. These were good, but could have been more tender.

HC

IMG_1908.JPG

IMG_1909.JPG

IMG_1910.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 18

Liuzhou, your shrimp are always so fresh looking.  Makes me hungry for them.

Chris, your ribs look great!  The IP sure is a quick way to get 'em more tender.  I'm glad you got to have some Silver Queen--you just can't beat it.  

Sandwich night with mac and cheese and broccoli salad.  And a not too bad, but still not great, non-garden tomato.

photo.JPG

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Liuzhou, your shrimp are always so fresh looking.  Makes me hungry for them.

Well, they were alive about 5 minutes before I took the picture. I am blessed with luck in the seafood department. I know it.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

14 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Nice looking meal. I would like to know how you did the mussels.

HC

Thanks! I bought a pound frozen cooked mussels in a half shell, defrosted, pulled it off the shell and cut in half, patted dry to get rid of excess liquid. Rinse the shells and set aside to drain and dry. In a bowl mix a cup of mayo, a tablespoon of sugar, half a tablespoon of Sriracha and two teaspoons Masago(salted capelin roe), adjust sugar and Sriracha to your preference. Toss the mussel halves in and coat well. Return mussels back to shells bake 350 for 20 min. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Wild_Yeast said:

Thanks! I bought a pound frozen cooked mussels in a half shell, defrosted, pulled it off the shell and cut in half, patted dry to get rid of excess liquid. Rinse the shells and set aside to drain and dry. In a bowl mix a cup of mayo, a tablespoon of sugar, half a tablespoon of Sriracha and two teaspoons Masago(salted capelin roe), adjust sugar and Sriracha to your preference. Toss the mussel halves in and coat well. Return mussels back to shells bake 350 for 20 min. 

Damn, that sounds marvelous.

I had takeout chicken tikka masala. Satisfactory, if not exceptional. First night at home in a week, worked like a madwoman with my head in the computer screen all day. May potentially get to cook tomorrow.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

It's been quite some time since I participated in this thread! Been travelling but finally happily back in my own kitchen!
Meals lately have been dictated by former customers at our restaurant, from which we retired in 2002!

#31, Soo's Boneless Almond ChickeneGSoo's Almond Chicken0004.jpg

Next was #110 Soo's Crispy Ginger Beef
eG Ginger Beef 0004.jpg

And # 101. Beef with Green Peppers & Black Bean Garlic Sauce
eGHot plate0008.jpg

Dessert - not your typical Chinese dessert but a family favourite: banana cream pie!
eG Banana Cream Pie0065.jpg
I cheated on the crust as this was one made with Crisco vegetable shortening. I don't do well with vegetable shortening anymore, not since I started making my crust with lard and butter in the food processor. Our friends are Muslim, thus the Crisco crust.

• Like 20

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

6 minutes ago, Dejah said:

It's been quite some time since I participated in this thread! Been travelling but finally happily back in my own kitchen!

Welcome back. I was just thinking yesterday, while looking through an older thread, "I wonder what happened to Dejah."

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Simple boiled fresh edamame [Farming Engineers], sprinkled w/ coarse sea salt.

DSCN0957a_500.jpg

Holy basil from the deck, before further trimming & plucking.

DSCN0955a_500.jpg

Chicken dark meat stir-fry; with peanut oil, garlic, red Thai chillies, (chicken), fish sauce [Red Boat], patty pan squashes, Vidalia onion, sugar, holy basil.

DSCN0962b_600.jpg

Served w/ rice.

Plus stir-fried ong choy.

DSCN0961a_500.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

The "Zoodle Queen" :raz:

They look very inviting under those shrimp.

I have just bought a cheap zoodle maker because of you guys. And the enormous courgette in my fridge :D

• Like 7