• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 8)

ElainaA

7 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I think of menudo as the Latin tripe dish. So this is very interesting. I'm always learning something here, thanks, Prof. Hobbit.

You're not too far off.

http://asianinamericamag.com/2014/07/how-to-make-menudo-filipino-style/ explains the Filipino angle.  

My family's version is radically different from Betty's.

• Like 4

Tuna rice. I didn't go shopping, so raided the pantry for this, quick easy and yummy.

Diced onion, crushed garlic, turmeric and chilli sautéed in ghee. Basmati rice, chicken stock, frozen peas, then tuna stirred in last minute. Served with pappadams and papaya chutney.

image.jpeg

• Like 13

I had a dear friend for the weekend at my place, we went out to dine for 3 days, 4th day, we had to cook ;-)

the result (we did not buy anything, just from my stock, should I worry? ;-)  )

Zucchinirolls, stuffed with a salted sheeps cheese on a fingerlicking carott/campari/orange reduction with crispy quinoa

foie gras with port figs and wild herb salad (it was dark already, so we were looking for greens with a flashlight in my garden )

aperol sorbet with sea buckthorn and assam pepper. 

14172097_1096861827073332_854864754_n.jpg

14095913_10207001109129430_8294512594628349203_n.jpg

14102663_10207001112089504_6131365529371648248_n.jpg

Edited by ninagluck (log)
  • Like 22

21 minutes ago, ninagluck said:

I had a dear friend for the weekend at my place, we went out to dine for 3 days, 4th day, we had to cook ;-)

Zucchinirolls, stuffed with a salted sheeps cheese on a fingerlicking carott/campari/orange reduction with crispy quinoa

foie gras with port figs and wild herb salad (it was dark already, so we were looking for greens with a flashlight in my garden )

ninagluck, I wish I were your dear friend ;)

• Like 4

This is what happens when my wife is late from work.  I play in the kitchen. 

Leftover salt cod and potato mixture that was used for fish cakes Sat night were fried and served with a garlicky homemade mayo.  

The  texture of these quenelles was far superior to the cakes that were shallow fried the other night.  These were light as a feather.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 18

image.jpeg

Farro cooked in Instant Pot, dressed with olive oil and white wine vinegar and tossed with tomatoes, cucumber, scallions and blue cheese. 

• Like 17

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Roasted artichoke with mayo, garlic, and jalapeño dip.

Eating an artichoke is like getting to know someone really well  Willi Hastings

image.jpg

roasted tomato and red pepper soup with crispy fried left over bits of pork rib meat

image.jpg

• Like 18

18 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

The roasted tomatoes were probably the best thing I did. I never think I will get sick of raw garden tomatoes in the winter when the grocers are offering styromates, although they have gotten better lately with tasty Scarlet Pearl grape tomatoes offered nearly year'round and all through the winter. I needed some variation today though. So I looked to Marcella Hazan for inspiration. I knew she would come to my rescue.

Marcella can always come to the rescue. She is my Yoda.

• Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Top sirloin cap – salt & pepper; pan-seared; oven finished.

Small Kennebec potatoes – simmered in salted water, tossed w/ Charentes Poitou butter & fresh parsley.

Chiffonaded collard greens – sautéed in the pan residues after searing the beef.

DSCN0931a_600.jpg

I cooked the larger end of the TSC (cut in half); the smaller end was kept for another day.

Just out of the oven...    Just after cutting...  

DSCN0920b_400.jpgDSCN0924a_400.jpg

• Like 15

I slow braised a chuck roast from partially frozen with slivered onion, a can of cream of celery soup, a Knorr caldo de res cube, and half a cup boiling water all day in my 1982 Rival crockpot. At about 3:00 PM, I added lots of fresh, rough-chopped carrots and celery. Then about an hour before we ate, I added a little dried thyme, lots of dried parsley, and some black pepper. It didn't need any more salt.

I left the potatoes I usually include out, because I planned to serve leftover scalloped potatoes, but all we wanted was the pot roast, veggies and some toasted English muffins with butter.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

I ate leftovers, but the hubby doesn't care for it when it was freshly made (Chickenimage.jpegMarsala ) lol so I made him Doenjjang Jjigae/ Korean Beanpaste stew, potatoes, squash, mushrooms, cabbage, pork, carrots, chili flakes and the most important ingredient: fermented bean paste.  

• Like 12

A pasta bowl.

DSCN0940a_600.jpg

Ripe tomatoes [Van Antwerp Farm] de-skinned, de-seeded; stewed w/ onions, celery, grated yellow carrots [Silverthorn Farm] gently sautéed/softened in EV olive oil [California Olive Ranch]; plus a sliced-up yellow Carmela sweet pepper [Silverthorn Farm]; fresh basil [my deck] towards the end; seasoning adjusted.

With linguine [Rustichella d'Abruzzo] & leftover boiled & buttered small Kennebec [Silverthorn Farm] potatoes.

Genovese basil [my deck] garnish.

A couple slices (a half) of a Lambkin melon [Fields Farm Fresh].

DSCN0942b_500.jpg

• Like 14

Last night was a roasted game hen stuffed with lemon and garlic on a bed of roasted veg - rainbow carrots, eggplant, sweet potato along with some steamed yellow beans.

I think I will take my dinner inspiration from @huiray's of a day or so ago with some steak with tarragon, baby red potatoes but, instead of the collard greens I do believe I will visit a local store and pick up a bit of Mr. Ron's coleslaw.

I've already roasted off some chicken breasts to make sandwiches for John and will pick up some shrimp to make shrimp and rice noodles for him to nosh on the next few days....

• Like 8

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I have a glut of lemons, so lemony dinner.

First, a starter of clams simply steamed with garlic in a little water acidulated with lemon juice. Finger food.

clams2.jpg

Then

Cubed pork tenderloin marinated for 24 hours in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, coriander seeds, S+P.

pork.jpg

Served with rice and a tomato, scallion, mint salad dressed with shichi-mi tōgarashi.

• Like 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Pizza: thin crust (store bought) with mozzarella, onions, red peppers, mushrooms and chicken apple sausage.  Forgot to take a picture of the whole pie, so here is the plate of leftovers ready to go into the fridge.

pizza829.jpg

• Like 19

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

On 8/28/2016 at 2:05 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dinner was the tenderloin cut from a porterhouse, sous vide  55.5 deg C.  Nothing wrong with that temperature, but the beef was cooked way too long and was mealy.  This was because of the flies, or more specifically one particular fly that kept me occupied for hours.

As I was madly whisking the Hollandaise it sat on the control wheel of my CSO and mocked me.  The Hollandaise ended up too stiff, and the bread was overdone.  A couple of times I thought I might have gotten the fly but it kept coming back.

Sometimes you think you've hit the fly but unless you find the body, most likely you did not.  This time there was no mistake -- barehanded.  Very satisfying.  My dinner I enjoyed in peace, but as I said it was not a very good dinner.

My beloved CSO I then wiped down with bleach.

My sympathies and congratulations on finally obliterating the SOB. I hate a fly. And we have hordes of them.

On 8/29/2016 at 5:27 PM, ninagluck said:

I probably should not have reposted the photos again, but they're so gorgeous I could not help it. That meal is a gorgeous thing.

I am back from a three-day conference at which I ate hotel food, but for one exceptional dinner at the Capitol Bar and Grille in Little Rock, where I had their burger with pimiento cheese. If you ever go to Little Rock, AR, do this. They also have a reasonably decent Cuban sandwich. And spiced pecans that will make you cry, they're so good.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com