• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 8)

ElainaA

Man, you guys are kill'n it with these dinner  posts!!!!!!!

Great work everyone.

Can't believe there are people who eat at fast food places, night after night.

They have no clue.  Really no clue.  Very sad.  It can be a matter of economics also as I understand.  And that is really sad.

cheers to summer and our bounty.   Share if you have extra.  Always a good thing.

• Like 6

Steamed the last of my homemade Chiuchow dumplings. Ground pork, Asian chives, Chinese celery, shitake mushrooms and roasted peanuts wrapped in crystal wrapper. Also made Beijing-style Smashed Cucumber salad.

image.jpeg

• Like 22

21 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Hey Wild_Yeast, wonderful to have you posting!  Your dumpling are beautiful.  "Crystal Wraper"?

Are they made with wheat flour or those dreadfully difficult rice/wheat starch dough dumplings?

Thanks @Okanagancook , it is that one. The recipe I use has wheat and tapioca starch instead of rice starch. They're not "dreadfully difficult" lol, as a matter of fact I think they're much easier to work with than the wheat flour kind. you can't overknead it since there's no gluten to worry about. It's only biggest enemy is when it gets too cold, the starch seizes and crumbles. So you have to work fast, or get an assembly line of volunteers, family works best. Lol 

• Like 3

Last night was guacamole, not very good guacamole, too much raw onion.  Overcooked RG beans.  Tonight I'm tired.  Very tired.  Canned tuna, probably too much raw onion.

I'm about to go find out.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

A day of grazing and odds & ends.

More of the BKT from here on rice; plus stir-fried kai-lan stems.

DSCN0841a_400.jpgDSCN0846a_400.jpg

Jamaican patties from "Patties of Jamaica".

DSCN0851a_600.jpg

Also got a bag of frozen ones for munchies later...

DSCN0854a_500.jpg

Gingered chicken soup w/ bamboo shoots [from Asia Mart], straw mushrooms [Dragonfly], wong nga pak & toasted wheat vermicelli [Ahmed Foods] folded in right at the end. Scallions.

DSCN0856a_600.jpg

Mini apple strudel from The Fresh Market's bakery. [This one]

DSCN0860a_500.jpg

• Like 15

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night was guacamole, not very good guacamole, too much raw onion.  Overcooked RG beans.  Tonight I'm tired.  Very tired.  Canned tuna, probably too much raw onion.

I'm about to go find out.

But you do have a libation of some sort as a consolation prize?

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

But you do have a libation of some sort as a consolation prize?

Well, yes, Soave of course.  Though actually the tuna and onion was quite tasty with a few quartered tomatoes.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 8/22/2016 at 8:54 PM, Norm Matthews said:

Our dinner was KC strip steak on the grill, stuffed mushrooms, baked potato and asparagus.  The little tomato was the first one from the garden. We split it. 

DSCN3720.jpg

Looks more like a NY strip  ; - )

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

This wasn't very good.  Kung Pao shrimp from Chinese Kitchen by Eileen Yin Fei Lo.  Too much spice.  Over powered the shrimp and too many peanuts.  Didn't finish it.

DSC01615.jpg

Exact same thing happened to me w kung pao shrimp last week. Too damn spicy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, huiray said:

A day of grazing and odds & ends.

More of the BKT from here on rice; plus stir-fried kai-lan stems.

Jamaican patties from "Patties of Jamaica".

DSCN0851a_600.jpg

Also got a bag of frozen ones for munchies later...

DSCN0854a_500.jpg

Always enjoyed good Jamaican patties! Not too hot though.

• Like 4

I've been too busy to post much recently but I did take pictures so here are a few meals.

Chicken thigh pieces seasoned with garlic, parsley, cumin, paprika, crushed red peppers and salt - sat for a couple of hours in the refrigerator then skewered and grilled. There was a nice yogurt sauce with more garlic to go with. Also home made naan topped with yogurt with chopped cucumbers, mint, parsley, s&p and a little hot sauce, then a layer of chickpeas mashed with vinegar, onions,parsley and a little olive oil and finally topped with sliced tomatoes seasoned with sumac, cumin, coriander, chopped garlic, red pepper flakes and salt. Very good but a bit challenging to eat with out structural collapse.

DSC01586.jpg

Veal braised with zucchini, grated tomatoes and onions in chicken stock with cinnamon and a risotto with dried porcini.

DSC01571.jpg

Boneless chicken breast marinated in a lemon vinaigrette then grilled, small red potatoes parboiled then grilled, a few tomatoes and cukes in more of the vinaigrette and Deborah Madison's 5 minute beets with some of the golden beets from the garden.

DSC01575.jpg

• Like 19

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Mezze !

Lamb cutlets dusted with sumac, pan fried, served with mint chermoula.
Slow roasted tomatoes, zucchini and eggplant strips with harissa sauce.
Baked SB mushroom caps stuffed with roast garlic, mint and dukkah butter.
Roast pumpkin hummus, olives, pickles, falafels, medjool dates, toasted pita breads.

image.jpeg

• Like 17

I really didn't know what I wanted to make for dinner tonight. Not really in the mood to cook, so my husband went out and brought home some Moist Brisket from our local Rudy's Bar-B-Q and I put a potato in the oven to bake. We split the potato.

image.jpeg

• Like 15

Last night.

kebab800.jpg

Stuff on sticks.

Pork marinated in olive oil, lemon juice and zest, s+p  for 24 hours. Cherry tomatoes, red and yellow bell peppers, and shallots marinated in the same marinade for about an hour. Grilled. With rice and a green salad on the side.

I ate six sticks.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 17

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto