• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

If I recall correctly, it was about 40 years ago, when as an art teacher,  I read (studied) a book on the Chinese Dynasties in relation to the arts of the periods.  It was only a very short time after that in which the Chinese government changed the spelling and English pronunciation in a way that made the book and everything I had attempted to teach myself obsolete.  For example Peking was changed to Beijing. 

No one changed the pronunciation. They changed the transliteration from something invented by a half-deaf Cambridge don and his student into something much more sensible. The capital was never, ever pronounced "pee-king" in Chinese. It was always more like "bay-jing".

Similarly, things like kung-po chicken are meaningless to the vast majority of Chinese speakers. It has always been "gong bao (pronounced bow as in what you do when you meet the queen) " Ask for wontons in 99% of Chinese restaurants in China and they'll be baffled.

Anyway, probably enough Chinese language for one day. I have to put up with it every day!

Dinner tonight was a couple of home-made hamburgers and chips (fries). No pic.

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

If I recall correctly, it was about 40 years ago, when as an art teacher,  I read (studied) a book on the Chinese Dynasties in relation to the arts of the periods.  It was only a very short time after that in which the Chinese government changed the spelling and English pronunciation in a way that made the book and everything I had attempted to teach myself obsolete.  For example Peking was changed to Beijing. 

No one changed the pronunciation. They changed the transliteration from something invented by a half-deaf Cambridge don and his student into something much more sensible. The capital was never, ever pronounced "pee-king" in Chinese. It was always more like "bay-jing".

Similarly, things like kung-po chicken are meaningless to the vast majority of Chinese speakers. It has always been "gong bao (pronounced bow) " Ask for wontons in 99% of Chinese restaurants in China and they'll be baffled.

Anyway, probably enough Chinese language for one day. I have to put up with it every day!

Dinner tonight was a couple of home-made hamburgers and chips (fries). No pic.