• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

spelling

Last night we went to one of my favorite Mexican restaurants in Cary. My husband ordered the carne asada burritos and I ordered a couple of cheese enchiladas and a chalupa with picadillo. Picadillo is a stewed seasoned pork and beef shredded concoction here, and quite good. The chalupa is unusual here, as it's a big crisp-fried flour tortilla filled with meat of your choice, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheddar and a little cilantro. It's like a giant flour shell crisp taco on steroids, and was very good, as usual. Unfortunately, my cheese enchiladas, for which I have had a severe craving since we went to Bravo's Mexican, and received substandard food, came out on a hot plate, but with unmelted cheese. I asked the waitress to take them back and have the cheese melted, and although she remembers me, because I always press cash into her hand for a generous tip, seemed confused. English is her second language, and she told me the cheese is melted. I later figured out, she meant the cheese scattered over the top of the enchiladas. I showed her the unmelted shredded cheese inside the enchiladas, and she immediately offered to take them back. I hate sending anything back. I have worked as a waitress, but I just couldn't eat them like that. She brought back my chalupa shortly so I could chow down on that while I waited on the enchiladas to be properly cooked. When she did bring the separate plate of enchiladas, they hit my craving spot, so well! Oozy melted cheese, perfect chili sauce, and so good. Between the frozen margarita ($4.99) delicious, and strongest in the area, and the great food I ordered ($8.75), I was nearly in a food/tequila coma. It was worth it though. No geese in the parking lot tonight, although we finished our drinks on the patio, hoping to see some.

The carne asada burritos ($12.50) my husband ordered come two to the order of ten inch flour tortillas stuffed with their version of grilled skirt steak, which is very delicious. I usually order the carne asada not in burrito form, but I had this intense craving for good cheese enchiladas. He only finished one burrito at the restaurant, so took the other home to have for dinner tonight. His burritos also had some refried beans and rice, but they are mostly delicious skirt steak. They also served pico de gallo, minus raw jalapeno, whole grilled jalapeno and spring onions, and topped the burritos with a thick white cheese sauce they call molcajete and Cotija cheese on his giant plate, the size of a pizza pan. It comes sided with big scoops of sour cream and an excellent guacamole on top of green leaf lettuce.

Because he doesn't like grilled jalapeno or avocado/guac, and they would go to waste, I salvaged them to my plate when his dish was served. :) I ate it all, save the seeds and membranes from the jalapeno which had plenty of heat going on. I even scraped the enchilada plate with my fork. So good, and worth the near food/tequila coma! Oh, I also left some of the picadillo from the chalupa, because I was more interested in the veggie components.

Because my husband had great leftovers tonight, this left me free to go vegetarian, as I am wont to do when I don't have to please the carnivore. I had a salad of garden cucumber, tomato, commercial chick peas, green bell pepper and shredded carrot in lemon tahini dressing with garlic powder and a kick of cayenne. Then I made angel hair pasta in butter sauce with a bit of pasta cooking water and parmesan cheese. The last of the muscadine grapes for dessert. I hope I find more this season. It's not too late, I think.

I offered him some of everything I made for myself, but he was too full. He will eat the leftover pasta for lunch tomorrow, along with other good stuff, like a piece of blueberry coffee cake.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

Last night we went to one of my favorite Mexican restaurants in Cary. My husband ordered the carne asada burritos and I ordered a couple of cheese enchiladas and a chalupa with picadillo. Picadillo is a stewed seasoned pork and beef shredded concoction here, and quite good. The chalupa is unusual here, as it's a big crisp-fried flour tortilla filled with meat of your choice, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheddar and a little cilantro. It's like a giant flour shell crisp taco on steroids, and was very good, as usual. Unfortunately, my cheese enchiladas, for which I have had a severe craving since we went to Bravo's Mexican, and received substandard food, came out on a hot plate, but with unmelted cheese. I asked the waitress to take them back and have the cheese melted, and although she remembers me, because I always press cash into her hand for a generous tip, seemed confused. English is her second language, and she told me the cheese is melted. I later figured out, she meant the cheese scattered over the top of the enchiladas. I showed her the unmelted shredded cheese inside the enchiladas, and she immediately offered to take them back. I hate sending anything back. I have worked as a waitress, but I just couldn't eat them like that. She brought back my chalupa shortly so I could chow down on that while I waited on the enchiladas to be properly cooked. When she did bring the separate plate of enchiladas, they hit my craving spot, so well! Oozy melted cheese, perfect chili sauce, and so good. Between the frozen margarita ($4.99) delicious, and strongest in the area, and the great food I ordered ($8.75), I was nearly in a food/tequila coma. It was worth it though. No geese in the parking lot tonight, although we finished our drinks on the patio, hoping to see some.

The carne asada burritos ($12.50) my husband ordered come two to the order of ten inch flour tortillas stuffed with their version of grilled skirt steak, which is very delicious. I usually order the carne asada not in burrito form, but I had this intense craving for good cheese enchiladas. He only finished one burrito at the restaurant, so took the other home to have for dinner tonight. His burritos also had some refried beans and rice, but they are mostly delicious skirt steak. They also served pico de gallo, minus raw jalapeno, whole grilled jalapeno and spring onions, and topped the burritos with a thick white cheese sauce they call molcajete and Cotija cheese on his giant plate, the size of a pizza pan. It comes sided with big scoops of sour cream and an excellent guacamole on top of green leaf lettuce.

Because he doesn't like grilled jalapeno or avocado/guac, and they would go to waste, I salvaged them to my plate when his dish was served. :) I ate it all, save the seeds and membranes from the jalapeno which had plenty of heat going on. I even scraped the enchilada plate with my fork. So good, and worth the near food/tequila coma! Oh, I also left some of the picadillo from the chalupa, because I was more interested in the veggie components.

Because my husband had great leftovers tonight, this left me free to go vegetarian, as I am wont to do when I don't have to please the carnivore. I had a salad of garden cucumber, tomato, commercial chick peas, green bell pepper and shredded carrot in lemon tahini dressing with garlic powder and a kick of cayenne. Then I made angel hair pasta in butter sauce with a bit of pasta cooking water and parmesan cheese. The last of the muscadine grapes for dessert. I hope I find more this season. It's not to late, I think.

I offered him some of everything I made for myself, but he was too full. He will eat the leftover pasta for lunch tomorrow, along with other good stuff, like a piece of blueberry coffee cake.