• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I still love Mimi Sheraton

NWKate

I have several of her books and had purchased 1000 foods before my recent retirement.  I recently unearthed it from my Subaru and must recommend it to you all.  She has such a gift for writing and for taste that I am almost able to taste the flavor from her brief descriptions.  I am going to make baked apples, latkes (with our beloved Steve Shaw in mind),  Cioppino, and Kim Chi. What  do you think?

Edited by NWKate
Got to hate auto correct g- d d-mm it! (log)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, NWKate said:

I have several of her books and had purchased 1000 foods before my recent retirement.  I recently unearthed it from my Subaru and must recommend it to you all.  She has such a gift for writing and for taste that I am almost able to taste the flavor from her brief descriptions.  I am going to make baked apples, latkes (with our beloved Steve Shaw in mind),  Cioppino, and Kim Chi. What  do you think?

I think you'll need to take some photos and show us the results!  I've never cooked from any of her books, but 1000 Foods to Eat Before You Dieir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=076114168 looks like an interesting read.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

For two years I worked in my company's New York office.  The boss who was a serious gourmand (and cooked in his corner office) knew her well.  I was lucky enough to meet her and join the two of them for many New York lunches.  

She more than anyone encouraged me to get serious and learn to cook;  something I've never regretted.

In those days, I thought the New York Times film critic was the best in the country, read everything he wrote.  I followed Ms. Sheraton that way, too.  And, yes, I have many of her books.

• Like 2

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher