• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

no10

no10

I purchased a mold from Chef Rubber (CW2295), and it arrived with scratched cavities (first two images). I went through the exchange process with CR and received a replacement mold. Upon inspection, the replacement mold also has scratched cavities (last three images). I contacted CR and they stated

“These can appear in the manufacturing but not affect the chocolate. We inspected it before it left and although we saw these lines they did not feel palpable to the touch and should not affect the chocolate. If they are not palpable they are just defects within the mould and wont hurt anything.”

I plan on casting the mold this weekend to see if the scratches show up on the product. I’ll update my post with the results.

Until then I have a question for @pastrygirl (and others that have purchased CW2295). @pastrygirl, I’ve read in other (older) posts that you frequently use(d) CW2295. Have you ever encountered these scratches before? If you don’t mind me asking, where do you purchase your CW2295 and other CW molds? Also, do the tops of the molds typically arrived scratched? As you can see from the last image, there’s a huge, deep gash on the face of the mold. This was also the case for the first mold.

IMG-1330.jpg

IMG-1334.jpg

IMG-1373_replacement.jpg

IMG-1372_replacement.jpg

IMG-1371_replacement.jpg

no10

no10

I purchased a mold from Chef Rubber (CW2295), and it arrived with scratched cavities (first two images). I went through the exchange process with CR and received a replacement mold. Upon inspection, the replacement mold also has scratched cavities (last two images). I contacted CR and they stated

“These can appear in the manufacturing but not affect the chocolate. We inspected it before it left and although we saw these lines they did not feel palpable to the touch and should not affect the chocolate. If they are not palpable they are just defects within the mould and wont hurt anything.”

I plan on casting the mold this weekend to see if the scratches show up on the product. I’ll update my post with the results.

Until then I have a question for @pastrygirl (and others that have purchased CW2295). @pastrygirl, I’ve read in other (older) posts that you frequently use(d) CW2295. Have you ever encountered these scratches before? If you don’t mind me asking, where do you purchase your CW2295 and other CW molds? Also, do the tops of the molds typically arrived scratched? As you can see from the last image, there’s a huge, deep gash on the face of the mold. This was also the case for the first mold.

IMG-1330.jpg

IMG-1334.jpg

IMG-1373_replacement.jpg

IMG-1372_replacement.jpg

IMG-1371_replacement.jpg