Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Cyberider

Breville "Smart" oven vs. Oster "dumb(?)" oven.

Recommended Posts

Dummies

 

all of of them .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IEATRIO said:

I have begun to experience a big problem on both of my SmartOvens though, in that the fancy circular power buttons no longer function reliably. They beep as if they've been activated when pressed, but most of the time the on/off switch has not actually been activated.  This is an annoying problem when turning the machines on, as sometimes you think the machine is on and preheating, only to return to a cold "off" oven.  Its a much worse and potentially dangerous problem though when the oven is on, and you think its been turned off, but in fact remains on.  It sometimes takes 10 presses or more to work the switch.

 

Ours has been the same for over a year.  I know it has been that long because I thought to replace it with a Cuisinart steam oven for Christmas 2016 but then BBB didn't really have a CSO to send me, in spite of accepting the order online.  So we kept on using the Breville.  Sometimes the problem seems a little better for a while, then a little worse.  I assumed that eventually I would be forced to replace it but I fantasized that Cuisinart might bring out a larger steam oven if I stalled, so I keep on jabbing at that button.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a different problem with my BSOA and replaced it with the Air.  I use it as my main oven and it gets a lot of use.   I'm curious to know if anyone has contacted Breville about this problem?  Seems rather widespread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Darienne said:

How long have you owned each oven?

 

We have found  that all electronic products simply fail after a certain length of time.  Just part of this AI life we lead.  

 

We used to shop at a certain local appliance dealer which closed up years ago.  DH was a former teacher of one of the employees who told him that if someone gets five years from a stove, fridge, etc...that person is very lucky.  

 

Both of them are at least a few years old, but certainly not old enough that I would expect them to both be failing (and potentially dangerous) due to the same faulty part.  Nothing lasts forever, but I would expect domestic kitchen products, particularly solid state bits on supposedly premium products that cost several hundreds of percent more than the average toaster oven, to last for a reasonable amount of time.  I'm pretty disappointed and my experience has definitely dissuaded me from purchasing other Breville products with the same circular buttons (although I don't know whether they have the same problem or not or if its just the SmartOven).

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IEATRIO said:

 

Both of them are at least a few years old, but certainly not old enough that I would expect them to both be failing (and potentially dangerous) due to the same faulty part.  Nothing lasts forever, but I would expect domestic kitchen products, particularly solid state bits on supposedly premium products that cost several hundreds of percent more than the average toaster oven, to last for a reasonable amount of time.  I'm pretty disappointed and my experience has definitely dissuaded me from purchasing other Breville products with the same circular buttons (although I don't know whether they have the same problem or not or if its just the SmartOven).

 

 

I agree.  My Sharp Convection/Microwave oven lasted for 21 years and then the convection oven stopped heating but the microwave continued working just fine for another 5 years.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2018 at 9:47 AM, Anna N said:

Same here.  So far only annoying. 

 

Good luck.  I'm on my 3rd BSO.  Would've completely quit them if not for BB&B's replacement policy.

 

The build quality is not very good, considering that $29 toaster ovens' are better.  The controls are flimsy and fritzy, and that f^c&ing thermal fuse Breville uses (less than the top set temperature!) is enough reason to never buy one of these. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My sense is that the Breville Air is better built. But time will tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, gfweb said:

My sense is that the Breville Air is better built. But time will tell. 

 

The racks are heavier, that's true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, boilsover said:

 

The racks are heavier, that's true.

And the dials are more substantial. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, boilsover said:

 

Good luck.  I'm on my 3rd BSO.  Would've completely quit them if not for BB&B's replacement policy.

 

The build quality is not very good, considering that $29 toaster ovens' are better.  The controls are flimsy and fritzy, and that f^c&ing thermal fuse Breville uses (less than the top set temperature!) is enough reason to never buy one of these. 

That thermal fuse issue certainly should earn the engineer his/her walking papers. That's pretty egregious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, chromedome said:

That thermal fuse issue certainly should earn the engineer his/her walking papers. That's pretty egregious. 

 

Yes.  When the first oven failed, I read up on how to "fix" it by replacing the fuse (about $1 from Radio Shack).  There are YouTube vids, but don't waste your time--they changed the design to prevent user replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2018 at 8:13 PM, boilsover said:

 

Good luck.  I'm on my 3rd BSO.  Would've completely quit them if not for BB&B's replacement policy.

 

The build quality is not very good, considering that $29 toaster ovens' are better.  The controls are flimsy and fritzy, and that f^c&ing thermal fuse Breville uses (less than the top set temperature!) is enough reason to never buy one of these. 

 

Can you please explain the issue with the thermal fuse?  Is that part of the issue with the defective switch? Or is that a separate issue?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IEATRIO said:

 

Can you please explain the issue with the thermal fuse?  Is that part of the issue with the defective switch? Or is that a separate issue?

 

Separate issue.  The oven just CATOs if the fuse reaches its blow temp--which is less than the oven's max temp.  Nifty, huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boilsover said:

Separate issue.  The oven just CATOs if the fuse reaches its blow temp--which is less than the oven's max temp.  Nifty, huh?

Sorry...,but does CATO mean Catastrophe at Take Off?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2018 at 3:29 PM, Darienne said:

Sorry...,but does CATO mean Catastrophe at Take Off?

 

Bingo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just discovered that two 8" cake pans will fit at one time in the Oster oven.  Up until now, I've always used the big built-in oven for layer cakes because I had to.  Glad I thought to check and it worked out perfectly.  This will be particularly useful during the hot summers here in the desert.  Sorry, only one pan at a time in the Breville!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cyberider said:

I just discovered that two 8" cake pans will fit at one time in the Oster oven.  Up until now, I've always used the big built-in oven for layer cakes because I had to.  Glad I thought to check and it worked out perfectly.  This will be particularly useful during the hot summers here in the desert.  Sorry, only one pan at a time in the Breville!

I bake my angel food cakes in there in my TALL angel food pain with the feet, that certainly would not fit into a shallower oven.  

I do have to remove the top shelf for it to fit, but there is generous room for the cake to rise well above the rim of the pan.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My Waring Pro died today.   Been reading this thread from start to finish and I think I will buy the Oster with French Doors today.

A local store, London Drugs has the Digital model on sale for $169.00 Canadian.   

I was trying to find some advice as to whether the manual dials had less problems than the digital but couldn't find anything  on that, so since

the price is right I'm just going to go with the Digital.  

 

I use the CSO for almost everything, but the Waring came in handy for when I wanted to roast a larger bird/ham, etc...

 


Edited by Ann_T (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

My Waring Pro died today.   Been reading this thread from start to finish and I think I will buy the Oster with French Doors today.

A local store, London Drugs as the Digital model on sale for $169.00 Canadian.   

I was trying to find some advice as to whether the manual dials had less problems than the digital but couldn't find anything  on that, so since

the price is right I'm just going to go with the Digital.  

 

I use the CSO for almost everything, but the Waring came in handy for when I wanted to roast a larger bird/ham, etc...

 

The new Breville air is a bit bigger and has nice features. Not cheap but worth a look, perhaps

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ann_T said:

My Waring Pro died today.   Been reading this thread from start to finish and I think I will buy the Oster with French Doors today.

A local store, London Drugs as the Digital model on sale for $169.00 Canadian.   

I was trying to find some advice as to whether the manual dials had less problems than the digital but couldn't find anything  on that, so since

the price is right I'm just going to go with the Digital.  

 

I use the CSO for almost everything, but the Waring came in handy for when I wanted to roast a larger bird/ham, etc...

 

I've had no problems with the digital controls on my Oster.  I love it. I can put tall vessels in it that would not fit in the other countertop ovens, not even in my Cadco.

I didn't think to take a photo.  I baked a fantastic cheese souffle last Sunday that 3 inches above the top of the baking dish and had plenty of room.  I used regular BAKE, not the turbo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@gfweb,  I did look at the Breville Air. And the BSO.   The Breville Air was  $300 more and for what I wanted it for I think the Oster will do the trick.  Basically it will

just be used for roasting larger meats than what will fit in the CSO.  Not sure but I think the Oster is bigger.   Will hold  2 - 16" pizzas.  Although I don't plan to bake my pizzas in either oven.

 

@andiesenji,  good to know.  Thank you.  Going to go into town after work and pick up the Oster.

 

Ann

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Oster french door with the manual controls.  I ended up using a sharpie and an oven thermometer to note the actual temps around the dial since the printed ones were off by quite a bit.   But I love the thing.  The size is perfect for my needs and a bonus is that I can use it as a dehydrator (hello Beef Jerky and Biltong!) in the convection mode at the very low temps settings.   I don't love the broiler option on mine, but I rarely broil anything, so it might be operator misunderstanding.   I've had mine a couple years, I got a smoking deal of $99.00 delivered off Amazon, if I recall correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I am drawn to the Oster but I’m so addicted to my Breville smart oven that even when it fails, and it’s threatening to do so, I don’t think I can drag myself away and switch to the Oster. Sad. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Anna N said:

 I am drawn to the Oster but I’m so addicted to my Breville smart oven that even when it fails, and it’s threatening to do so, I don’t think I can drag myself away and switch to the Oster. Sad. 

That's what happened with me.  Love BSOair. And I love the CSO...complimentary units. 


Edited by gfweb (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, gfweb said:

That's what happened with me.  Love BSOair. And I love the CSO...complimentary units. 

 

So let me understand – – – did you replace the Breville smart oven with the Breville air?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×