• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville "Smart" oven vs. Oster "dumb(?)" oven.

Cyberider

4 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

I've certainly enjoyed mine. I no longer have a Costco membership but I have a friend that does and I am tempted to go buy a back up for the one I have.

But have you used it for dehydration, @andiesenji? How did that work out? 

Edited to add: I have no doubts about the basic oven 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

2 hours ago, FauxPas said:

But have you used it for dehydration, @andiesenji? How did that work out? 

Edited to add: I have no doubts about the basic oven 

Sorry. No.  I have an excalibur dehydrator.  I've had them for decades this is about the 6th one. At one time I had 2 9-tray and one 4-tray all in use at the same time.  The Oster will probably work more rapidly, I've just never needed it.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

8 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Has anyone tried this? What about you, @Ann_T?

I  use the non-digital version for beef jerky, biltong, dehydrated mushrooms, and I think tomatoes once.   I bought some of these and cut them to size for the racks to lay the food on during dehydrating.   I think I get really good results.  I had to test with an oven thermometer to find out the dial position/actual set temp because the marked temps are not accurate.  This oven lives on my patio all the time.  I now use it for all my baking.  My range oven is now a storage area for cast iron and other pans.  

I am strongly considering taking advantage of the Costco deal also, I really love this oven, especially at that price.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Has anyone tried this? What about you, @Ann_T

@FauxPas, No I haven't got around to using the dehydrating setting yet. 

8 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I've certainly enjoyed mine. I no longer have a Costco membership but I have a friend that does and I am tempted to go buy a back up for the one I have.

@andiesenji, I've been tempted to buy a second one too.   I have the digital oven, but I saw the non digital at Costco in Victoria recently for $129.   Very tempted.

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

I  use the non-digital version for beef jerky, biltong, dehydrated mushrooms, and I think tomatoes once.   I bought some of these and cut them to size for the racks to lay the food on during dehydrating.   I think I get really good results.  I had to test with an oven thermometer to find out the dial position/actual set temp because the marked temps are not accurate.  This oven lives on my patio all the time.  I now use it for all my baking.  My range oven is now a storage area for cast iron and other pans.  

I am strongly considering taking advantage of the Costco deal also, I really love this oven, especially at that price.

@lemniscate,  I am also using my range oven as storage .  Haven't used it once since I bought the CSO and the Oster French Door oven.     

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

I was making three pizzas last night and decided to bake one in the Oster just to see how it would turn out as compared to baking on 

the stone on the grill.

1346571895_MargheritaSourdoughcrustMarch3rd20191.thumb.jpg.6817ca3912069b29212a2b57a02d1f6e.jpg

I used the Forkish method of preheating the stone on the top rack position and then giving it a blast with the broiler before sliding in the pizza.

I used the turbo convection setting and finished under the broiler for the last couple of minutes.  

1952199258_MargheritaSourdoughcrustMarch3rd2019rim2.thumb.jpg.ac7a780b365678c1a4efc7fb80cf3050.jpg

Was pleasantly surprised with the results. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

I was inspired by the Trader Joe's Semi Dried Antipasto veg to see if I could do something similar homemade.   I was at the Chinese market and picked up Asian eggplants and largish zucchini.   I sliced them 1/4" minus and seasoned, put them on my grill mats in the Oster oven at about 110F for 2-3 hours.   I tossed the semi dried pieces in a cambro, doused with Greek olive oil, salt, and dash or two of balsamic.  Not pretty like the TJ's stuff, since just eggplant/zucchini experiment,   But it is close in texture and taste to me.  I didn't add a ton of olive oil since I'm pretty sure these will soak up as much as you can add (trying to hold down the calorie count on the dish).  I ate some over rice.   I think these would be great on pizza, or added to pasta sauce or cold in a salad.

IMG_7753.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 11:13 AM, lemniscate said:

I was inspired by the Trader Joe's Semi Dried Antipasto veg to see if I could do something similar homemade.   I was at the Chinese market and picked up Asian eggplants and largish zucchini.   I sliced them 1/4" minus and seasoned, put them on my grill mats in the Oster oven at about 110F for 2-3 hours.   I tossed the semi dried pieces in a cambro, doused with Greek olive oil, salt, and dash or two of balsamic.  Not pretty like the TJ's stuff, since just eggplant/zucchini experiment,   But it is close in texture and taste to me.  I didn't add a ton of olive oil since I'm pretty sure these will soak up as much as you can add (trying to hold down the calorie count on the dish).  I ate some over rice.   I think these would be great on pizza, or added to pasta sauce or cold in a salad.

Those look gorgeous to me.  Have you ever tried Argan oil as a dresseing/finishing oil?  It has a distinctive flavor that complements so many foods.  I add it to pilaf, plain rice, couscous, mushrooms, roasted eggplant/tomatoes/fingerling potatoes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

13 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Have you ever tried Argan oil as a dresseing/finishing oil? 

I haven't....yet.   I will look into getting some.  I do have some Styrian pumpkin seed oil (I forgot I had it until now), I bet that would be good drizzled over the veg.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/11/2018 at 8:38 PM, Ann_T said:

Still putting the Oster through its paces.Baked a large round in a Dutch Oven tonight.

Baked for 30 minutes with lid on and then another 25 minutes ...

How long does it take the Oster to reach 450 (preheat) with the Dutch Oven?